Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NavMan 3000 sleeve/TomTom 2/iPAQ3870
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NavMan 3000 sleeve/TomTom 2/iPAQ3870

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: NavMan 3000 sleeve/TomTom 2/iPAQ3870 Reply with quote

Wonder if you could help? The TomTom software seems to have installed OK but I can't get the GPS to look for a fix. I installed the NavMan Serial Driver 3.1.6 and the drop-down options are now set at TomTom GPS (iPAQ sleeve) GPS Receiver. I am guessing that it is looking for a fix when there is some movement on the icon

Also, on a reset it tells me that the CF card in the sleeve is not recognised (even though TomTom reads the map data from it) - how do I cure that?

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Navman 3000 sleeve or one with Compaq iNS System on the front sleeve?

I ask because the fact you are still getting the CF Not recognised error suggests that either the Serial Driver did not install correctly or you do not have the Navman version of the jacket?
Gollom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: IPAQ 3870, iPAQ NAVMAN1000, TomTom V2 and Co-Pilot Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - the notification mail arrived just as I finally sorted it out!

For what it is worth (and to maybe help others) I have an iPAQ 3870 with ROM 2.20, iPAQ Navigation System which I believe is a NavMan 3000 with Pocket Co-Pilot and Tom-Tom v2 with the v2.24 update. The map data for Co-Pilot is on a 128MB CF card and the TomTom data is on an IBM 1MB MicroDisk.

I did a hard reset on the iPAQ (two bottom application buttons and the reset button for a couple of seconds) This totally wipes the iPAQ of course..... I'm lucky as I use the 3870 just for SatNav - I have a 5550 for everyday use!

In order, I:

1) Installed ActiveSynch 3.70 (no NavMan jacket attached)
2) Soft Reset
3) Installed Co-Pilot (NavMan jacket attached with 128MB CF card inserted)
4) Soft Reset
5) Installed NavMan 3.1.6 Serial Driver (no NavMan jacket attached)
6) Soft Reset
7) Installed TomTom V2 (no NavMan jacket attached)
7a) Soft Reset
9) Installed TomTom 2.24 update (no NavMan jacket attached)
10) Soft reset
11) Attached NavMan jacket with 1 GB MicroDisk inserted)
12) Launched GPS on iPAQ and altered settings to reflect NAVMAN GPS1000 and GPS Receiver COM5:

It now at least has some activity on the screen that indicates it is looking for a satellite now (not been outside yet but will try tomorrow - I'll repost should I still have problems!!

Be Happy!
Laughing
zed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Navman 3000 and IPAQ 3870/5550 Reply with quote

Thanks for that really helpful post.

I've just bought an Ipaq 5550 to upgrade from a 3870, I've actually got the Navman jacket that came as part of the ipaq navigation system, using the instructions above, i've managed to get tomtom 2 to work with this jacket on my h5550!

In the GPS setting though, I found that selecting GPS 3000 on COM 4 works perfectly. Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small observation that will simplify matters here:

The Ipaq Navigation System Jacket (iNS) which is re-branded CoPilot software so for the same applies to both iNS and CoPilot, although apparently identical to the Navman 3000 Jacket is not the same. It has different firmware which enabled iNS/CoPilot software which was hardware locked to the specific iNS version of the Navman Jacket to ensure that it could only be used with this jacket.

If you have CoPilot/iNS installed then you should be able to use TomTom without any issue as the serial drivers are included in the installation, however, uninstall CoPilot/iNS and it you will lose the ability to access the GPS from TomTom.

To use TomTom without the rigmorole of having iNS/CoPilot installed, locate the 'GPS Driver' folder on the CoPilot/iNS installation CD. This contains the correct serial driver in .cab format. Navman's 3.1.6 driver is no good to iNS/CoPilot Jacket owners, it is written for Navman 3000 series Jackets and you MUST use the CoPilot/iNS Specific version to gain access.

The drivers are available at www.griffinnet.co.uk/downloads.htm for simplicity Thumbs Up
NoFix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an iPaq Navigation System v1.2 (iNS) jacket and bought TomTom 3 and cant get a fix. I can pickup a number of Sats but TT won't give me a position. I've installed the INS driver insnavman.arm.cab and can use GPS info diagnostics to get a fix.

TT GPS is set for (iPAQ sleeve) on Com7 which should be correct as that is what GPS Info diagnostics uses.

I figure that I don't need the origional iNS/CoPilot from Darren's posting. I also know that the iNS is not the fastest at finding sats.

Q. Do differnet jackets present GPS data in different formats?

Q. Any idea why I can't get a fix?

Thanks
NoFix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working!

IT was a question of going back to the start.

1) install CoPilot from origional image on CF card
2) install TomTom 3 with the jacket installed

thats it.

In the meantime I had tried various drivers for the jacket including insnavman.arm.cab and NavMan 3.1.6 Serial Driver plus TT GPS 2.07 and upwards. Was always able to see the sats but TT could not get a fix. GPS info dignostics would take a few minutes.

So what is it about TT GPS that makes it so particular about the info it recieves?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom isn't the problem here, as with any other satellite application it requires information from a number of NMEA Sentences in order to function including GSV and GGA.

It would seem that for some reason the Navman TomTom drivers are turning off this info whereas the CoPilot Jacklet driver does not. The solution to using TomTom without installing CoPilot is to use Winfast Navigator to see which NMEA sentences have been disabled and turn them back on. TomTom will then run happily.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: