Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vauxhall Zafira ?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vauxhall Zafira ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Encantador
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Vauxhall Zafira ????? Reply with quote

Anyone know whether my VZ windscreen might be causing a problem?
Bought TTG today, drove 15 miles (town & country) lost signal about 15-20 times.
We are talking North Midlands, not North Scotland. Could it be the windscreen or a faulty unit? How do you tell.

Thanks in advance.

PS Wil be buying a new Renault Grand Scenic in Jan, anyone know whether that might cause a problem.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are the cars that cause issues... have you tried putting the antenna onto the roof (just for test)? If that works then you may want to get an antenna extender or a reradiating antenna.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vauxhall Zafira ????? Reply with quote

Encantador wrote:
Anyone know whether my VZ windscreen might be causing a problem?

Almost certainly. It is very likely that you will have the same problem in the Renault too. GPS does work through these windscreens, but only just.

Does the windscreen have an odd bronze (Zafira) or blue (Renault) tinge to it? If it does then it is a heat reflecting windscreen with a metalic coating. This seems to be standard equipment on these cars since about 1999/2000.

Look closer and you may notice that there is a clear space around the internal rear view mirror. This is where you can mount your aerial or better still, mount it outside the car.
VEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Renault G-Scenic Reply with quote

FYI I have a new Grand Scenic and have no problem with my TT2 system with a CF based GPS Unit. Even received 12 Sateliltes a couple of times!

It works as well as it did in my old vx220 and that was a soft top!

Not sure how TT-Go differs in sensativity over the PocketPC based systems though.
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<We are talking North Midlands, not North Scotland. >

Not sure how to interpret that remark ... ;-)
Satellites - unlike the Westminster government - treat Scotland exactly the same as any other part of the world. Equally.

I'm getting 8-9 satellites regularly in North Scotland. And that's in a VW Passat without an external aerial. Your reception problems are more likely to stem from being in a high-building, built-up area than from any geographical factor ...

C
Encantador
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Sorted..... Reply with quote

It is the windscreen, but works fine attached to the drivers door window.
Just need to remember not to open the window in a hurry.
VEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: just to confirm Reply with quote

My TT2 is mounted in the bottom right corner of the front windescreen of the Scenic.

VEX

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: