Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - where to get older navmanst or tomtom software ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

where to get older navmanst or tomtom software ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: where to get older navmanst or tomtom software ? Reply with quote

Where can I find older smartst or tomtom software - I'm on a tight budget at the moment but need full western europe as well as uk maps and 3D plus voice but can't afford tomtom3 or smartst v3 as I would need to spend a lot to get full europe maps ?

Hard to find anything - where are all these old cd-roms stashed away !!?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are retailers that are still stocking the V2 software but most of it's with the Navman Bluetooth GPS, so you could buy this and sell the GPS on ebay.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect much old stock, especially of TomTom products, has long since gone. I suspect it was remaindered a long time ago, sold off as "you have install, activate then apply and pay a minimal handling charge for the latest version" or possibly returned to the manufacturer for exchange for latest version products.

TomTom Navigator 2 may well be a bad choice now - the maps are around two years old, there's no official support for Pocket PC 2003, let alone Second Edition, and you may find it just doesn't work properly on some hardware. There's also likely no upgrade path to the future - the Navigator 3 upgrade deal was only open from Navigator 2 and not Navigator 1. Meanwhile, the ability to upgrade to Navigator 3 from Navigator 2 ended last week.

In the end, I suspect hunting down old TomTom software will be a false economy - unless you find a copy particularly cheap (as you may if someone that has upgraded sells his or her Navigator 2 pack - which is of dubious legality).

Old Navman software is more likely to be found, as version 3 has only just launched and isn't yet available on all platforms - but Navman upgrades tend to be expensive.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - as a stopgap will the old navman smartpath trip/city software work with any wired or BT receiver as I'm selling my gps 1000 etc and may have to wait a bit before I can buy new software?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of licence agreements - if you sell the GPS 1000, you might be selling the right to use the software, even if you hang on to the CD.

If that software uses TomTom GPS, then you could try upgrading to the latest version of TomTom GPS. If that works, it is probably possible to use other GPS hardware, though you may find that there is some kind of lock to stop the software working with other than the GPS 1000.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same software that came with my first Navman sleeve then there are no licence restrictions as regards restricting its use to the hardware with which it came. Mine was also called Smartpath City and Smartpath Trip, which was effectively rebadged Tomtom Citymaps and Routeplanner, or something like that. The CDs contained PC, PPC and Palm variants if I remember correctly and the software wasn't tied to the hardware, either.

Hopefully, Pezzer, yours is the same.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like pezzer may well have a plan coming together then! The latest version of TomTom GPS can be found at support.tomtom.com

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great - my wife is also getting a M1000 through Orange so we eventually want to use the same software ( I guess it's Ok to do this from a licensing point of view - ie TomTom 3 or similar?) for hers and my iPAQ and in the interim I want to keep using the old SmartPath stuff.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one copy of TomTom Navigator per Pocket PC. I have a TomTom licence agreement here - this is part of the UK licence:

1) GRANT OF LICENCE:This TomTom License Agreement ("License") permits you to use the TomTom computer program and the digital (map) data included in the accompanying package acquired with this License on any single computer, provided that the Software is installed on only one computer at any time and provided the Software is combined with only one (1) navigation system. This License is non-exclusive and non-transferable.

This License does not imply any rights to future upgrades or updates of the Software. The use of any upgrades or updates of the Software is governed by this License and may be subject to additional payments.

I think that's pretty clear.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal !!

I can understand the reasons ,but it's a bit rough if you own two PDA's which as I'm buying my wife's, I effectively will.
antibt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember of seeing the maps for pocket pc on auction in ebay.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got two machines, and two copies of Navigator 3. It's rare that both are used together, but as each now has its own SD card and GPS, there was no alternative to paying up for a second copy of Navigator 3.

I may be a moderator here and have worked with TomTom on various things, but I paid full price for the software pack. It's worth it - it's saved my mother so much time and energy these past few weeks since she took over my old setup.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: