Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DCONNEX DC230 - TOM TOM 3 - XDAII
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DCONNEX DC230 - TOM TOM 3 - XDAII

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: DCONNEX DC230 - TOM TOM 3 - XDAII Reply with quote

Hi All

I have just purhcased a DConnex DC-230 and have an XDAII, i am running Tom Tom 3 software.
I cannot get the tom tom to get a fix on a satelite i always get unreliable signal and no bars on the indicator or anything.
I can get the receiver to work when the GPS viewer is running, or rather i get lines of data but no fix.

I cannot see the reicever in the TOm Toms list, so am not sure what to select. I know the port is Com5 from the search on the Veiwer.

Can anyone help i am really frustrated with it
Thanks

Jonnyb11
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receiver has to have a clear view of the sky, that means not being indoors. You should also try it outside of a car first just in case you have an athermic windscreen which will dampen the sat data.

You should also allow for a 15 min fix because you may need to perform a factory fix, and this can take 12.5 mins. Make sure the GPS is still and you are not driving, and eventually you should see a 3D fix (4+ sats).
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Dave
Thanks very much, that worked a treat, just needed a little bit of experience.

Thanks again, i am sure i will be back with more questions, great site by they way, loadsa good info

cheers
Jonnyb11
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, just a matter of interest, which resolved the problem ? Was it the indoors, the long waiting or the athermic windscreen ?

Last edited by Dave on Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: resolve Reply with quote

Well i was indoors, i went outside (bloody cold here in the UK) and left it for 10 mins or so, i got the red bars after 3 sats had been found,t hen Tom Tom kicked in and started telling me to turn left and stuff.
I am assuming it was the out doors thing. I have not yet had a chance to try it in the car, but i will let you know how i get on when i do.

I aim to leave the receiver int he car most of the time so i hope i wont have trouble aquiring all the time

Jonnyb11
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have something like a Renault or a Peugeot then you'll probably have an athermic windscreen. Some other cars may also have these, an easy way to tell is moving the receiver in and out of the car, if you get more signal strength (by about 4 or 5 bars) by moving it outside the car then you have an athermic windscreen and this can dampen reception, but hopefully you'll be okay.
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Another Prob Reply with quote

I now have an issue, when i try to start the TOm Tom software, it freezes up and doesnt do anything.

I could aquire atelites and even naigated home last night (first trial journey) but now it just freezes up all time

Any ideas?
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: addition Reply with quote

I have just run the wizard wich runs fine but the software and the GPS software cant start. Its really getting on my nerves now, I have tried removing the software and reinstalling it, but it still pays up
I have also installed the 3.07 update from the Tom Tom site

still the same

any ideas greatly appreciated
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of TomTom locking up like this on an XDA before. The only thing I can think of is that it's down to something else you have installed, or a corrupt config file ?
jonnyb11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Sorted I think Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I think i sorted it out, i did the ROM upgrade to 1.7 and then a cold reset, which totally cleared the XDA II. I then reinstalled the TOM TOM thing and seems ok. The only thing now is that if i break the Bluetooth link, then swith the GPS unit back on or the CDA they dont re link. THey are bonded but dont find each other, I have to delete the pairing and re bond them.

Sorry for the hassle, i will get there in the end

Jonnyb11
eDsuB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see my post on this:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13648&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

T-Mobile MDA Vario IV
TTN7 / iGo8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: