Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Palm: postcode files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Palm: postcode files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: TT Palm: postcode files Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with adding full UK postcode support to TomTom Navigator for Palm (4.40) using the various postcode files to be found at PocketGPS and elsewhere.

As far as I can see there are two options:

1. The "codesearch" files from PocketGPS, where each .ov2 file contains one letter-pair e.g. Codesearch_IP_Anglia. This results in a total of 240 files (120 each of .bmp and .ov2) for the whole UK. They can be searched very rapidly.

2. The amalgamated postcode files available for the TT Go (which I believe uses the same software as the Palm version) from http://tim.odonnell.co.uk/ttg/ These are much larger but there are a lot less files - just 18. However it takes TT about 30 seconds to look up a postcode in one of these files.

Option 1 is preferable because of the virtually instantaneous lookup, but when I put all the files on the SD card not all of them are recognised. I assume this is because of some built-in limitation on the number of POI categories or files.

So ... is there such a limitation, and if so, what is it? If it's a limit on the number of files, can one do away with the .bmp files? Ideally I'd use the smaller codesearch files for areas I travel to regularly and the larger amalgamated files for less common ones. But before I decide which ones to use I need to know the magic number, i.e. how many custom POI files TT can handle.

Glenn.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: