Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN6xx V3 software available (was SmartSt V3 is available.)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN6xx V3 software available (was SmartSt V3 is available.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: iCN6xx V3 software available (was SmartSt V3 is available.) Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I looked at the Navman site and V3 of SmartSt for the iCN series (most of them!) is now available from thier own online store. :D

I've ordered the full european version - on the grounds that I will be going to europe in the near future and will be going to more than one country - and £80 a country seems steep when you can get the lot for £150. Or am I missing the point Question

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is the way I read it. I have my £150 ready for when the PPC version is released.
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those of us who only bought our systems a month or so ago? Where's the upgrade pricing?
Even if they don't want to do upgrades, where's the maps for SmartST V2? The support site still says that maps will be released every 8-10 months...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you contacted Navman about upgrade pricing? You can call their European Support number, which is +44 (0) 1293 780500 or email them at support (at) navman-europe.com.

If V3 has been released, I'm not sure why Navman would want to continue selling V2 maps, and presuming you have a Navman that you only purchased a month or so ago, it would have come with V2 maps anyway. Why would you want another set?
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

I think the point that Radionotme is trying to make is that if you decide you wish to stick with version 2 how do Navman propose to support it Question or at least that's how I read it.

It's a bit like the situation we were in when the iCN630 went from V1 to V2, but in that case they changed Map suppliers and we were given the FOC upgrade Exclamation .

Surely he's got a valid point. I think I'm right in saying that the V3 maps won't run on V2 so in essence how are Navman going to offer updated maps for V2 users who decide they don't want V3 Question

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfie,

You can use V2 maps with V3 software. I don't know if te reverse is true. I think it's fair to say that any new maps will probably come with a new front-end programme to drive them.
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I think it's fair to say that any new maps will probably come with a new front-end programme to drive them.

Look at the FAQ's on Navman's site - they don't say that at all. They say that new maps are released every 8-10 months.
To answer an earlier question, I want the new maps to cover such changes as the M6Toll, implemented for 12 months now but not in the V2 maps.

Regarding asking them - as soon as I realised the toll road wasn't in the maps I asked about upgrades. A reply came back that they didn't know when the upgrade would be released, or pricing but that 'last time it was a nominal fee of £30'. Further emails to them since the V3 announcement have not received replies.

Admittedly, the functionality of the V3 software would be nice, but having just paid out for the iPaq, GPS hardware and V2 software, I can't justify another £150 so soon. A 'nominal fee of £30' would be much more reasonable for just the up to date maps.

Maybe its just me they're ignoring - can anyone else ask them the question and see what they say?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the bit about 8-10 months, but I took it as being a new package, rather like Tomtom have done with their Navigator series. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I think that new maps would come with a new prog. as some of the map enhancements wouldn't work with the existing prog. (eg I think that you can use V3 maps on the iCN620, but without 3D and possibly some other stuff, too.)
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does that mean that they were lying about the previous map update costing £30 then? If not, then why isn't there an upgrade for a similar amount this time?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Navman product are you using? Alfie got his V1 to V2 upgrade for his iCN630 for free, so yes, I suppose Navman are lying when they said it cost £30.

I don't know the ins and outs of Navman's pricing policy, but if I were you I'd ask them where you stand.

Have you contacted Navman about an upgrade price?
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my previous post: -
"Regarding asking them - as soon as I realised the toll road wasn't in the maps I asked about upgrades. A reply came back that they didn't know when the upgrade would be released, or pricing but that 'last time it was a nominal fee of £30'. Further emails to them since the V3 announcement have not received replies. "

Maybe you could see if you have better luck getting an answer out of them than I have?
radionotme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm using the Navman 4410 - Ipaq 2210 bundle from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you'll just have to bide your time then, I'm afraid, along with the rest. V3 for the PPC hasn't yet been announced as a "Software only" package. It does exist though, as can be seen on Navman's website here.

I expect that when it has been officially announced then a pricing structure will also be revealed. At least, I hope so!!
Dan45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman announced in September that the new version would be available from Monday 4 October. I waited 2 weeks after that and nothing was available. I bought my system on 19 October, as I needed it for that weekend for two major trips.
I communicated with Navman since end of September regarding the upgrade for ver 3 for those who bought ver 2 within 30 days of release. They said they did not have the pricing policy yet, and it would be available as soon as ver 3 was available.
I called them today again. Their response is that I used my ver 2 for one month and I need to pay the full price for ver 3. The change for ver 1 to ver 2 was a promotion. Nothing of similar nature this time. No mercy, no kind gestures. They actually said that nobody forced me to buy ver 2. Smile Crying or Very sad
TomTom GO 950 Live
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are gradually beginning to see the situation developing at Navman wherby the honeymoon period appears to be over and the accountants are looking very carefully at their costings. After all why else would Navman suddenly decide to open it's own on line store Question

Tim is quite right in saying that I did get an upgrade from V1 to V2 for free ( albeit for a limited timescale). I think probably the rationale behind that was mainly because Navman had made a commercial decision to change from NavTeq to TeleAtlas. Had that not have happened, I'm under no illusion that I would have had to pay for any new map upgrade. One of the other problems was that there were a few gremlins in the original software which need sorting out.

Dan45 says:

Quote:
Their response is that I used my ver 2 for one month and I need to pay the full price for ver 3. The change for ver 1 to ver 2 was a promotion. Nothing of similar nature this time. No mercy, no kind gestures. They actually said that nobody forced me to buy ver 2.

And I must admit I wouldn't be none too happy if I had received an answer like that. Yes they might be quite right, nobody forced him to buy V2 Exclamation But then nobody forced him to buy Navman although I might hazard a guess and say "he bought it believing it to be the better product".

I think I've rambled on long enough, but I made the following point in reply to Radionotme's post several weeks ago and it's one that still has not been answered:

Quote:
Surely he's got a valid point. I think I'm right in saying that the V3 maps won't run on V2 so in essence how are Navman going to offer updated maps for V2 users who decide they don't want V3

I'm sure the answer will be 'They won't' therefore we will have to accept the situation and buy V3.

Me Exclamation I think I'll just sit awhile and wait and see, after all V3 has only just come out and aready it's had it's first SP update.

Regards to all

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: