Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera data base
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera data base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kblackburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: speed camera data base Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just recieved an ipaq 2210 blue tooth with tomtom3 gb maps, and would like to install the gatso camera data and the other relevent info to stop me getting flashed again. But been a complete numpty at this gps stuff, how do i go about installing the above, these ppc's don't appear to work like my own pc, ie hoe do you find the sd card that i put the gb map onto,
all help greatfully recieved

kevin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's four ways to install the database I know of.
  1. Use ActiveSync's Explore feature - select My Pocket PC, then browse into the storage card and map folder
  2. Remove the memory card from the device and put it in a card reader connected to your Pocket PC
  3. Use POIedit to synchronise the POI files via ActiveSync
  4. Use POIAssist, which is part of GPSAssist

I'd say they're in reverse order of preference - the best option is one of the last two, as that will help you keep the files up to date. I'm a particular fan of GPSAssist, though it's the only one in the list that's not free.

You will also need a POI warning program if you want speed camera warnings. If you install GPSAssist and pay the registration fee, that will do the job for you. A free alternative is CheckPOInt. Version 2.0.2 is particularly suited to using the Pocket GPS World databases - that's available in our Downloads area. If you want the latest version 3 release, you can get that free of charge from the CheckPOInt website.

David
kblackburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: speed cameras Reply with quote

David,

Thanks for the reply, I have allready installed checkpoint version 3, i think,i found an icon after installation but i don't know if it runs and after reading your reply, i thought i had better uninstall and install version2, but how do you uninstall on a ppc, i can't find anything that resembles the system on my pc(windows xp) so i'am at a total loss, what i need is step by step instructions, in plain english, not asking much am i.

thanks in anticipation

kevin
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To uninstall programs from PPC:

Start > Settings and click System Tab at bottom
There should then be an icon for Remove Programs
Select the one you want to remove and click the Remove bottom

Jobs a good 'un Smile
kblackburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo,

done that cheers,

Now as i understand it i need to down load POIedit or sumat similar, tried to get POIedit but it's not playing ball, so what about GPSAssist, is that any good, what's my next action to be taken, please help, i'm beining to think i might have been better just buying an all singing all dancing speedcamera detector.

thanks

kevin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you haven't configured CheckPOInt. To do that, run it, then tap on the icon at the bottom of your Today screen. You can then get to the various menus to configure it.

GPSAssist is a great piece of software (though I haven't yet got it to work properly on my iPAQ hx4700), but it does cost.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: