Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Back up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Back up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Back up Reply with quote

I have HP 2210 and TT3 with TT Blue tooth receiver. What I would like to know is is there any way of backing up the Tom Tom software. As every time my battery goes flat on the HP 2210 I have to re load the TT software.

I spoke to Tom Tom and they said that HP were going to bring out some software that will help to do that, is this true? and where can I get it?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people swear by Sprite Backup, which is an improved version of the backup utility which is already on your 2210. The upgrade version for 2210 owners only costs about $10 (I forget the exact figure, I bought mine some time ago) and can be downloaded at
http://www.spritesoftware.com
It can be configured so that it can replicate everything you had on your PDA before a crash or a hard reset. You back up onto a memory card, your PC, or both
Robin
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could back up with active sync if you wanted to

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Alix, but the advantage of Sprite is that if you back up onto a storage card, you can get all your PDA software up and running again by a single button press, even if you are out on the road
Robin
Mohan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

Thanks to Alix and Robin for a very immediate response. This may sound naive but do I have to back up everything on my PDA? I thought the MS Office software was on the "ROM" and thus didn't wipe off when the battery went down and the TT3 is on the "RAM" and that gets wiped.

The second question is how do you back up on to a card? Are there any step by step instructions anywhere?

Finally is the hard reset when you press the small button at the back of the PDA? How often can you do this and can it damage anything? Is the soft reset just switching the PDA on and off?

I would be really grateful if anyone could help.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mohan,

Sprite Back up is a very easy product to use. It will back up everything that you need, so in the event of a hard reset or a complete power drain of the battery; you will be able to restore the iPAQ to how it was when the backup was taken.

As long as you ensure that the box to create self-restoring Backup files is ticked then you’re OK. It will back up to the storage card. I have TTNav3, CheckPOInt 2.0.2, CoPilot5, Memory-Map all on my 2210 and Sprite Backup takes only 2˝ minutes to fully back up to the CF card.

The small hole at the back of the H2210 (under the same side as the catch of the battery cover) is for the soft reset. To perform a soft reset, use the stylus to press into that hole.

A hard reset is more dangerous as it will wipe the iPAQ (effectively setting it back to the day you go it out of the box for the first time). Therefore there are a few more buttons that you need to press in order to perform a hard reset.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
FRAZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: BACKUP ON HP2210 Reply with quote

I have been following recent threads on backing up tomtom 3+other ancillary gps and none gps software programs on an hp2210. I have an HP2210 with tt3, memory map, and they work flawlessly, however as an experiment I backed up using the ipaqbackup program and attempted a restore. Unfortunately it ended up "freezing" on the blue bar page (a previously reported fault). After another hard reset and manual install of programs, I purchased the sprite backup utility, backing up as a PBF file again gave the same result. I have now repeated the manual full installl, but was intreagued by the comment to backup as a "self restoring exe" file using sprite. I have done this but lost the nerve to see if this backup file will restore without stalling on the blue bar screen. Has anybody sucessfully accomplished this or is it doomed to fail as with the other attempts, if so is there another backup utility that is proven to work. I know the problem is with TT3 because all the backups without tt3 present on my 2210 fully restore problem free. Am I asking for utopia?

fraz
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in this thread, Sprite believe that Sprite Backup 3.1.3 should solve the remaining problems restoring systems backed up with TomTom GPS on them.

It's also recommended to upgrade to TomTom GPS 3.0.7; that combination is reported to restore OK on the iPAQ h2210 in the Sprite forums. However, I can't test it personally as I don't have access to an iPAQ h2210.

I haven't had any problems with restoring with TomTom GPS installed on my two machines (iPAQ h3970, ROM 4.00.08 which is the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade ROM; iPAQ hx4700, ROM 1.00.09).

Self-extracting backups are certainly recommended; you don't need to reinstall anything to restore a backup.

David
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 2210 and software as listed below and prior to my current version of Sprite, experienced all of the problems described in this thread.

If you purchase Sprite Backup of a version at least as high as the below, then you will achieve backups everytime so long as you remember to create it as self executing.

I have carried out full hard reset and backup many times from my storage cards with this version of Sprite and even store different configuration images for use when the situation demands.

Copies of the backup files can be placed elsewhere (hard disk) as extra insurance.

As an aside - when you create a backup file, you must test it otherwise it is worthless. Takes a little courage after previous problems, I know but logically there is no option!

In my view, Sprite is the best bargain in PPC software and once you have created a reliable backup, enables complete worry-free tinkering.

Steve
Nissan Connect
bhau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the tom tom site, I notice that they do not list the hp2210 as suitable for upgrading to 3.07. .. or have i missed something

Regards
Bhau
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's instructions aren't clear - but I read it that the upgrade is recommended for users of the listed machines (mainly WM2003SE machines) and optional for everyone else.

Like, I guess, other TomTom Traffic users, I received an email from TomTom today which asked me to complete a questionnaire and told me I must be running at least Navigator 3.06T - otherwise Traffic will stop working for me at the end of the month. The only version of Navigator with Traffic support currently available is 3.07T.

I tried Navigator 3.07 on an iPAQ h3970 running Pocket PC 2003, and it worked without any problems. As all earlier upgrades have been withdrawn, and the version of Navigator on many people's CDs doesn't work that well (being 3.01, complete with the address lookup flaws), I take it that 3.07 is open to anyone who wishes to install it.

Obviously, if anyone finds it doesn't work on their system, please post to say so!

David
johnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the recommendation from this forum, I bought the Sprite Premium 3 upgrade and installed it. Now both the original IPAQ Backup and the new Sprite Backup are listed in Programs and both seems to be runable. How do I get rid of the old IPAQ Backup (not just from Program but from PPC)?

BTW, did people install it in Card or main memory? I am a bit worried to see the memory dwindling down after a few installations.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPAQ backup is part of the ROM, so isn't deletable. I have installed the Sprite software to my iPAQ filestore and it runs fine from there.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprite Backup itself needs to go in main memory, because it's run via the notification database, and storage cards can be too slow to wake up. PocketMon needs to go in main memory too - all Today screen plugins must be in main memory, otherwise you can find your Pocket PC crashed to the point where you have to hard reset.

To get rid of iPAQ Backup, make sure you've turned off any scheduled or battery monitoring backups, then delete the shortcut from \Windows\Start Menu (it's probably in the Programs subdirectory). In fact, my preferred method is to move it to a new folder - \Windows\Start Menu disabled.

You gradually learn what has to go in main memory and what can go on an iPAQ File Store or memory card. A fair amount of software does have to go in main memory - that includes:
  • anything that goes on the Today screen (which includes software that contains Today screen plugins like Spb GPRS Monitor and Conduits Pocket Player, as well as standalone Today screen plugins like PItoday)
  • Soft Input Panels - the technical term for alternate input methods (in my case Fitaly and, for folding keyboard use, ZeNoKeyboard)
  • any drivers for add-on hardware, such as wireless network or Bluetooth cards
  • anything that uses notifications (programs like Sprite Backup and Pocket Informant, also TomTom GPS)
  • anything that hooks in closely to the Operating System (such as Spb Pocket Plus, Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic, Macromedia's Flash Player, also plug in or Bluetooth keyboard drivers)
  • software that refuses to install properly anywhere else (mentioning no names, Westtek - the Clearvue suite doesn't like being anywhere except main memory - other culprits here include Microsoft Reader).

I also choose to keep TomTom Navigator, the TomTom voice files and GPSAssist in main memory - which means that I have rather a lot of main memory in use!

On the other hand, all my games, third party ebook software, smartGSM, GPS utility software (like Winfast Navigator) and Ilium's excellent eWallet are in my iPAQ File Store.

David
bhau
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have almost everything installed on the SD card.
How do I go about moving some of the suggested programs to main memory?

Thanks
Bhau

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: