Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How accurate is the speed shown?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How accurate is the speed shown?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the best theoretical speed accuracy is in a GPS based navigation system when you're driving at constant speed and constant height above sea level on a straight road?

/Ulf

I would say the best theoretical (and practical) accuracy is 100%.
That would occur when you are stationary Smile

Ok.... I don't know the real answer

Pete
dibble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the very same check tonight on my way home. 70mph on the speedo and TT3 telling me 67mph. seems quite consistant with most on this thread.

Like your style PW!! Laughing

Dibs
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a single answer. As has been said several times on this and other threads, by law vehicles sold in the UK must have speedos which read between 0 and 10% fast. It's illegal to sell a car which underestimates speed. Typical values are about 3 or 4% fast - in my experience, Fords seem to overestimate speed by the greatest margin
Robin
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: TT3 speed accuracy Reply with quote

I am in a fortunate position in my job. I deliver new cars, mostly Fords, to private and public sector clients. This latter category extends to police forces and occasionally a car I am delivering will have an accurately calibrated speedo. When cruise control is set to 70mph on the speedo, my satnav (2210, Fortuna clip-on, TT3) indicates exactly 70! Likewise for 45mph, 60mph and 79 mph, the highest speed I ever drive. By and large most speedos indicate about 4 or 5 mph more than the actual speed.
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

This is very useful information, especially in these days of speed cameras etc. Being able to that extra 5mph legally can make quite a difference to your progress over long distances.

I noticed the speed difference (again about 6-10%) on a journey and it got me thinking that, if I continue to progress using my vehicle speedo (much easier and faster to read than tomtom - but the tomtom is acceptable) then the accuracy of tomtom's Estimated Time of Arrival is diminished. I can, for free, manipulate the average speeds in tomtom to reflect the 8% increase in vehicle speedo reading or (at a probably significant cost) re-calibrate my speedo in the car (possibly). Any comments ?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the logic. If you can determine experimentally that your speedo is, say, 10% fast at 70mph, why not just use your car speedo and drive at an indicated 77 mph on motorways?
Robin
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I don't understand the logic. If you can determine experimentally that your speedo is, say, 10% fast at 70mph, why not just use your car speedo and drive at an indicated 77 mph on motorways?
Robin

I agree that can be done but I'd rather the speedo read correctly (although if it's going to cost more than a tenner to get it calibrated....)

Plus - I can see my wife's face already when I try to justify my doing over 70 based on the relative merits of speeds calculated using satellites miles in the air compared to the speedo straight in front of my face. Me shudders.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kragbell wrote:
if I continue to progress using my vehicle speedo then the accuracy of tomtom's Estimated Time of Arrival is diminished.

I don't have experience with TomTom specifically, but Garmin and CoPilot Sat Nav systems seem to dynamically adjust the ETA based on your actual average speed.

I have seen this happen when travelling on a motorway in heavy traffic at say 40 MPH for a while then you speed up to 70 MPH (Wink) when the traffic clears and you can see the ETA count backwards as your average speed increases.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: