Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to change Sirf to NMEA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to change Sirf to NMEA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpiontek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: How to change Sirf to NMEA Reply with quote

HI,

I have an old iPaq 3630 with Destinator 3 installed and the Destinator GPS which is an re-packaged Leadtek 9531 GPS Receiver as I understand it. I'm not totally satisfies with the program and would like to cross-upgrade to the OnCourse Navigator US edition, and maybe get the European maps, too. A) Does anyone run the program on an old iPaq with 32 MB when the installation is on a CF card? Is that sufficient? B) I have, as mentioned, the Destinator GPS. Destinator reports the GPS on COM1 with SIRF protocol at 19200 Baud. I understand that Navigon needs NMEA as a protocol, so in order to use the GPS I would need to switch the protocol. I tried WinFast Navigator but couldn't get it to switch to NMEA, or at least I think I couldn't. Does anybody have any idea how to switch the protocols in order to get Navigator to work, in case 32 MB are enough? The instruction on how to use the WinFast program are somewhat cryptic..
I would really like to use the iPaq for the specific purpose even if it is slow because I like the volume of the sound (my Dell Axim X30 sounds anemic in comparison), I have accessories for it like a dual CF sleeve with battery, and I have the for it already. Does anybody have any suggestions? i would really appreciate your input.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Klaus
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) yes, this works fine - don't expect it to be as fast as the Destinator, though (well, you knew that already)

B) Crux_View should be able to help you out there

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
kpiontek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Lutz,

Thanks for the answer. I downloaded the newest version of the WinCE Navigator (for the Leadtek Smart Antenna GPS 9532) and that seemed to do the trick. Could the performance be improved with more memory or is the CPU/OS combination the culprit? I thought the ARM CPU was still pretty good overall, with only the newest XScale cpu's being really faster. I don't need 3D view. Or would it be just better to get a 1GB SD card, powered mount for the Axim 30 with speakers and use that instead? I'm open to your insights on running OnCourse Navigator on an iPaq 3600 series.

Thanks.

Klaus
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am runing OnCourse Navigator on a 3630. As stated in the review, the startup time is longer than with other programs, and the 3D rendering performance is sub standard. All the rest of the functions work as they do on faster machines.

The advantage of the 3630 is that you don't need to worry about speaker volume

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: