Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat BC-307 + Backpack with XDA II
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat BC-307 + Backpack with XDA II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastExpert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Globalsat BC-307 + Backpack with XDA II Reply with quote

Ok, that is unorthodox, I know.

I already have a BC-307 CompactFlash GPS which served me a good service with PCMCIA sleeve in my laptop.

Now I have bought XDA-II and naturally would like to protect my existing investments -- that is, to use BC-307 with this one as well.

Yes, sure, XDA-II itself only has SDIO/MMC slot, but I also happen to have a "Backpack" that was ordered at the same time with XDA. It's additional battery, CompactFlash slot, and VGA/S-Video output.

Thrilled, I put on the "Backpack" on XDA-II. There was only ONE way to plug the BC-307 CF GPS card. Dialog popped up, telling me smth like "Unrecognized card, please enter the name for it".

From my previous experience with PCMCIA sleeve I know this happens when you insert it the wrong side up. But in this case you physically can't insert it the other way round!

Any sound ideas? I would hate to have to splash another 100+ quid on a SDIO or BT receiver... Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BC-307 isn't fully WM2003 compatible which may be why you get that error. When I insert mine into a h2210 it's detected as a CF Modem.

I appreciate why you wish to make use of it but an XDAII, Backpack and CF GPS Hanging out the bottom is far from portable and the GPS is not in the best location. You really would be much much better off with a BT GPS which is by design cross platform compatible and can be used with whatever devices you have in a years time.
EastExpert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Darren.
Well, looks like it's time to open my wallet again.

Now, TomTom Navigator with its own Bluetooth receiver seems like an obvious deal - if I were judging merely by price, £165 for software + BT receiver.

There are other Bluetooth GPS receivers, however without a specific bundle, price is higher by £40 and more.

If only I knew how much (if any) worse - or better - would be TomTom's own receiver compared to third parties...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a TT BT GPS daily as my workhorse and it's served me well. You wouldn't be dissappointed with that package. It's on a par performance wise with it's compatriots but lacks a user replaceable battery.
newall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late probably but I can confirm that the problem with using the BC-307 in the XDAII backpack is that the card is going in the wrong way round (the only way it will go in)
I had the same problem and have just fixed it by dismantling the BC-307 and turning the CF connector round in the case. The BC-307 case now inserts in to the XDAII backpack the same as before but the connector is the other way up and it is working correctly.

Newall

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: