Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Expansys - I received a Malaysian specification iPAQ hx4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Expansys - I received a Malaysian specification iPAQ hx4700
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Expansys - I received a Malaysian specification iPAQ hx4700 Reply with quote

The issue of non-UK specification iPAQs has been covered before in this forum (particularly here). I want to make people aware of my recent experience with Expansys.

Early last week I ordered an iPAQ hx4700 from them described as (English Version). They do offer some machines which are definitely imports and clearly described as Asian versions or imports, but there was no such rider on this machine.

As can be seen in this thread of mine in the Expansys forums, I'm not the only person to receive a machine whose HP part number ended #ARE for Malaysia. I thought the HP label looked wrong, but couldn't remember the right code for UK (which is #ABU), and the last iPAQ I bought from Expansys was a UK English version.

The give-away was when I opened the documentation pack and found a warranty document only mentioning Far Eastern countries rather than an HP Global warranty document. Further checking revealed that the machine couldn't see one of my wireless LANs that operates on channel 13 - it had a US specification 802.11b chip which only works on channels 1-11.

At least some of the HP warranty checkers said the Malaysian machine only had a 1 year warranty (though there are opposing views in the Expansys forum, not least from some Expansys staff). I didn't get an iPAQ Choice brochure with a code for four free points with the Malaysian machine that is included with a UK specification machine.

A poster in the Expansys forums says that Malaysia uses the same power adapter as the UK. I accept to a point the views expressed by Expansys purchasing in their hx4700 forum that to meet high demand some Malaysian specification machines were supplied - but Expansys did not follow their supposed policy of stating "Asian stock" as mentioned in the post from Purchasing in this thread.

I am unclear whether Expansys deliberately sourced these machines from Malaysia to meet demand, or whether they were supplied to Expansys by HP's UK wholesalers because of the lack of UK specification machines. My phone conversation with Expansys' purchasing manager didn't clear this point up and I chose not to take it further.

As I discovered the issue within a few hours, before opening the software CD and removing any of the protective film apart from that over the screen (which I replaced with a new WriteSHIELD AG), Expansys were happy to allow me to return the machine for a full refund. When I got the refund, they not only refunded my Special Delivery costs in returning the unwanted machine, but they refunded the original carriage costs as well. They also sent a replacement for the WriteSHIELD that I agreed to leave on the machine by return.

Expansys' purchasing manager phoned me and offered to send me a UK specification machine when he had one in stock - but I managed to get a UK specification machine from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk the next day. globalpositioningsystems handled the situation where my credit card was declined really well. My card was cloned last month, and two orders of 400 pounds within a couple of days tripped the bank's anti-fraud system. globalpositioningsystems told me exactly what to say to the bank to get the transaction authorised and handled it from there very efficiently.

For me, anything other than a UK specification machine is unacceptable. It cost me a mere fiver more to order from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk - for that I get my iPAQ Choice points (worth far more than a fiver), no doubt as to having a two year hardware warranty (in many countries, iPAQs only have a one year warranty), and support for 802.11b channels 12 and 13.

Fortunately I hadn't activated my copy of TomTom Navigator 3 on the Malaysian machine, so there was no problem activating it on my UK spec hx4700.

With a certain two year warranty, there's no way I shall bother with a Care Pack - after two years, if the machine failed, I'd just replace it with something more up to date. My experience of sending away my old iPAQ h3970 under the standard warranty when the speaker failed was that HP's repair agents turned it around very quickly.

To be fair to Expansys, whilst I think they haven't handled the issue of supplying Malaysian hx4700s well (I suggested they ought to supply a warning leaflet with any Malaysian spec machines they send out to avoid unnecessary 'open box' returns), they remained professional, they handled the refund extremely speedily, and I will use them again.

Be aware - if you order an iPAQ, if the part number on the box doesn't end #ABU, it's not a UK specification machine.

David
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something to watch out for as it's quite common unfortunately. Widget do a similar thing in shipping eastern Ipaqs. A lot of those countries do use the same plugs as the UK (Malaysia definately does), so it's not always possible to tell.

One give away is that the price is often cheaper... I know at work we were looking at buying a large quantity of 2210s and had HP in to quote. They gave us a price that they said would be the best we could get, unless it was grey import (we actually got them cheaper from somewhere else in the end and they are UK spec). The guy said that HP are really clamping down on grey import stuff. If a HP-approved reseller is selling import stock they'll get their status revoked.

Also, watch out for the warranty as HP my well not support it at all, which could leave you up the creek a bit.

I'm suprised at such a big name as Expansys doing this though - it's quite unethical.

Bottom line is do not accept grey import stock (especially beware of Ebay!!!) as you only save a few quid and it's simply not worth it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your experiences.

I'm not entirely clear in this case whether the Malaysian iPAQ hx4700s were HP UK trying to clear the back-orders, or whether they were deliberately sourced by Expansys; my phone conversation with Expansys' purchasing manager wasn't entirely clear over this.

I'm choosing to take this as an unfortunate blip with an otherwise reliable company, and leave this thread as a warning to people to check carefully what they've received when they order an iPAQ. As you say, HP may kick up a fuss over supporting iPAQs they decide are grey imports, and I'm glad I held out for a UK English machine.

Meanwhile, I certainly will be using Expansys again; they're normally a completely reliable supplier.

Full marks are due to Expansys for the speedy way they agreed to a refund and dealt with the returned package when they received it.

I've no problem with them clearly offering imported machines marked as such - and I do wonder whether there's been some kind of breakdown in communications internally to Expansys over these Malaysian hx4700s.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point about the care pack is that it is not just an extended warranty. If offers next day replacement during the whole warranty. This is well worth it as being without your iPAQ for two weeks whilst it is fixed (or more likely replaced with a refurbished) is not a good situation to be in.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true - Care Pack is next day exchange, warranty on a UK machine is 5 working days repair or exchange.

My only experience of the standard HP warranty was good - my iPAQ h3970 developed a speaker fault; it was picked up by UPS the next day, repaired and sent back by UPS within three or four days. I got my own machine back - which saved the hassle of dealing with a machine with a different hardware ID.

Especially as I can, at a push, get my hands on my old machine, I don't see the need for a Care Pack personally - but other people may have different opinions and needs.

David
Tripper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to join the thread as I have just received my 2210 from E-Buyer, who have given me good service in the past. The first thing I saw was a sticker on the side of the box saying "NOT INTENDED FOR SALE IN EUROPE"

HP were very quick in their reply (this same afternoon) and firmly said there was no warranty with this device and it should be returned. I am still awaiting response from E-Buyer and will let you know how it goes.

I just wanted to warn anyone thinking of buying to be aware. I have to say I'm totally confused that anyone would want a new machine with no warranty, or that a company would sell such an item.

Keith.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

If you didn't open the iPAQ box and you bought the device as consumer, you have guaranteed rights to return it under the EU Distance Selling Directive.

The reason for 'grey imports' is simply money - if the vendors can get product from abroad more cheaply than they can get product from UK wholesalers, it means more profit for them.

With an iPAQ h2210, you wouldn't have any issues with 802.11b, as there's no Wi-Fi support built in. However, you'd lose any iPAQ Choice points that may come with a UK specification machine, and you may have problems if you tried to claim on the warranty.

This is clearly an important issue - I've posted details of how to check HP part numbers in a sticky post at the top of this forum. Good luck in sorting out the problem - do keep us updated on what happens.

David
norfolkmustard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: dammit Reply with quote

just received my hx4700 from GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEMS, and it's got a bloody #ARE P/N number!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripper wrote:
NOT INTENDED FOR SALE IN EUROPE"

HP were very quick in their reply (this same afternoon) and firmly said there was no warranty with this device and it should be returned.

The statement you attribute to HP is a direct contradiction to the statement on HP's website regarding warranties.

http://www.hp.com/bizsupport/warranty_upgrades/global_warranty.html

I suggest that you confront HP with this statement and ask for a clarification. It seems to me that this talk about grey imports having "no warranty" is just scaremongering to keep the price of "UK Spec" units artificially high.

I fully agree that products should be identified as "Grey Import" or "UK Specification". For some reason the UK market iPaqs are much more expensive than in other countries, so if you brought a unit which is not as described then you are entitled to a refund under UK consumer law.
Tripper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome David, it is appreciated.

At the moment I'm waiting for Ebuyer to reply to my RMA request. They seem to be struggling to improve this area and I guess Xmas doesn't help. Rolling Eyes

Skippy, very interesting link to the HP website. They now have a small email asking them to explain the apparent anomalies. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Keith.
Tripper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well the latest news is that having contacted HP customer support again quoting from their own website (Skippy's link) I received the following reply:

Quote:
Dear HP Customer,

Thank you for contacting HP eServices.

We understand your concern and regret the inconvenience in this regard.

Please note that some units are manufactured specifically for a geographical area. Such units will not have World Wide warranty as mentioned in our web site.

We hope that above information will answer your query to your satisfaction. Please e-mail us if you need any clarification and we will be glad to help.

Thank you,

HP eServices

End quote.

So there you have it guys, grey imports have very little warranty cover.

The good news is that Ebuyer very promptly answered my RMA request and just as promptly approved it and they are collecting the unit on Monday. Stated turn around time 10 working days, assuming they receive more stock (out at the moment). Hey ho, no chrissy present then, Crying or Very sad

Let you know final result.

Keith.
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same position. I to recieved a Malaysian h2210 from eBuyer, it also had a dead pixel right ib the center area of the screen. This is being returned but the return process is not the quickest! RMA was requested on the 7th and still not 'authorised'.

Now of course by the time it is collected, fault verifieed it will most likel be to alte to get one before Xmas. I have used eBuyer before for many IT purchases and this is the first bad experience. I really think they need to get their returns speed sorted out, like they have with the customer service area.
Tripper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Googlebot, I know what you mean. However things get darker by the moment. Just checked the site and 2210 no longer listed. (was shown + out of Stock) now nothing. Replacement chances looking slim!

Worst still there seems to be a new 2210 using a "312MHz Intel PXA270 Processor", whereas the old one was 400MHz. (see TotalPDA website) so looks like we are getting thrown back into that infernal decision-making machine (oh how I hate it!)

Anyone know anything about this new 2210? All help appreciated! Confused

Keith
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is not lloking like a replacement will be the same PDA is it.

However as it's the same model number one would be leed to rpesume it will be basicaly the same spec, just with the different processor (and case by the look of things). I also notice it's at a higher price than the old 2210, now wether that is due to it being 'better' or just demand I just dont know.

After a quick search the new processors seam to be slightly quicker/better even though it has a slower clock speed.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Intel_Unveils_PXA270_XScale_Processors

Lets just keep fingers crossed
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2210 as you probably know now is end of life, not manufactured anymore. Any PDA that you send back to PDA will probably be replaced with a refurbished unit. I have recently used the iPAQ 2110, the screens have really improved on all the new iPAQ range. I would not be off put with the lower CPU MHz the PDA runs all the applications I have tried fine. And that’s most GPS packages, games etc. .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: