Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman announce PiN300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman announce PiN300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Navman announce PiN300 Reply with quote

Navman have now announced the PiN300, which is a PPC similar to the original PiN. This means it is a fully functional PPC with all the associated bells and whistles. With this in mind, can V3 for the PPC be far behind? Read more here.
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just looked at the Navman site the Pin 300 looks like it is still a Mitac Mio 168 but with the SmartSt Pro V3 software.

The site hasn't been updated properly yet and they are still advertising the Pin V1 for a MRRP of £399 the same as the announcement give for the new Pin 300.

As I have just bought a Navman Pin a month ago I'm going to be pretty P****d off if there isn't a (free!) upgrade path.

btw Curious about your comment that it is now a fully featured PPC - as far as I can tell it always was! - it just had an integrated GPSr!

I also have a Mitac Mio 558 and apart from having Bluetooth/802.11a/400Mhz and a CF slot it's operation is identical.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKHABU wrote:
Having just looked at the Navman site the Pin 300 looks like it is still a Mitac Mio 168 but with the SmartSt Pro V3 software.

I don't know what Mitac the PiN300 is based on, but it could well be the 168.

UKHABU wrote:

As I have just bought a Navman Pin a month ago I'm going to be pretty P****d off if there isn't a (free!) upgrade path.

The best thing to do would be to contact Navman Sales using this form and see what they can offer by way of a version upgrade. I know they did something for iCN630 owners....

UKHABU wrote:

btw Curious about your comment that it is now a fully featured PPC - as far as I can tell it always was! - it just had an integrated GPSr!

I didn't say that it was now a fully featured PPC. I said they have now released the PiN300, similar to the original PiN, meaning it's a fully featured PPC! At least, that's what I meant and that's how I read it. Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pin 300 is a Mitac Mio 168 in desguise. AFAIK the only differences between the PiN 100 and PiN 300 is the new V3 software. The PiN 300 will also only have UK maps.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operation system is used in Pin 300? Is it Pocket PC 2003 or has Navman chosen another Platform? If it's PPC 2003, one should be able to expect a release of the SmartST V3 SW soon for us who using other PDAs...

Regarding SmartST V3 by the way, I've browsed through a number of posts about importing custom POIs in iCN 510, but what I'm missing is comments on how well the POI functionality in V3 is actually performing. Since TT Go has similar functionality it would be interesting to compare those systems to see what's different.

/Ulf
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it uses Pocket PC 2003 so yor assumption could well be correct.

We'll just have to wait and see Wink
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tim - I did re-read your post and it's just the way I read it Embarassed - merely semantics.
I contacted Navman straight after my post but as yet there has been no reply.

Iteresting that there will only be UK maps on the PIN 300 as the PIN 100 came with full Europe set - so that poses another question! will V2 maps of Europe work on V3!
Also does this mean that the dedicated in-car units DO have Europe maps?
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that the maps will be backwards compatible, just as V1.96 maps work with the V2 software.

Of the dedicated in-car units (iCNs), the 510 and the 635 come with one region of maps, usually the region in which the unit was bought. You can upgrade to the full V3 European maps and I think the cost is £149 to upgrade. The 'flagship' 650 comes with full V3 European maps activated, from what I can tell.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: