Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MobileNavigator 4.2 Bizarre Routing !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MobileNavigator 4.2 Bizarre Routing !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: MobileNavigator 4.2 Bizarre Routing ! Reply with quote

I've been setting up a routing from Brighouse (just off the M62 near Leeds) to Sale (south-east of Manchester) and back, entering and checking each part of the itinerary individually.

The Brighouse to Sale journey was routed initially to the north of Manchester (M62 - M60) then southwards (now on the western side of Manchester) on the M60 to Sale.

When I added the reverse journey, both the reverse journey and the outward journey routed via the eastern side of Manchester via the A627(M) - M60, looping round the south of Manchester to approach Sale from that direction.

This journey is 5 miles longer and an estimated 8 minutes longer journey time.

If I delete the return journey, the outward journey reverts to the shorter route.

Entering the return journey on its own gives the longer route.

So far as I can see, none of the junctions on the shorter route have any access restrictions which would prevent their use on the return journey.

I realise I could 'force' the return journey to take the shorter route by setting an intermediate point on that route - but surely I shouldn't have to !

Any ideas why it might behave like this ?

Philip
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: RE: MobileNavigator 4.2 Bizarre Routing ! Reply with quote

If I could have editted my last post, I would have !

It gets somewhat simpler !

The PDA has just powered itself down, so I've powered it back up and re-entered the application.

I've then saved and re-loaded the itinerary and re-calculated the complete route.

The outward journey now takes the shorter route (as it should), but the return journey still takes the longer route.

I had previously re-calculated the route several times (as I checked each part individually) so I don't know why it's now changed its mind about the outward journey.

The original question still remains though - Why 2 different routes for outward and return ?

Philip
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that the route is avoiding right turns into major roads, and/or right turns off major roads. Certainly, the previous version of the Medion/Navigon software seemed to do this, resulting in different routes to and from a destination. It once took me on a long, circuitous route to a petrol station that appeared to avoid a right turn across traffic into the station.

But I have noticed some oddities in the navigation of the new version. For example, I was travelling along a motorway the other day, some distance from the nearest junction when it told me to turn right. Also, it seems to opt for shorter rather than faster routes, no matter what driver profile you choose. And, unlike Tom Tom, you can't specify your typical speeds for different types of road.

There also seem to be some bugs in the mapping data. For example, it insists that the TN14 code for Tonbridge in Kent, is actually in Market Drayton, nearly 200 miles away!

I seem to recall when Tom Tom changed from Navteq to TeleAtlas data for Tom Tom 3, it suffered from similar problems. Tom Tom issued an update to resolve these problems (I think). It will be interesting to see whether Medion/Aldi do the same.
216b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, apart from experiencing the it's-not-the-same-way-there-as-back problem, I was happily driving along a dual carriageway when I was told to turn off, then immediately do a u-turn on the side road, then turn back onto the dual carriageway (in the same direction as I was originally travelling).

errrrrr....?????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: