Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hiking with PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiking with PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Hiking with PDA Reply with quote

I just bought the Aldi gps/pda, which apparently is a rebadged Mio 168. I want to know what is the best software to run OS maps on it. I have tried oziexplorer and it seems to be excellent for getting the maps on to my pda and showing where I am on them but what I want is something I can tap in a waypoint and it will navigate me to that point. What do people find is the best software to do this?
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a Mitac Mio 168 or Navman PIN by any other name.
i run Memory Map OS 2004 on my PIN and it is great.

Just download whatever large or small area from the required OS 1:25k or 1:50k map (I uses both on mine) to the PPC and away you go!

Detail is exactly the same as on the OS maps 20 x 30 km gris is approx 4Mb for os 1:25k
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Memory map sounds like what i am looking for. Is it easy to plot a route on the pda with it? I would like to be able to make a waypoint on the map while out hiking and have the gps software guide me to it. Can i do this with memory map?
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiking with PDA Reply with quote

ahardie wrote:
I have tried oziexplorer and it seems to be excellent for getting the maps on to my pda and showing where I am on them but what I want is something I can tap in a waypoint and it will navigate me to that point.

You can do this in Ozi:

On the menu select View - Toolbars - Waypoint Toolbar
Tap the Add Waypoint button on this toolbar
Tap on the map to add your waypoint
Tap and hold on the waypoint, then select Goto Wp

This is of course only scratching the surface of all that you can do with Ozi. You need to spend a bit of time with the help file and playing around to discover its full potential - I've been using it a couple of months and still feel like I'm learning.
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barry. Thats is just the information I needed as I'm not very good at working with helpfiles. I've already purchased Oziexplorer ce as a stopgap until I probably buy something like Memory map as with ozi I have to download small multimap maps and stitch them together, which is very time consuming. Unless of course theres an easier way I've missed Smile
paulmk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy memory map you won't regret it.

Yes you can plot a waypoint while on route and much much more

you can totally create routes for any map you have downloaded to your pda
it will show you the elevation profile of a route on your pda
it will tell you the distant of the route
It has pop up windows that can show distance to next selected waypoint
It automatically creates a hotspot if you activate the voice recording to note something of interest

Does this whet your appettite because there is even more........memory map is linked to website to a fantastic website called walkingworld.com from here you can download over 2,000 walks throughout the UK which overlay on your memory map together with notes for all the various waypoints of a route. This allows you to try routes others have done and spend hours planning and evaluating them. The cost of this service is a hefty £15 per year, i believe they also sell memory map software via their site and it was cheaper than MM own site.

Buy it you won't regret it.

Paul
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, that was very helpful. I am hankering after buying memory-map now. I think I will have to let my bank account recover a bit first though.
I have subscribed to walking world in the past and I am thinking of joining again Even without memory-map the os waymarks that come with their walks are very useful. Especially useful if you own a gps.
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also found Memory Map a very good application and bought one region. I aquired the GPS for car navigation but I did walked 3 miles from home to try out the MM tracking.

It was very interesting looking back on the details available when I returned home - e.g. speeds and altitudes etc.

One problem I did have was that after putting my naked iPaq1940 in my pocket it got switched off!! Still that was no problem to MM when I realised and switched it back on - it just meant I had a very straight section in my circular route - and a very fast time for that section!!

So I now have a hard case on my list for Father Christmas.
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo what Paul has written about Memory Map - one thing not mentioned is the fact that you can have both OS 1:25k and 1:50k maps loaded and switching between the two is simple.

When walking in mountains the 50k map gives you a much better 3D perspective of the terrain than the more detailed 25k version.

You can't do it on the PDA version but on the laptop/PC you can fly thru the route in 3D and also have side by side with the map an aerial photo of the terrain with your route superimpossed on it.

you can also import your own maps.
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: