Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A GPS beginner's "voyage" (choosing hardware)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A GPS beginner's "voyage" (choosing hardware)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kev4c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Graeme,

I too have purchased a Fortuna clip-on today from the same people. just in case you are thinking of buying a spare battery, try this link, they seem quite cheep (compared to the suppliers of the Fortuna).

http://www.batteryfactory.co.uk/acatalog/Nokia_Battery.html

I don't know the exact battery required, so if someone could let me know i would be greatful

Kevin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to get used to typing the new model codes correctly. The old and now discontinued model is the iPAQ h2210, and the new iPAQ hx2000 series consists of the iPAQ hx2110, iPAQ hx2410 and the iPAQ hx2750.

If the HP part number on the label on the outside of the box ends #ABU, it's UK specification. See my post on this here.

Of the new hx2000 series, on paper I'd prefer the hx2410 to the hx2110 - but it depends on the relative pricing. See my comments in this thread.

The only pretty much essential thing I don't see mention of in your post is a memory card - you are really going to need some kind of memory card to store your maps on - really 256MB or bigger. The latest memory card purchases I've made are both Lexar 32x SD (one 1GB card and one 256MB card) from ValueFlash.

I also don't see two accessories I never go without. Firstly, I always use a screen protector; I never use a Pocket PC 'naked' for fear of scratching the screen. My favourite for machines used for in-car navigation is Pocket PC Techs' WriteSHIELD AG (rather than the WriteSHIELD C2, which isn't anti-glare). They're available in the UK from Expansys. The hx2000 series are so new that it doesn't look as if Pocket PC Techs have released product yet, though they may well use the same screen size as one of the existing models.

You also haven't mentioned an in-car mount - I use a Brodit active mount on a Brodit ProClip. These are available in the UK from HandNav.

All that said, I think you've chosen a good system. Don't worry too much about breaking the Pocket PC - apart from dropping and breaking it that way, they're pretty indestructible and fairly easy to 'hard reset' (the equivalent of reformatting) if you want to wipe the machine and start again. The one important thing to know is that if you let the battery run flat, the memory is wiped. Sprite Backup is invaluable in such a case - if the hx2000 series have iPAQ Backup, that's a rebranded version of Sprite Backup, though I always install the full version of Sprite Backup on my iPAQs so that I can keep up to date with the latest version.

What I would urge you to do is to be sure of the Pocket PC before installing and activating the TomTom Navigator software, as once you do that the Product Code is tied to the Pocket PC. You can use the Product Code again after a period of time, but it's best to be sure that the Pocket PC is OK first. There's a seven day wait after the first activation using a TomTom Product Code before you can activate a different Pocket PC, a 180 day wait after any subsequent activation to activate another different Pocket PC. You can reactivate a Pocket PC already activated with that Product Code at any time without using up an activation or changing the wait time until another activation is possible.

Similarly, I don't break the seal on the software pack of a new Pocket PC until I'm sure I'm keeping that Pocket PC. It helps that I've already got Outlook 2002 on all my PCs (as each has a full version of Office XP), and you can download ActiveSync 3.7.1 Build 4034 from Microsoft here - the generic version usually works fine with all iPAQs. You can get away without Outlook installed if you only want to install software and synchronise your Favorites and with AvantGo, though if you later install Outlook, you may well have to reinstall ActiveSync. If you usually run on Windows 2000 or XP with limited user privileges, as I recommend, you need Administrator privileges to install both Outlook and ActiveSync successfully - the same is not true of most Pocket PC software, which tends to install just fine as a limited user.

Don't forget, if you've just installed Outlook or any part of Office, or you've not checked for a while, to use the link on Windows Update to use Office Update. Unless you've got Windows XP SP2 installed, you'll probably need your original Office / Outlook install source to hand if there's any patches needed. Make sure, if you need any patches that you keep trying Office Update until it says that no more patches are required.

When it does come to installing the navigation software, the chances are that you'll have an "Update CD" in the TomTom Navigator 3 pack anyway, which contains the latest Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07 software. If you haven't got one, download and install these version from support.tomtom.com, as they're the only versions that TomTom say support the Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition operating system used in the hx2000 series.

In fact, you can install the software and try TomTom GPS from the downloaded version without breaking the seal on the Navigator software pack - this way you can check all is well with your GPS. I suggest first that you switch on the Clip On, go into the Bluetooth Manager on the iPAQ, and press the New button to explore the services of a device. You can then connect to the Serial Port Profile (the key to pair is 0000).

Then run TomTom GPS on your Pocket PC. On the second tab, you need to take the tick out of the blue box at the top left, then make the settings "TomTom Wireless GPS" and whatever your outgoing Bluetooth Serial Port is (look in the Bluetooth Settings, Services, tap on Serial Port and press Advanced if HP are using the Bluetooth Settings they're using on the other recent iPAQs). Put the tick back in the box, select the Clip On, I suggest if you're asked to choose always to connect to the Clip On, then sit back and watch the first screen. When the Clip On gets a fix the middle light on the Clip On will turn green, and you should have a position indicated in black digits on the first tab of TomTom GPS.

If things are working OK, you can then break the seal on the Navigator software pack, install the maps using the main CD or CDs, then, when you first run Navigator, you'll be able to activate via ttcode.com.

Installing maps through ActiveSync can be tricky - another useful accessory is a memory card reader for your PC.

This is a long post - but I hope it's of value to others purchasing new systems. Feel free to ask any questions!

David
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to be informed today whilst at work that the 'Man in the wee yellow and green van' had visited, and dropped of my PPC.
At this time I still had uncertainty over it's origin, or should I say it's intended destination.

To my dismay, the Part number ended in the notorious ARE, indicating to me it's intended destination was indeed the far east, and not the Far north (of the UK)!

Will all seals still intact, I checked the level of warranty I am entitled to on the HP website (thanks to one of the forum posters on here for providing the link) and, to summaries, this is what I am covered for;

HP HW Maintenance Offsite Support

Start Date 22 Dec 2004
End Date 19 Feb 2006
Service Level - Std Office Hrs Std Office Days , Standard Parts Logistics , Standard Material Handling , Global Coverage , Std Office Hrs Std Office Days , HP Ships to Customer Site , No Usage Limitation , Pickup by HP , 5 Business Days Turn-Around

Deliverables - Offsite Support & Materials
Hardware Problem Diagnosis

Wty: HP SW Technical Unlimited Support

Start Date 22 Dec 2004
End Date 20 May 2005
Service Level Std Office Hrs Std Office Days , Standard Parts Logistics , Standard Material Handling , Global Coverage , Std Office Hrs Std Office Days , HP Ships to Customer Site , No Usage Limitation , Pickup by HP , 5 Business Days Turn-Around , NextAvail TechResource Remote , Std Office Hrs Std Office Days , Unlimited Named Callers , 2 Hr Remote Response

Deliverables - Offsite Support & Materials
Hardware Problem Diagnosis
Software Phone support

Would I be correct in assuming it's two years Cover for Hardware and software failure, and 4 months for Tec support?

Now in my opinion, this is a sufficient warranty (I think Confused ) as far as I'm concerned, and I know it may not be sufficient for all, but it is for me.
All I really require is that in the event of a failure, be it hardware or software, I am entitled to free support, inclusive of parts, labour, and covering costs of sending the device away. And of course, it being returned to me.

I would appreciate anyones comments on this, as I don't think I can have the box, unopened, sitting in front of me for much longer...Laughing Out Loud

"Like a child in a sweet shop" I have been informed. Smile

Thanks again,
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's discussion of the warranty issues in this thread.

I'd want to be sure that your hardware warranty covers labour as well as parts. Be aware that people have received conflicting advice over warranty entitlements both from HP tech support and the various HP warranty checkers (there's more than one).

The iPAQ hx2110 doesn't have Wi-Fi, so there'll be no hardware difference there. You will, of course, not have any iPAQ Choice points with a Malaysian machine that you would have had with a UK one.

David
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: A GPS beginner's "voyage" (choosing hardware) Reply with quote

Having read the information available both on this site and the HP website, I decided to go ahead and accept the terms of Microsoft's license agreement, and the warranty entitlement, having understood best I can what I will be covered for, in the case of the PDA failing.

My next dilemma is, as David so rightly pointed out, that fact I will now need to purchase a memory card. I can't believe how much of the installed memory the most basic of applications use up!

I have (initially) opted for a Kingston 512Mb SD card with the reasons being that is more secure and interchangeable than the CF in my case, so can be used in a few other pieces of hardware I have (Digi Cam, and Phone).
I haven't opted for the 1024Mb SD cards, as the box and manuals only specify SD cards from 64Mb to 512Mb. This of course may be due to the manuals/Boxes being produced before the 1024Mb cards were in production.

Am I correct in assuming this can be done? Switched between a few devices, and the Kingston 512Mb card is a good choice for TTN3 and Possibly Memory Map?
Having read some of the memory card related topics on the forum, Kingston DO appear to be quite favorable.

I've also decided to opt for a Universal Suction car mount for two reason, 1) I can't seem to find a mount that is suitable for the new hx2000 series, and 2) I will be changing my car soon, so don't really see the point in double the work of installing a dedicated system.
I did look at the Brodit ProClip but thought that looked like you still had to buy the actual mount after the clip? Again another problem for the hx2000 series if this is indeed the case.

After being told my GPS & TTN3 software would be shipped to me with the 2-4 workdays schedule on Friday, I was somewhat miffed to have missed its delivery on Saturday (next day after ordering) at 7:30am! Only to be told I had to wait 48hrs before I can pick it up. This of course is fantastic service by the courier, just unexpected.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ hx2000 series is so new that the likes of Brodit haven't released model specific mounts yet. Give them a few weeks and I'm sure they'll be onto it.

I very much doubt you'd have any problems with 1024MB SD cards; more than likely the mention on the box is that I don't believe HP supply cards larger than 512MB as an official accessory. That's nothing to worry about; the HP brand cards are hideously overpriced anyway, and they're almost certainly rebadged something else (they certainly used to be rebadged Sandisk; in my opinion one of the worst SD brands for use in a Pocket PC).

David
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had eventually received my all my new hardware and software by late Monday evening, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to pair/install the GPS. A simple 11 step guide to pair the device, with no hiccup at all. It also appeared that the GPS had been previously charged, as it lasted around 4hrs from first use, which was nice.

I managed to install TTN3 Scotland & NI Maps on the standard memory,(SD card due to arrive by today) for a trip I had planned to Glasgow On Tuesday. After initially setting the software up, and going through the various properties and options, I found the software very simple and straight forward to use. Again, something thats always nice for a beginner! There was included in the TTN3 box an update CD, but I opted to skip that, and go directly to the website and install the updates available there, thinking they were even more up-to-date.

I also installed Memory Map and that was no where near as successfully as TTN3. Sad I have managed to install Pocket MM, and installed a small map OK, but can not get the GPS to work with MM at all. I read the forums on how it may be the TTN3 GPS driver, so i installed 2.07, which resulted in neither TTN3 nor MM connecting to the GPS (bluetooth connects to device no problem). I then uninstalled all related TTN3 software and drivers, and the MM is still giving me the same errors. I then re-installed the TTN3 2.07 GPS driver, and still had no joy no MM. I have tried each of the above options on both bluetooth comports 5 & 6, and set to both SiRF or NEMA.

This is the only problem I am having so far, and reading the forums, this appears to be a very common problem with MM & TTN3 GPS Drivers.

A query I had about the GPS were how do I know when I have the device in ST mode or XT mode? I've had a look at the GPS driver (the one that displays the satellite status?) and It doesn't tell me there. In any case, I'm receiving around 5/6 satellites on average at a time, peaking at around 10 once, which I thought was good.

Graeme
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software doesn't know whether you're in ST or XT mode - it doesn't care. It simply uses whatever GPS input it gets.

To fix the Memory Map problem, remove everything calling itself TomTom ~ GPS and TomTom GPS on the machine (Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on what you want to remove, press Remove). Be aware that you may have to remove one of these items more than once. Reinstall TomTom GPS 3.03 and remove TomTom ~ GPS once.

If that doesn't sort it, some registry editing will be required - come back for instructions.

In fact, all you had to do was to remove TomTom ~ GPS once - I know Team members and other moderators prefer to recommend GPS 2.07 but my experience is that it's unnecessary - you may as well use a later version of TomTom GPS with the Bluetooth changes backed out.

Installing GPS 2.07 without fully removing a later version of GPS first can leave you with a battle to remove the TomTom GPS changes to the Bluetooth stack. If you're going to do this, my feeling is that you may as well stop after the first remove of the later version (which backs out the Bluetooth changes) if things work then.

David
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's best to firstly explain what I've installed and where.
I have installed the Tomtom Main program & GB Map directly onto the SD memory card. I then installed the 3.07 update, then the 3.07 GPS driver update. All to the SD card.
All works good and proper.

This is also where I have installed Memory Map.

I have so far tried removing the 3.07 GPS driver update and tried running both MM & TTN with it removed (checked after warm reboot that it was no longer in the 'Remove Programs' menu)
This didn't allow any of the applications to connect to the device, other than the bluetooth manager.
I then tried installing 2.07 GPS driver, which gave me the same result as when there was no driver present at all.
This afternoon, I installed TTN3 update 3.03 and GPS Driver 3.03
This allowed me to connect to TTN3 all good and proper again, but still gave back the error messages on MM.

'Communication Timeout' - after around 5-8 seconds.

I have tried using NMEA on com ports 5 & 8 (bluetooth assigned ports in GPS driver software, when installed) and a baud rate of 4800 through 38400.

At the present time, I have un-installed everything on the SD card (TTN3 & GPS drivers, Memory Map, CheckPOInt v3.2)

Thanks again,
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am still having problems establishing a connection between the GPS and Memory Map. Here are the different configurations I have tried.
Currently installed to there default directory's are;

TTN3 3.07
TTN3 GPS 3.07
CheckPOInt 3.2.0.0
Digitools UK Postcodes
Memory Map 2004

I have so far been unsuccessful in getting MM to run with the GPS, having tried drivers from version 2, all the way up to the latest version (3.07)

I have tried removing all GPS drivers, (checking Remove Programs menu after each un-install) connecting the GPS through the PPC Bluetooth connection manager, then running MM, no luck.

I have also tried installing the available drivers from versions 2 - 3.07, then removing ONE copy of them after installation, still no luck. What I did notice was that after installing them, then removing one copy, there were no other copies installed. I have also tried installing them, and NOT removing any copies, but still no joy.

With the GPS drivers installed, (3.07) the device connects and works correctly with TTN3 on com ports 8. "Bluetooth Serial port COM8". One of the other bluetooth com port options are 5, but the device does not connect to this one.

In MM, I have tried both NMEA and SiRF settings, from Baud rates 4800 - 38400. The options for com ports again include 5 & 8 with 5's description being "Bluetooth Serial port COM5" and port 8's description being simply "Com port 8" (no mention of bluetooth) MM returns a "communication timeout" error with port 5 selected, but does not return any error (nor satellites received, or position) with com port 8 selected.

I have tried running "Tomtom GPS" first, ensuring GPS is connected and receiving satellites, then running MM and selecting the exact same settings as the Tomtom GPS program. (Com ports SiRF & Baud rates) This just returned the same errors that were received when MM was run without Tomtom GPS.
I also tired the opposite, port 8 in Tomtom GPS, so port 5 in MM etc.

I hope someone can help, as this has been the first 'wall' I have hit with the GPS! Confused Embarassed
marky999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graeme,

I've followed your thread with interest as I'm the recent proud owner of a 4150 and Fortuna BT ClipOn with TTN3 installed. Having seen all your trials with the various TTGPS drivers and wanting to install Memory Map myself I thought I'd get TTN3 working perfectly first before I gave it a go. Having got that sorted after a few hiccups I took the plunge and installed MM this afternoon. My expriences today lead me to ask a basic question.

Is this the purchased version of MM you're using or at least the 30 day licensed trial version? The reason I ask is that I spent a fair while this afternoon trying to get MM to connect to my GPS until I realised I needed the licence key to activate all the features including GPS, stupid I know but that's me. Once I got that it still wouldn't work until I uninstalled it from my PPC and re-installed it again. Then it did work but it wouldn't connect. It only offered me BT Serial port Com8 which never does anything on my 4150. BT serial port on Com6 is what works for TTN3 but that option only said Com6 with no mention of BT. I then followed previous suggestions and uninstalled TTGPS 3.07 (only had to do it once and it was gone completely) and reinstalled 2.07 from this site. Having done this MM now showed Com6 as a BT serial port as well as Com 8 and and having selected it with the NMEA driver on 38400 I got the all important blue light. When I went back to TTN3 I had to reselect the NMEA 38400 and the option for BT serial port Com6 was still there. I selected this and I now have both MM and TTN3 able to connect to the ClipOn as and when.

In your case I think you can forget Com 5 as it seems to be the equivalent of Com8 on my 4150. (no idea what it does as it just doesn't connect to anything) Your TTN3 connects through Com 8 and if it's the same as my PPC then MM will use the same. It just needs to know it's not being used by TTN. Have you tried installing GPS 2.07 (on a clean system) then setting up MM first. It should now offer you BT serial port Com8. Select this and use the NMEA 38400. Hopefully you'll get the blue light. Now exit MM and start TTN3. If you go to the GPS screen you should be able to select the NMEA 0183v2 38400 driver and more importantly BT Serial port COM8 should still be an option here as well. Tick the box and when you then run TTN3 you should be able to choose Clip-On BT GPS in the BT browser and get the magical blue light. If you now exit TTN3 and open MM the BT browser should come up automatically and allow you to select the Clip-On BT GPS. This should also get you the blue light.

Apologies for the post being so long but it's exactly what worked for me and I guess you're in the position that you'll try anything at the moment!!

Give it a try and let us know what's happening.

Cheers,

Marky
marky999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the above doesn't work then how about installing MM and TTN in the PPC and just having the maps on the SD card? That's how mine is set up.

Marky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: