Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom 303e and ipaq 5455 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom 303e and ipaq 5455 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwiruss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Haicom 303e and ipaq 5455 ? Reply with quote

Anyone got this combo ?
Im using the cable connector to my 5455 and its getting gps info but the bps isnt getting a fix.
Im out in the country with lots of clear air so I dont see why its not fixing my position.
Today I ordered the external antenna to hopefully improve things but Im wonderring if I sohuld send it back and get the 303S

Is the 303S a lot better ?
kiwiruss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: still no luck Reply with quote

I am still trying to get the gps to get a fix.
Living out in the country should help it but although its seeing satellites, it aint fixing a position.

Think I'll send it back and get a different model.
Rocco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: 303e with 5455 Reply with quote

Yep - I have this combo but using CF sleeve not cable... Works like a charm for me... No prob's at all... even getting acceptable fix in 3 storey building.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth me repeating the advice I've given many times (and probably should make sticky).

If using TomTom software, the correct setting for a Haicom GPS where the model designator ends in E is "NMEA 0183v2 4800" and notHaicom GPS. The latter attempts to send SiRF commands to the GPS, which Evermore chipset GPSes will not understand and may misinterpret.

However, this doesn't really explain the problem when using a cable, as HI-303 multimode GPSes can't receive configuration commands via a cable, only in CompactFlash mode.

For what it's worth, I have no problems using a HI-303MMF in an iPAQ hx4700 (CompactFlash slot), an iPAQ h3970 (in a PC Card adapter in a PC Card Expansion Pack Plus) or with Windows XP machines (in the aforementioned adapter in a PC Card slot, using a serial cable or a USB cable). However, my HI-303MMF uses a SiRFstar IIe/LP chipset - not Evermore.

The other important thing to know is that when using a cable, you must supply power, otherwise the GPS hardware isn't powered up. The PDA cables all have a 12V cigarette lighter plug, which must be connected. The USB cable passes power to the GPS from the USB port. The 9 pin serial cable has a 6 pin mini-DIN plug on it, which must be connected to a PS/2 port to provide power.

David
kiwiruss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: thanks for ths input Reply with quote

thanks for the advice.
I have tried tons of things, and did get a fix on two occaisions, but it only laster for a few minutes and then was lost. so the settings are right .. I think.

The terrain is verry open country roads , so it shouldnt be loosing its fix, especially when Im half way down a long straight road and go from a 6 satellite fix to no fix.

I might have expected to loose it when turning a corner perhaps, cause the car frame may block it, but on a straight road, its just weird.

Im rma-ing the gps back to the vendor and getting the 303s model with hopes that the different config will work bettter.

thanks again

kiwi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: