Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 3100/3450 which one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 3100/3450 which one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Navman 3100/3450 which one? Reply with quote

Hello,

I currently use an iPAQ 3970 with a Royaltek Saphire receiver. I'm considering replacing the receiver with a Naman jacket type one, but what's the difference between them all? I'm not interested in any software that comes with them as I have TomTom and I'm happy with that.

Thanks for any advice
Mark
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three or four Navman sleeves. The one to go for is called the Navman SE (that's what it says on the front).

Just looking at a couple of websites, it appears that the Navman 3100 is the SE sleeve without any software, so that's the one to have.

Don't get the one that says iNS on it.
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I actually picked up what was supposed to be a 3450 which includes the SE sleeve from an ebay seller. In fact it's what I believe is a 3400 as it has no external antenna connection so I'm going to return it.

However, I've tested the one that arrived and it's practically useless. In the open air i.e not in the car. I get ~10mins TTFF, it seldom gets more than 3 satellites and hence rarely know wheres the hell i am.

Is there not a sleeve from which I can expect comparable performance to that I've always received from my Royaltek Saphire (which has been good) ?

I use a 3970 with a 512Mb SD card, I've upgraded TT3 to 3.07T, I've downgraded the GPS driver to 2.07 which everyone seems to list as the most reliable, and I've applied the Naman 3.1.6 serial driver.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall ever getting such poor performance from my original Navman sleeve, but since upgrading to the SE sleeve I now use an external antenna (my car has an athermic windscreen) and I usually get 7+ sats. I had 12 showing yesterday but two of them were yellow so that doesn't count.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman 3400 isn't an SE sleeve. There have been three generations of Navman seeves.

1st Generation - Navman 3000
2nd Generation - Navman 3400
3rd Generation - Navman 3400/3100/3300

The 1st and 2nd generation really had problems in obtaining a fix. Due to processor interference on the PPC Processor. The faster the processor the worst it got. You need a 3450/3100/3300 sleeve. This will be better.

You also need to make sure you're not travelling when obtaining a fix, stand still!

The 3rd Generation of sleeves were much better and appeared to overcome the processor interference, but not 100%. Another way on 1st and 2nd Generation sleeves on overcoming processor interference was to get a hard drive anti-static silver coated bag, and place several layers of this between sleeve and iPAQ.
peteoheat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fo the sleeve information Dave that will be very useful.

I tried the anti-static bag trick at Lunchtime. I work in central London so I went out onto Blackfriars bridge (lots more open sky) TTFF was much improved but number of satelites obtain was poor (4 red bars + two grey ones max).

This sleeve is going back and I'll pick up a 3100 I think (I don't need the software). The 3100 is the SE sleeve correct?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's sold as the 3300 with the Memory Map software, or 3100 on it's own I believe. Either that or go for the 3450 sleeve. Both have the external antenna sockets on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: