Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI announcements just stop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI announcements just stop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: POI announcements just stop Reply with quote

I've tried various things like reducing the size of the speed camera file by deleting all lattitudes about 52 degrees (because I never to up north!), reducing the number of POI's to be reported in the CoPilot POI options....but the wretched thing has a complete mind of its own as to when it will announce GATSOs etc.

I keep rebooting the Mitac 168 (prodding the side) before the start of each trip to ensure nothing is lurking in memory, but to no avail.

Out of interest, what are the memory requirements for CoPilot to run correctly. After a reboot, the Mitac has 7Mb free storage and 30Mb free program.

Does anyone know if ALK have acknowledged this to be a problem and, if so, when a fix might be forthcoming?
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried POI announcements for speed cameras for the first time on Saturday and had the same experiance. Some were announced, some were not. Some that were announced on the outward journey were not announced on the return journey, and vice versa. Very strange. I'll probably take it up with ALK support after more testing. Suggest you do the same?
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - your experience exactly corresponds with mine....and it's very FRUSTRATING after spending so much money.

I have just filled in the fault report on the ALK website and sent it off to their support people. The more of us who report this the more likely we are to get a solution.

Please let me know if you get a response from ALK.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK are currently working on a fix.
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear they are working on it Dave, I only wish they would have the courtesy to reply to our email's if only to say they have received them. As it stands people get the idea they are being ignored and that ain't good for the future business return purchasers

tt go 730T
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col, I know it's not nice to feel you're being ignored, but I can sympathise with them. The amount of email I receive when people decide not to post here but to send me email got me to a point where I couldn't successfully manage my email and reply to anyone. Now with agressive spam filters and an autoresponder that sends an email back for support questions it's made my life a lot easier.

I know ALK support are a different dept than the development which is done in the US, so on-going development is still occuring. Support questions are being dealt with but as always phone support kinda takes priority over email because someone's 'hanging on the line' so I suspect this is why a lot of emails aren't currently being replied to.

I will check into this, I know ALK are receiving an overwhelming response to people likeing CPL5 and hence purchasing it and hence wanting support. They are employing new staff to try and cope with the demand but it always takes time to train people in a product and it always comes after the horse has bolted the gate.
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger to that Dave but as you know an automated response doesn't take long to set up, at least then people will know the mail is in a queue and not file thirteen.

tt go 730T
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. Do the developers tell the support arm that they are working on various snags? I used to work in the aircraft industry and regular bulletins were issued to the support and flying fraternity regarding any issues.
I know it won't work all the time becauase not everyone pays regular visits to the alk site but if ALK published a list of known problems that they were working on it would save an awful lot of time from people asking the same questions. and flooding them with email's what do you think?

tt go 730T
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are so many bugs that they are inundated with calls. Crying or Very sad

It wouldn't take ALK long to set up a list of known bugs and then post them on their website to save people the time of filling out the support form. The problem is that people would see how buggy their software was.

If they were too embarrased to publish a list of bugs and work-arounds then they should at least create boilerplate replies that they can quickly send as a reply to questions about common bugs.

After paying £135 for their software I think users have the right to expect the courtesy of a reply to their emails at least. Rolling Eyes
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexuscol wrote:
ps. Do the developers tell the support arm that they are working on various snags?

Yes the Support Team do receive feedback from the developers through the various line managers.

Skippy wrote:
I think there are so many bugs that they are inundated with calls. Crying or Very sad

They are inundated with Support and unfortunately telephone calls take preference, so if you want to get through it's best to leave a contact number and what times of the day it's best to contact you on the number(s) you give. ALK are aware of the support issues in people not getting replies quick enough (or at all) via email, and it's not down to bugs per se, but the popularity of the product. CPL has been enhanced to the degree that it's an attractive product and many people want to purchase it, which in turn creates a lot of extra sales and support calls. You'd be surprised at the number of 'dumb' calls retailers and GPS companies like ALK receive. GPS is also a bolt on to a Pocket PC, it wasn't designed entirely to work together although it does. Each persons situation is different to the next, and people can have problems due to lack of memory, other installed programs that might be causing a conflict, not only on the PPC but on the desktop PC also, and this takes time to sort out, esp over the phone. ALK are working hard in getting some more support staff to help answer calls, designate someone to answering posts in the forum here and replying to email support, but when a product or company become successful, it can take them by surprise. Very similar to TomTom. It will get better.

Skippy wrote:
It wouldn't take ALK long to set up a list of known bugs and then post them on their website to save people the time of filling out the support form. The problem is that people would see how buggy their software was.

Unfortunately no matter how many times you post these and how visual you make them, people still don't read them. Look at the amount of posts we get for people trying to add POI's to various products. We've created detailed instructions for most of the applications but people still don't read them.

Skippy wrote:
If they were too embarrased to publish a list of bugs and work-arounds then they should at least create boilerplate replies that they can quickly send as a reply to questions about common bugs.

I doubt it's the case of being embarrased. It's finding the time in the day to make everything happen. A common problem in businesses is becoming successful (albeit overnight) and a business needs to sell more products to bring in more revenue/profit to pay for more staff, but if you're not careful you can get onto a merry-go-round and end up in ever decreasing circles. More sales means more support calls, so lets sell more, so more support calls, sell more, more support calls. I think ALK will overcome this soon and support will get better. It's not good to ignore your customer base, and they realise this, but they need to position themselves with more support staff to be able to answer all the support questions.

In the mean time I'm trying to get updates on the various bugs. I'm told that the routing lockups are getting better in new internal builds of the software and they think they now have this almost isolated. Need to get an update on some other items like POI's etc. Sorry don't have any dates on release (I don't even have the version myself yet).
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for a most informative post...and thanks also for keeping the pressure on ALK. A curret bug list would be most revealing.

Last night I drove from Chiswick to Hounslow, a distance of about 4 miles, and GATSOs were announced in good time. After my meeting, I rebooted the PPC, then returned along the exact same route to home, but NO ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!

Is there a critical memory threshold below which CoPilot can't function correctly? I generally have about 29Mb free for Program and about 6Mb free for storage (and a 512.Mb SD card with lots of space).
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, don't worry too much about the distribution of memory between storage and programs. If necessary, Pocket PC adjusts the balance automatically.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: