Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST 3 no good in Los Angeles?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST 3 no good in Los Angeles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: SmartST 3 no good in Los Angeles? Reply with quote

Hi all, just got my Navman and it is great for getting me home, around traffic etc, but I am having one major problem. I'd say fully half of the addresses I have typed into it, it cannot find via the normal "state->city->street->house number" search method. By the time I get down to the house number, it does not show the one I want as an option. The same applies for intersections; I can put in "Pico Blvd", which has about a million cross streets, and it only shows eight possible.??

I've been able to scroll around on the map and find things manually, but these are all addresses and intersections that Mapquest finds without breaking a sweat. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? This gadget is so great in every other way, but I'm worried that when I need it most I will be up a creek.

Thanks!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you browse the map, can you find these addresses? Have you noticed a difference in spelling?

If it finds the street but not the house number then that's tough luck. Report your finding to NAVTEQ.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
when you browse the map, can you find these addresses? Have you noticed a difference in spelling?

If it finds the street but not the house number then that's tough luck. Report your finding to NAVTEQ.

Lutz,

Do Navman use Navteq for their V3 US maps? I know they used Navteq for their V1 maps, but used TeleAtlas for V2 (I have them). I'm not sure that they've switched back to Navteq.

Or do you mean "Report your findings to NAVMAN"?
justinm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies! Great forums here.

I can find the address exactly when browsing the map, or at least within a couple house numbers (eg 2438 instead of 2433). Same for intersections. They exist on the maps, but trying to find them via "Destination->Address/Intersection" does not seem to work very well.

The spelling is the same, and usually I will enter the street name, then "Show", and scroll around on the map til I get close to the house number. Seems like the computer should be able to do that without my help though right? Wink

And I believe the maps are Teleatlas.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, they switched from NAVTEQ to TeleAtlas recently.

Now TeleAtlas is not known for house number completeness. You will have to expect more of those close misses. Mapquest for a contrast uses NAVTEQ.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
justinm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Now TeleAtlas is not known for house number completeness. You will have to expect more of those close misses. Mapquest for a contrast uses NAVTEQ.

Okay but these misses are by a couple blocks, not a few house numbers. For example on a given street, it only claims that 2600-2900 are valid house numbers, yet when I browse the streeet I can come up with 2438, 2432, etc. The search does not even seem to be covering its own database?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, that's the current state. Complain to TeleAtlas.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pekkle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have experienced this same exact problem you have mentioned, in fact that's how I found this fourm because I was searching why icn510 has such a horrable address finding ablility. I have both ICN510 and my trusty Garmin iQue3600 and Garmin wins hands down by search address. I am thinking of returning them.. what do you suggest?

oh btw, I have the same exact problem, I can find the address I want on the map, but searching using the address, it simply does not exist..
JChew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: iCN510 bad with addresses Reply with quote

This is my major complaint also when using it in N. CA. The unit misses thousands of house numbers just as you described. I asked Navan tech support about this problem to which they replied that the map and address databases are not related. They recommended that I use the map if it is more sucessful. I really don't find this acceptable because other manufacturers are able to do it right. Why doesn't Navman allow me to enter the exact house number using the number pad instead of choosing from a mostly incomplete range? I'm sure all these issues can be addressed with software and firmware updates. How good is Navman at listening to customer feedback and making changes?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for. A DVD based built-in car navigation system will have all the house numbers geo-coded, but will cost you five to ten times more.

Over time, TeleAtlas data will improve, and will include house number accuracy also for the low budget solutions. If yuo need that now, have a look at Mapopolis (using NAVTEQ data) I found it's house number range to be the most accurate on the US market.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pekkle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not totally true, the iQue from Garmin works 99.5% of the time when I threw a address at it.. and I would save Navman works only about 20% of the time as i have tried 10 addresses and only 2 at least give me a correct range of address (which is still unacceptable, I want to actual address not a range of addresses).

However, iQue data are much bigger than the navman does too.. I was so suprised when I first saw how little a map takes and how much I can store in a little 512 SD card... now I know why..
Pekkle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, this also shows how cheap Navman really is.. if they would have spent a little more and go with Navteq, we wouldn't have this problem to begain with... I rather pay $100 over what I currently paid and get the Navteq's data than using teleatlas's.. This device would have been the perfect GPS for me.. a lot of features.. However if they can't even get the most basic function to work correctly, I don't see future for it.
Pekkle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, can someone try the Service Pack 1 (SP1) please? I have already retuned mine, if they fixed the address problem, then I will buy them back.. Thanks in advance!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: