Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3 Bluetooth - GPS position unreliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3 Bluetooth - GPS position unreliable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: TomTom3 Bluetooth - GPS position unreliable Reply with quote

Morning all...

In the interests of license preservation (or at least that's how I justified it) I bought an iPAQ rx3715 & TomTom 3 Bluetooth Kit with the intention of adding the speed camera database to it. Before I even get to that step, I'm having problems getting the Bluetooth GPS working. I can use the bluetooth manager to connect to the GPS, and I've configured TT3 to recognise the GPS (I think by setting the port to Bluetooth Serial Port Com8, which gives me a 'GPS position unreliable' message in Navigator.

TomTom GPS dosen't show a signal whether the bluetooth connetion is connected or not.

While the maps are very good, I can't get it to find my street while trying to navigate a route. Surely expecting to be able to navigate to any given road without knowing the postcode isn't unreasonable?

Anyway, for anyone on here that may have TT3 BT, if you've experienced similar problems, any help would be much appreciated...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, it may not be COM8 - TomTom GPS drivers are known to redirect COM ports. Try uninstallng the current GPS driver and reinstall v2.07 from our downloads page

Secondly, "Is my house on the map?" is a very valid question, but more often than not programs fail to answer affirmative because the map material is flawed. Maps are never 100% complete, which immediately means your house (or your street) may or may not be on the map.

You can try another map provider and see if their maps are better. Mapopolis use Navtech maps, and you can download your county for free to check. (Mapopolis use NAVTEQ maps, TomTom use TeleAtlas maps.)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Firstly, it may not be COM8 - TomTom GPS drivers are known to redirect COM ports. Try uninstallng the current GPS driver and reinstall v2.07 from our downloads page

Secondly, "Is my house on the map?" is a very valid question, but more often than not programs fail to answer affirmative because the map material is flawed. Maps are never 100% complete, which immediately means your house (or your street) may or may not be on the map.

You can try another map provider and see if their maps are better. Mapopolis use Navtech maps, and you can download your county for free to check. (Mapopolis use NAVTEQ maps, TomTom use TeleAtlas maps.)

What may not be COM8?

Last time I put 2.0.7 on, it made my iPAQ crash and finished up with the only way I could get it to turn off was to take out the battery.

I've now uninstalled 3.0.3 that it came installed with and put 2.0.7 back on again. It's crashed again, but having turned back on, it will now allow me to select Bluetooth Serial Port COM6, which I've selected. Which port should I be using?

What should the LEDs on the GPS be doing?

I can find my street on the map by using the Postcode POI database but not navigate to it by street name in TT3.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingy82 wrote:

What may not be COM8?

The COM port you should be using. On your Pocket PC, go to the BT settings > Services > Serial Port > Advanced and note the Outbound COM port. That's what you should be using. It differs from Pocket PC to Pocket PC. On my 6315 it's COM7

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Kingy82 wrote:

What may not be COM8?

The COM port you should be using. On your Pocket PC, go to the BT settings > Services > Serial Port > Advanced and note the Outbound COM port. That's what you should be using. It differs from Pocket PC to Pocket PC. On my 6315 it's COM7

I've tried installing 2.0.7 and it made my iPAQ crash. Wouldn't turn back on again until I put it back in it's cradle & it reset to factory settings.

Any other ideas? Thanks again

Adam King
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a factory reset you should be able to access the GPS receiver directly from a utility like WinFast. Can you try that before you install any of the TomTom stuff?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
after a factory reset you should be able to access the GPS receiver directly from a utility like WinFast. Can you try that before you install any of the TomTom stuff?

What is WinFast? Is that a native or 3rd Party package? How do I manually initiate a factory reset?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Winfast from our downloads page.

To hard reset, press and hold 2 outer buttons and at the same time push the reset button with the tip of the stylus. be aware that this completely wipes all data and programs that are not stored in the iPAQ File Store

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You can get Winfast from our downloads page.

To hard reset, press and hold 2 outer buttons and at the same time push the reset button with the tip of the stylus. be aware that this completely wipes all data and programs that are not stored in the iPAQ File Store

Where is the reset button? I tried pressing the button on the 5-way controller in conjunction with the 2 outer buttons & it sent the screen into landscape mode, which was a useful shortcut. Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reset button is on the bottom of the device, near the iPAQ Mobile Media button.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem while testing an iPAQ 4700 WLAN the other day. The symptoms were that I could find the GPS receiver using Bluetooth Manager, but I never actually receive data from it, either in TomTom Navigator or in the standalone TrafCam program. I knew it wasn't hardware because the same GPS would function perfectly well with a Pocket Loox 420 I was testing at the same time.

I mentioned it to globalpositioningsystems.co.uk, who had lent me the unit, and they pointed me to this page on their site:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/page.php?page_id=7

After I downloaded the fix for the 4700 and did a soft reset, all was well. I notice that there is a similar 'fix' for the unit you mentioned.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@trafcam

thanks for the links. Interestingly enough they all do the same - replace the TomTom BT driver back with the original.

You can achieve the same goal by either using a registry editor and in the branch

HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\Serialx (x being your outbound serial port)

setting the string value "DLL" back to its original "BtCeIf.dll"

OR

BY NOT INSTALLING TTGPS 2.08 or later in the first place...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kingy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
I had a similar problem while testing an iPAQ 4700 WLAN the other day. The symptoms were that I could find the GPS receiver using Bluetooth Manager, but I never actually receive data from it, either in TomTom Navigator or in the standalone TrafCam program. I knew it wasn't hardware because the same GPS would function perfectly well with a Pocket Loox 420 I was testing at the same time.

I mentioned it to globalpositioningsystems.co.uk, who had lent me the unit, and they pointed me to this page on their site:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/page.php?page_id=7

After I downloaded the fix for the 4700 and did a soft reset, all was well. I notice that there is a similar 'fix' for the unit you mentioned.

How do you soft reset? Is this the same as just turning the device off and on again via the power button?

Charlie over at the GPS forums pointed that out to me as well, but it didn't make any difference. Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To soft reset you have to poke the stylus into the reset hole at the bottom or side of your PDA. It is not the same as switching the device off and on. It's more equivalent to the rebooting of a PC. (whereas the switch off/on is more equivalent to standby/wakeup)

If you do not know what a soft reset is then you are a very lucky man. Most Pocket PCs require a soft reset at least once a day.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem when i first installed TT3.

I installed it onto the SD Card along with the maps.

Once I reinstalled it onto the main memory and just had the maps on the SD card, everything has been fine since.

POIs all showing, IR beam on - and I never get a freeze up.
iPhone 5 (phoning)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: