Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need full 7 digit postcode and fully portable unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need full 7 digit postcode and fully portable unit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Need full 7 digit postcode and fully portable unit Reply with quote

Hi

I am a total newbie trying to help out my dad. He wants a satnav device that is totally portable, ie we need to be able to use it on foot in a town centre, and to be able to use it in different vehicles (works van, car etc).

We MUST be able to search using all digits in the postcode.

We finally managed to get a demonstration of some units in a shop and the 5 digits alone will not do.

Cost is not really an issue, usability is. It needs to be simple and reliable. Once it is setup it needs to just work. I will be the one doing the setup, and can cope with just about all sorts of software installation and hacking with sufficient instructions.

What thoughts do ppl have? I have read lots of things here, but is the Tom Tom Go the only option.?

GPS speed trap detection would be nice, again we do not mind paying for this if this will get us a more accurate and up to date database of traps.

Thanks for any suggestions you have
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom GO is not really an option for walks in the town centre. You will need to look at another, smaller unit like the new Navman's, or move over to a Pocket PC based solution (TomTom Navigator on the Pocket PC can support all 7 digits postcode with an add-on)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 7 Digit PostCode is a 'must have' then I suggest you look at a Mitac Mio168 with TomTom Navigator 3 and Digitools UKPostCode Plug-In.

That will fulfill all your requirements.

www.digitools.co.uk is the link to the plug-in, it's free and works superbly integrating with TomTom, just enter the post code and select navigate and it launches TomTom with the Post Code as the destination.
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, a choice of 2 Smile I will research both of these in a lot more detail.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get me started into the wonderful world of GPS.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Positioning Systems sell the Mitac Mio168/TomTom Bundle, see here.

We reviewed the Mio168 as part of the CoPilot Bundle a while back, see here.
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I had just found the GPS website through google and was looking at that very page - luck or what ??!

I really like the sound of your suggestion. I think this will be the one that we get, especially for the price.

Thanks again
ARH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this setup, have been for about 4 months, no issues as yet, except a few setup issues which were solved by the good poeple of this site.

Adrian.

Darren wrote:
If the 7 Digit PostCode is a 'must have' then I suggest you look at a Mitac Mio168 with TomTom Navigator 3 and Digitools UKPostCode Plug-In.

That will fulfill all your requirements.

www.digitools.co.uk is the link to the plug-in, it's free and works superbly integrating with TomTom, just enter the post code and select navigate and it launches TomTom with the Post Code as the destination.
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, thank for letting me know your setup is working well. It makes me feel more comfortable to know that others are having good results with the suggested solution.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
The TomTom GO is not really an option for walks in the town centre. You will need to look at another, smaller unit like the new Navman's, or move over to a Pocket PC based solution (TomTom Navigator on the Pocket PC can support all 7 digits postcode with an add-on)

Might I enquire why you think the Go isn't suitable for a walk-a -bout.

I've used it around town centers where i'm not accustomed to. I park up, make a POI of where i am, and going walk-a -bout. When it's time for returning, it knows exactly where to go, and i follow instructions as if i was in car, i also get some funny looks, when "Jane" shouts out, "You have reached your destination"

So i find it very useful when in town centers on a walk-a -bout.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the heavy side, and the antenna positioning requires you to carry it in front of you so the antenna has sky view.

So it WILL work in walking mode, but it WILL make you look very, uhm, interesting, and your arms may get tired.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO can be used on foot, that isn't the issue.
As Lutz says, it's hardly designed for going walkabout due to it's bulk.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
GaryM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a combination of a Navman PiN (rebranded Mitac Mio) with Tom Tom Navigator 3 and the postcode add-on.

I am extremely happy with this setup and have recommended it to 6 friends who have each bought one and use it without any problems.

Its short of one thing though - no bluetooth but thats minor for me and all the postive points more than make up for that minor ommision.
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just been reading the reviews of the various pieces of software on this site. It seems that the Co-Pilot 5 software is a better bet for us as it has several advantages over the Tom-Tom 3. I believe these advantages are :-
1) more up to date maps
2) crashes less

I was wondering 2 things. Is there a 7 digit postcode add-on for Co-Pilot 5, or has the Tom Tom software been updated to overcome these problems recently?

Thanks for any more advice you can give us Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
I was wondering 2 things. Is there a 7 digit postcode add-on for Co-Pilot 5, or has the Tom Tom software been updated to overcome these problems recently?

There is no such plug-in available for CoPilot as they do not offer an SDK for developers. The TomTom software is no more buggy than it's competitors and indeed in my experience is more stable than others.
Luminous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I shall kick my dad into actually going out and buying one now Smile

He keeps sitting on the fence........

I think in fairness he actually wants to get his hands on the device he is thinking of purchasing, so that he can have a little play with it, even it was in a shop. Unfortunately we cannot find anywhere that offers this facility. Especially since we will want to have the 7 digit postcode plugin installed.

I think its a case of jumping in with both feet now that we have been given some guidance from this forum. Thanks ppl.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: