Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help! im new to this!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help! im new to this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: help! im new to this! Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been trying for ages now to find a satellite navigation system, not too big or expensive with speed camera awareness all in one. A friend of mine recommended the tomtom one but it doesnt have speed camera awareness in it.....anyone got any recommendations>?

thanks loads,

Melody x
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom does have this navigator3 has a freeware program called checkpoint which you can down load also at pocketgps we have a free to use database which you can download too
checkpoint can be used with tomtom navigator 2 and 3
tomtom go and hp naviagtion pack can also use the databases as they have poi awarness built in as do other systems have a look at the reveiws as they will usuall say wether or not they can use the database

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Dabhand16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had my system for two weeks, but am very pleased with it. I decided I wanted an integrated unit, (PDAand GPS in one) - which limits you to a Mio 168 or clone. I bought the bundle from globalpositioning systems.co.uk that was the Mio 168, TomTom Navigator 3 software and a memory card. The cost was £325 and a car kit and all the necessary leads were supplied. I have downloaded checkPOInt 3.2 (free) to provide the alerts for the POI (OK, Cameras) and Digitools enhanced postcode search (free). I have bought Sprite premium Backup (£18), a pack of screen protectors and a pack of spare stylii. Everything works just as I wanted - I'm a very happy Bunny!! I am a newbie to all of this stuff, but would recommend the Mio package to anyone.
TTN3 3.03 (427) / Sprite Premium 3.1.4 b2419 / CheckPOInt 3.2.0.0 / Digitools UK PostCode / GPSW Safety Camera Database
Dabhand16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last post - the Sprite Premium backup was £18 - I don't know where the smiley came from!!
TTN3 3.03 (427) / Sprite Premium 3.1.4 b2419 / CheckPOInt 3.2.0.0 / Digitools UK PostCode / GPSW Safety Camera Database
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one has caught many of us out. Unless you turn smileys off, 8) is interpreted as the 'glasses' smiley. It's always wise to preview before you submit.

David
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dabhand,
Your post on the Mio 168 is very interesting. I am looking for a GPS system and have been watching this excellent forum picking up quite a number of tips. The Mio package seems a very attractive package, but a lot of people seem to recommend ipaq's, which seem to cost in excess of £100 compared to the Mio, and give some problems with BT connections.

On the basis of you only get what you pay for, what additional benefits would I get by going for an ipaq (say hx2110) and are there any limitations of the Mio.

I need the system predominately for navigation using Tomtom. Any other benefit of the PDA on its own would be a bonus.

Brian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio 168 has a built in GPS, but no Bluetooth, 802.11b (Wi-Fi) or CompactFlash slot. iPAQs, on the whole, have Bluetooth, and many have the other items in the list as well.

If, like me, you're interested in using the Internet on the move (for example for TomTom Traffic), you find yourself wanting Bluetooth. I personally can't do without any of Bluetooth, 802.11b and a CompactFlash slot on my Pocket PC.

However, for many applications, the Mio 168 is an excellent choice - as you say, it can work out far cheaper than an iPAQ.

You can get near to what you've got with a Mio 168 by buying a Pocket PC with a CompactFlash slot and a Haicom HI-303MMF GPS - but that's a much more expensive way of doing things, and for various reasons, not least battery life, a Bluetooth GPS is often a better choice than a CompactFlash GPS like the HI-303MMF.

David
thebatterystall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I have a HP hx4700 and wish to buy a CF GPS for it.
As I will have it connected to the cars cigar lighter socket most of the time its in use, and when I am walking I'm only gonna be using it on its own power for up to 2 hours, is there a big difference between BT and the HI-303MMF 's holding power ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I've not got figures to compare the battery drain of using a Bluetooth GPS and the HI-303MMF on the hx4700; I've never bothered testing.

However, the battery drain of a CompactFlash GPS is typically some way larger that of running the Bluetooth radio. Battery life depends on many factors, probably the biggest of which is the Pocket PC's backlight level.

David
PDAonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: help! im new to this! Reply with quote

melody wrote:
Hey all,

I've been trying for ages now to find a satellite navigation system, not too big or expensive with speed camera awareness all in one. A friend of mine recommended the tomtom one but it doesnt have speed camera awareness in it.....anyone got any recommendations>?

thanks loads,

Melody x

Hi Melody,

We retail TomTom products. We can install the Speed Camera software for you on selected ranges.. See the links below.

TomTom GO
TomTom Wired with a PDA
TomTom Bluetooth with a PDA
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Melody

I use a Medion MD95000 which is a Mitac Mio 168 rebrand, this uses Navigon GPS software as opposed to TomTom that most retailers sell.

I am sure that the TomTom software is just as good as the Navigon (maybe better), both have different features, and the TomTom is easier to use and has a better postcode search than the Navigon software.

Both software options can use the Safety Camera POI's as well as other POI's, but you would have to pay a one off 30 euro price for the software in order to use POI's with the Navigon GPS software.

The Mio 168 is also a PDA which works very well.

Regards

PocketGps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: