Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - easydevices.co.uk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

easydevices.co.uk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: easydevices.co.uk Reply with quote

First of all, when I telephoned easydevices last week they provided me with a prompt and efficient service in supplying me with a Globalsat SD 501 and were knowledgeable in answering my many questions.

However it really is inexcusable that on their website they advertise their sales line telephone number of 0871-7000-156 as being charged at BT Standard Rate. There is no such rate. The most common residential call rate is 3p per minute. As a matter of principle I usually do not deal over the phone with companies who use 0870, 0871 or similar numbers because of the rip-off high call charge rate. BT have shown this 0871 number as a "Special Service" number on my bill and it has been charged at 10p per minute.

Now I know I'm well into the "Grumpy Old Men" age bracket, but I don't appreciate being charged three times what I expected for the privilege of placing an order with easydevices. I'm sure the "BT Standard Rate" description on their website is an oversight. I have just now complained to them by email and asked them to post here that they will amend the website and make their telephone charges absolutely clear, otherwise it becomes a matter for Ofcom.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about being grumpy I fully agree with you.

Many companies use 0870 numbers because they get a percentage of the call. A good little moneyspinner.

I always look for an alternative number to call and a good place to start is here:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/

You will find many well known companies listed and many of them have freephone numbers too so we can all say NO to 0870!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I saw was that 087xx numbers were charged at 7p inc vat per minute. But I know what you mean. I don't pay for landline UK calls now (only a 1p connection fee per call) so I do hate calling 087xx numbers.

Technically the 087xx number is a 'National Rate' as opposed to 'Geographic / Local Rate', so it should be changed to this.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the BT Phone Book, it says 0870 codes are charged at the "originating operator's national rate", whereas 0871 codes are "up to 10p per minute set by terminating operator". The lowest 0871 rate listed in the BT online price list is 3p per minute and is for numbers starting with 08710901.

The BT rates for 0870 National Rate numbers are 7.51p per minute Mon-Fri 0800-1800; 3.75p per minute 1800-0800 Mon-Fri; 1.50p per minute all day Saturday and Sunday.

The BT online price list shows that easydevices numbers which start with 0871700 are charged at 10p per minute all day, every day so the rip-off is even worse than you might think - no cheap rate calls to easydevices! Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add in the above post that the only fair way that easydevices can sort this on their website is to say that customer calls to their numbers are 10p per minute at all times.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't single easydevices out, that's unfair. Every company that uses 0870 numbers are guilty of this to some degree.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I'll have to disagree that I'm being unfair. easydevices advertise a telephone number (not 0870, it's 0871) as being charged at BT Standard Rate - which does not exist - and does not make it clear that the charge is 10p per minute, 24 hours a day, - over three times the "standard" BT Together Option 1 daytime rate....that is unfair.

I should have had a clear choice - if I didn't like the charges, I should have gone elsewhere......and I would have done if their website had given the information that would have allowed that choice to be made.
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mearns,
Thank you for your feedback. I have passed your comments to the relevant people and I am sure it will be acted upon. We do take customer feedback very seriously.

Please understand that our product support line allows for the same call rate no matter where you are in the country, but most importantly, calls to our company are answered promptly, efficiently and in most cases last little more than a few minutes.

Most online enquiries are done by email and therefore free for the customer. Our emails are also replied to promptly and efficiently.

I am pleased to read your positive comments about our staff at EasyDevices.co.uk. These comments have also been passed on.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EasyD2 wrote:
Please understand that our product support line allows for the same call rate no matter where you are in the country

That's all very well but but when many telecom providers now charge national and local calls at the same rate (for example 3p per min) I am sure you can understand why people are going to get extremely frustrated. It can cost up to 3 times as much to call an 087x number which could be located just down the road than to call a standard geographic 200 miles away.

We are now in a ludicrous situation where 0845 numbers (meant to be local rate) cost more per minute than a standard national call.

Hardly fair is it?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean - many thanks for the reply and also the personal email to me. I look forward to seeing the web site being amended with clarification of the 0871 charges. However there are 0871 numbers available which cost only 3p per minute rather than the 10p per minute of the easydevices number

Lest anyone be in any doubt, this was my only criticism of easydevices. In my dealings they have been efficent and knowledgeable and customer care is obviously a priority as can be seen by both by Sean's prompt reply and his willingness to participate in these forums.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: