Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amalgamated Postcodes file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amalgamated Postcodes file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Amalgamated Postcodes file Reply with quote

OK, I've finally managed to hack all* of the available UK postcode files in to one "postcodes_gb.ov2" . I'm going to try and get a bigger CD card tomorrow and see if the TTG can happily use a 45 MB POI file (!). If it does I'll let anyone who wants it have a copy. It was a bit of a nightmare to make - had to use the older version of WinOV2 and a couple of file splitting/joining utilities as my laptop kept falling over trying to create the final file in one go!

Tim

* - when I say 'all' I mean all of the codesearch... files from the POI area as well as the big Central London file (I think it contains the entries form the 2m and 5m radius files - there are certainly duplicates at a quick glance) and the additional Surrey file. However it seems as though those files do still have some postcodes missing - for example KT?? ??? had been identified as not in any of them. Anyone who's interested, watch this space.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tim, lets hope it works, sounds like it was a lot of work!.
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo

I've consolidated the London codesearch files into one file and the South and Southeast files into another and they both work. The South / South East combination runs to 8.5 MB and works fine so it will be interesting to see what happens with your 45 MB file.

The only problem I've noticed is that the bigger the file the longer it takes the TomTom to find the code which is why I didn't consolidate the two any further.

As for KT? ??? I think you will find them in the Code Search South East file.

Michael
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutant wrote:

As for KT? ??? I think you will find them in the Code Search South East file.

Michael

So they are! It was a certain postcode that we couldn't find, in fact a whole KT? number - maybe they are new ?
Tim
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad OK it doesn't work. It seems like the file is too big for TTG to search - it can find the 100 closest too you instantly but when it searches for others it either says the code is not there or seems to time out and instead plots the route to the first greyed-out code that was on the screen when you started searching for the one you wanted (often the closest code to your current location resulting in a nice trip around the block! :D )
A quick test with the North East codes (that's where my Mum lives and what prompted this exercise as she lives in the sticks with no road name or house number) shows that you can roll a region in to a single file and that works fine. I'll do that, have a a few Postcodes_North_East.ov2 etc files. That should help. I'll put London, Surrey and the SE in one file and see if it copes with that.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK that works. I now have a few files named Postcodes_South_East.ov2 etc etc.
The South East one with the large Central London file and Surrey added comes to just over 10MB and works fine. There is a delay of about 30 seconds, maybe a little more while it searches that file but I can live with that.

TTG's own 5-digit, street, house number is both quicker and more accurate if you know it, but this method works well, and you then have both options, useful if you are visiting business premises when they often don't list the building number but do give the postcode or if, like me, you have awkward family or friends who live on un-named roads or on roads for which no building number info is on the maps.

If others want the files I will upload them to my website,
Tim
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
If others want the files I will upload them to my website,
Tim

Good idea, Tim - I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, but no webspace to put the file on for the benefit of others.

As long as people realise that it takes a l o n g time to search the combined file! Patience is required. Rolling Eyes
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded the files. Grab them from http://www.timodonnell.co.uk/ttg/

Tim
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Thanks - I'll give them a try
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Surrey PostCodes Reply with quote

I've download the Surrey postcodes but there are some missing - such as GU6 8PN - although 8EZ and a couple of others are there. Can I add these to the file or directly into GO ? Thanks.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do either I think. To add it in to the file you'll need to convert the ov2 file to .asc using WinOV2, edit that with Wordpad or something then use WinOV2 to convert back. I take it you know the Lat Long of the ones you want to add?
I think you could also just browse to the location on the map and add them direct to the TTG that way.
pilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
You could do either I think. To add it in to the file you'll need to convert the ov2 file to .asc using WinOV2, edit that with Wordpad or something then use WinOV2 to convert back. I take it you know the Lat Long of the ones you want to add?
I think you could also just browse to the location on the map and add them direct to the TTG that way.

Thanks for the information, I'll have a go at the weekend with that.
RobP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
Uploaded the files. Grab them from http://www.timodonnell.co.uk/ttg/ Tim

Sterling work Tim. Give yourself a big pat on the back :D

Nice fast download from your website too!

RobP
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Having put the postcodes in ok how do I then use them ?

I can navigate to POI then postcodes near to me but how would I find a specific postcode ? where do I type it in?

Many Thanks

Mark
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigate to, POI, then tap the little keyboard icon and type it in including the space - wait 30 or 40 seconds et voila.

I will add these instructions to my site when I get back (currently away on a work trip)

Tim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: