Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What brand and size of SD card??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What brand and size of SD card??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WSquared
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have done a bit more testing before posting. Sorry, bear with me. I've only had this new PDA & TT3 for a couple of weeks now.

Re-reading this and the other thread on SD cards with TomTom, I compared the TT3 address lookup spead between the Play SD card I have in the X50v's internal storage. The Play SD card is much slower. I'll try changing the file system to Fat32 and the cluster size. The card seems to be stable in my x50v now. I hope I don't make it unstable!

Cheers, William
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Integral "High Speed" SD card I had to be very fast (compared to most SD cards) on writes, jolly slow on reads, and generally unreliable especially when seeking.

I had it foul up under various scenarios - though TomTom Navigator 3 would usually break my card (formatted FAT32 with 2KByte cluster) as would two concurrent file operations.

David
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have missed a thread on this, but I can find anything.

Can I ask a couple of questions Question :-

Unless it is stated on the package/card, is there a way to tell the speed of a card. Do the numbers on the card refer to this in anyway. I was also wondering if there is an application/program for either PC or PPC to test cards for speed etc. (rather than transfering a few huge files and punching times/mb in a calculator).

As happens, I just purchased a Dane-Elec 256 SD... well I didn't exactly purchase it, I was asked to try it by a retailer when I had to return a couple of defective SanDisk's!. This Dane-Elec is marked 'made in Taiwan' and 'Toshiba' which seems to be a bit contrary to some comments here. Anyone else tried these cards, so far no problems... unlike the returned SanDisk's.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshiba may now be making cards in Taiwan; you can only try the card and see what you conclude.

There are benchmarking applications for storage cards, such as Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic. Sometimes benchmarks are useful, sometimes they're misleading; to a large extent, the most important test is to try the card in the application or applications you bought it for and form your own opinion of it. A card that benchmarks lower than another may actually be more suited to your particular application, and a fast but unreliable card is usually worthless.

David
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

DavidW wrote:
... you can only try the card and see what you conclude.

Fair comment I guess, but when we shop for things like hard drives, ram, etc., we do like to know the spec's., even if it is just to do a price comparison and to know what we get for or buck.

Just my thoughts, but surely some hardware/software operation is dependant on transfer rates to and from storage devices. From reading these forums, I get the impression that TomTom (for example) will choke on a slow card.

Not that I have ever looked too closely, but I have never seen a card in the stores with speed spec's., so I was curious if the numbers on the card mean anything or I could test them.

On the other hand... what I don't know, can't hurt me Smile ... or wind me up Laughing

Happy 2005
Ken.
SHADOW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a kingston 512mb card that is stuffed with poi's...works a treat..paid £25 8O for it at british computer fair....good luck..
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cards sold with performance ratings, but they're not that meaningful when used with Pocket PCs.

Compatibility depends on the particular device and ROM version with each individual card design, though one of the 'bad' designs I mentioned I could break in all the devices I tried it in.

As I said, there are benchmarking utilities, but it's "real life" experience that matters most.

David
LT4play
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with PQI?
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4300115

I did anything listed about it on the sdprob.aximsite.com website.
Anybody know who manufacturers it?
Anybody know how it benchmarks compared to others?

According to the manufacturer:
Hi-Speed 60
Max. data transfer rate:9MB/sec*
Capacities available: 64MB to 1GB
*Speeds vary by capacity and configuration

fyi - This would be for use in a Navman iCN-510.
WSquared
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had some time to format the Play 1GB HS SD card with FAT32/2Kb cluster size. Address lookup in TomTom is now a lot faster. I think the map view panning might be a touch faster as well.
The Pocket Mechanic Card Benchmark with Fat32/2Kb is now slower than when it was Fat16/512b.

I'll see if any of the other applications installed on the SD card now exhibit strange behavior with the new file system settings. I also need to give TomTom more of a workout.

Cheers, William
Nokia 6310i
Seidio x50 mount
WSquared
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit-> Those lowercase b's should be uppercase B's for Byte.
thebatterystall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Card size Reply with quote

I'm currently testing an Integral "High Speed" 1GB SD card for Rob at ValueFlash. I've bought the card at full price to try it in my iPAQ hx4700. In return for sharing the results of my tests, Rob has agreed to let me return the card if I hit problems.

Hi David,

Sorry I haven't got time to look down all the posts from last November for your test results, but could you please tell me if you experienced any problems with that 1gb SD card and did it work with TT3 OK ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That card was hopeless and had to go back. Rob sent me a 1GB Lexar 32x SD card to replace it, which seems to work fine, though I'd like to use it a little longer to feel totally secure in that conclusion.

David
WSquared
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on the Play(aka Integral?) 1GB High Speed SD card...

I have noticed that the TT3 route calculation is slower now that I have reformatted to Fat32/2KB.
To recap, the address lookup is faster, but the route calc is slower.

Also, one of my work colleages recently purchased a 'bytestor' 1GB high speed SD card. Based on the code on the back of it, it looks like another rebranded Integral card like my Play card. See it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002XVHCU/o/qid=1104937051/sr=2-1/ref=sr_bt_1/202-7188592-3819808
He has had a few lockups on his XDAII, but he isn't sure whether it is a TT3 problem or that his XDA is running out of memory.
paulie01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the bytesor 512mb card from amazon, 30 pounds or so, i have had no lock ups or any problems i am using a hp rz1710 with tomtom3 and a sirf II gps reciever, but what i did find yesterday whilst travelling up the a1 was that it completely lost where we were, i was on the a1 at wetherby going through a contra flow, and tomtom said i was on a b road somewhere in yorkshire and it wouldnt recalculate my route.... but then after i came out of the contraflow it was ok????
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at SD cards after deciding, with advice from here, not to get a mini drive. Seems like there are now a number of 'fast' SD cards on the market at reasonable prices. Kingston make a couple as does ATP. ATP. Kingstons are marked High Speed, ATPs are marked 60X. Seems that ATP make larger memory size than Kingston (up to 2Mb)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: