Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What brand and size of SD card??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What brand and size of SD card??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first SD card was a SanDisk (made in China) which proved a horrible card. Soon had many errors on it (dot directories).

As others in this thread have advised, it may well be best to avoid memory cards made in China, and stick to high quality brands which are made in USA or Japan made cards. For just a few more pounds, you are going to have a card which you can rely on.

A PEAK card? If this is the same company then I would guess they just rebadge SanDisks.

My Lexar SD card (USA) has proved reliable and I've no complaints with it, but doesn't benchmark particularly well.

I'm happiest now with my Crucial cards, both CF and SD.

Crucial 256MB High-Speed Secure Digital Cards now at just £28.19 with free Royal Mail Special Delivery.

As for size, well can you get by with 128mb for TTNav3? Added to which it's sensible to have a restore image (Sprite ect) on the card, should you need to restore your PDA away from home, which also requires some space. You'd be pushing it with 128mb I'd have thought.

My CF cards are both 512, but my SD cards are both 256mb and are ok for now. They store TTNav3 UK + the extra Euro map + a couple of restore files with about 10mb left over. No room for anything else really.

When it comes to memory though, You Just Can't Get Enough ;)
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So TTNav3 UK + Euro + few image restores... and not forgeting the excellent ukpostcode, all fit on my 256mb SD cards, but doesn't leave room for much else.

Anyway I would just recommend you don't get a Sandisk or cheapo no-brand card.
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that doghead, that's the kind of advice I was looking for. Anyway we'll see what happens as I've just bought a 512 Kingston. On the back it's got made in Taiwan Sad but this may not be too bad. There's a website all about SD cards and it list what are good and bad, looking at the serial number of the card I've just bought it's got the 'right' serial number. Also it's a rebadged Toshiba (weird from Kingston). Anyway I've formatted the card and copied all the stuff over from my CF card and I'll test it later. I wanted a 512 just so I could store a few MP3's as well as TT3 maps and a 256 just didn't seem enough. I'll let you know how this card gets on.
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start here's the link to the website that lists good and bad SD cards.

http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

I've tested the 512 Kingston SD card and I'm pretty certain it's still causing TT3 to hang. A few people mentioned the size of the card being a problem so I tried another SD card, this time I tried a 128 Panasonic SD card this also has a good serial number and and is made in Japan. This hasn't worked either so I can only assume it's to do with the SD slot on my PDA. I've gone back to using the CF card (256 Sandisk made in China) and it works all the time, never hangs and no need to hide the POI's. Hiding the POI's did work like a few people suggested, but I'd rather have them showing. Anyway I've got a refund on my SD card so that's that, I may still get an SD card later on just so I can have MP3's to listen to and have a fully working TT3 with ChecPOInt.

This is only my experience with SD cards and having asked around a lot of people haven't had any problems at all. For those who have turned off their POI's you may want to get a CF card and try it yourself. Any questions about this just let me know, I'll do my best to help.

I tested on a H2210 ROM 1.10, Fortuna BT clip-on reciever, TT3.01, GPS Driver v3.00, checkpoint 3.2 with October overlays.
tailazoom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently using a 512mb sd fro sandisk and a 512mb sd from delkin:
both cheap, fast and reliable, with tt3, tomtom 4.4 and every other prog
swaterworth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Has anybody heard of Impact SD cards Reply with quote

Has anybody heard of Impact SD cards , and if so what is there verdict. I am thinking of buying one from a friend who seems to be selling a 256 mb very cheap. Recommended or not

Cheers all

Steve
JEM2369
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfw,

I have been having some problems with my SD card, so you are not alone. My set-up is as follows; ipaq 2210 (Bios 1.10) Fortuna BT Clip-on GPS receiver, TT3.03 TT GPS 3.03 and Kingston 128Mb (made in Japan).

Originally I had been using my SD card in my camera and just plugged it into my new ipaq and loaded some TT maps onto it. I had real problems with BT and could not figure out what the hell was happening Confused . Once I did manage to get TT to hold the BT connection it would'nt hold for more than about 5-6 mins. when driving. I did notice that mostly, although not always, it seemed to drop the link after a re-calculation of the route. Eventually I tried copying a 16M map directly into ipaq memory and removing the SD card. Idea This worked perfectly and I think proves that the SD card was slowing down the processing of the maps. I have now reformatted the SD card (it still had bits on it from when it was in my camera) and now it has only dropped the BT link once in about 6 hours of driving, which I think I can just about accept. I have got a couple of POI active (petrol and cash ) but I also use the 2D mode as I thought it would ease the load on the processor. I quite like 2D now as you get to see a bit more of the roads around you, but I guess thats personal preference.

anyhow the points I wanted to make is that the SD card can make a big difference, and not just the card, but the state of the data on the SD card too. Make a copy of the card then reformat and then copy the data back again. Also if you are having problems try running your maps directly from the ipaq. Maybe not as a permanent solution, but as a test.

BTW cjw, have you tried upgrading TT to 3.03 and TT GPS to 3.03? Your ipaq ROM is the latest so that should be ok.

Hope this helps. :D
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply JEM2369, I have everything working exactly how I want it to using the CF card. Sorry if I'm reading what you said wrong but can you tell me where your maps are and how big it is, also does it work OK when you're in 3D view?? Thanks again.

Smile
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a 2210 try downloading the SDIO driver update from HP
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20674.html
It may, or may not, help you with your SD card problems but it's there to try.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may get round to doing the update if I get an SD card but as everything's working perfectly with my CF card I can't see that happening anytime soon. Thanks for the link.
JEM2369
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys, Thanks for the driver update, :D I had been checking for updates to the ipaq BT, as this was were the problem seemed to lie (BT link dropping). It now seems that it was the SD card that caused this problem, although having re-formatted my SD things seem to be settled down quite a bit. I may well try it out in a week or so. BTW in your sig you have ROM version 1.10.07, how did you know/get the .07 bit, as on reset my ipaq just shows 1.10. Confused

cfw, I had a 16M map on a SD card which had had plenty of piccy copied on and off it. This caused BT to drop continuously. I copied the 16M map into ipaq memory to see if the SD was the cause, and had no BT probs at all. I have since completely re-formatted the SD and placed the 16M map back onto it (and nothing else as yet) and I have had only 1 BT drop since. ... Arrow That was until I added 2 more POI after reading your post. With 4 POI BT performance was back to continuously dropping again.

I know have no POI selected with no probs. I also swap between 2D and 3D with no probs and think that 3D is not such a big overhead, but POI are.

cfw what size CF are you using, sorry if you have already said this in a previous post. I could do with some more memory, as my SD is 128Mb and would rather not clog it up with too many other files.
:D
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Card size Reply with quote

This is something from a different thread. I take it that everyone here at some time has their PDA in contact with or near a magnet? If not has anyone considered using a mini drive in a CF slot in lace of a card? 2GB drives are common now and are quite stable. Anyone else out there who uses minis?
cfw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEM2369 I'm using a 256 Sandisk (made in China) and I'm looking at getting a 512 Kingston CF, I've not had any problems with the Sandisk what so ever. I've taken it straight out of a Canon camera without formatting it and it works fine. I've got the full UK map on it (100 MB), I can get it to show all the POI's, petrol stations, airports and all 4 types of safety cameras. I would recommend a CF card, to be honest it's a little slower than an SD card especially when you're scrolling in map mode, but when you're actually navigating it's perfect.

If you get one try it out showing POI and see if it works. Don't forget to let us know.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEM2369 wrote:
in your sig you have ROM version 1.10.07, how did you know/get the .07 bit, as on reset my ipaq just shows 1.10.

From your PPC today screen:

Start | Settings| System (middle tab) | Asset viewer | Version

This will list (amongst other things):
ROM Date: 03/01/04
ROM Revision: 1.10.07 ENG
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Card size Reply with quote

Taxman wrote:
This is something from a different thread. I take it that everyone here at some time has their PDA in contact with or near a magnet? If not has anyone considered using a mini drive in a CF slot in lace of a card? 2GB drives are common now and are quite stable. Anyone else out there who uses minis?

Those microdrives are slow for navigation use - they're much slower than flash memory cards.

1GB CompactFlash memory cards are now fairly cheap. 2GB CompactFlash memory cards are around - though they're still around £170. The last time I looked, the saving of a 2GB microdrive over a 2GB CompactFlash memory card wasn't that great - and the memory card is much more robust (including to damage from magnets), are faster and use much less power.

I'm currently testing an Integral "High Speed" 1GB SD card for Rob at ValueFlash. I've bought the card at full price to try it in my iPAQ hx4700. In return for sharing the results of my tests, Rob has agreed to let me return the card if I hit problems.

Neither Rob nor I recognise the manufacturer (unfortunately the Panasonic badged 1GB SD card is ridiculously expensive).

The write speed is very high - far faster than my Panasonic (badged Integral) 512MB card. Pocket Mechanic 1.49 confirms the high write speed, but gives fairly disappointing read speed figures. Spb Benchmark 1.01, however, is much less condemnatory of the read speed - on the variety of read tests it runs, the 1GB card beats my Panasonic 512MB on some. I've run all the tests on both the iPAQ hx4700 and my old iPAQ h3970 (with the 4.00.08 Pocket PC 2003 ROM), and they produce similar results on both machines.

I'm hoping to try the card with TomTom Navigator 3 on the hx4700 - but I can't really do that until my new Brodit mount arrives (likely tomorrow as Handnav have shipped it, but it seems certain to arrive only after I get back from my early morning trip to London, as I have to leave at 6am).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: