Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Browsing the Internet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Browsing the Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Browsing the Internet Reply with quote

Can I select my normal dial up ISP, Virgin Pay as You Go, through my 2210 and therefore through my bluetooth mobile or are there "special" sites I need to go through? Is this how it works for most people? Also do I have to turn off navigating to do that?

Additional starter for 10

Unconnected but what is the best handwriting recognition software for the PPC?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Browsing the Internet Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Can I select my normal dial up ISP, Virgin Pay as You Go, through my 2210 and therefore through my bluetooth mobile or are there "special" sites I need to go through? Is this how it works for most people? Also do I have to turn off navigating to do that?

It depends on what you're trying to do, if it's just browse the internet then you could but it'll probably cost a lot of money, your best bet is to go for a GPRS connection. Not sure if Virgin do this on PAYG, but check with them, you only pay for the amount of bandwidth you use, so if you don't use much it won't be that expensive, most phone companies charge around £4 per 3mb.

You don't have to turn navigation off, but it depends on how much memory you have as you may be a tad low on memory doing both (and it's dangerous to drive, navigate and surf the web all at the same time).

topgazza wrote:
Unconnected but what is the best handwriting recognition software for the PPC?

Personally I stay away from handwriting software, it never works with me. I either use a Bluetooth or standard keyboard that plugs into the sync port, or use the fitaly which is a soft keyboard which re-arranges letters to allow for faster typing. It's hard to get used to, but if you don't mind sticking at it for a while you can do around 70 words per minute with sliding characters to get caps. It also does predictive typing so it gets to know the word you type and after 3 or 4 chars you can just tap the word that appears and it'll type the word out for you.
OBH6UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find only Orange support GPRS for data on PAYG. The alternative is to use CSD at 9K6Bps and pay by the minute, slow and expensive.
OBH6UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange charge on PAYG £3.00 per MB upto 3Mb or you can buy 4Mb for £4.00 every month.

http://www.orange.co.uk/services/email/costs.html
OBH6UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction £4.00 per Mb.

Note to mods, why can we edit our posts? Say for upto one hour after posting like most forums?
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the non-editing posts thing is due to some of the earlier posts being done with a different board or something, so not all could be edited. I don't remember the exact details, but it's something that unfortunately can't be achieved even though everyone would like it...
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a company phone which has Vodafone as a supplier so I don't mind using the dial up through that on the odd time I'll use it. I'd then use my Virgin PAYG account . Have to find out how they charge though.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also put in a vote for the Fitaly soft keyboard. Just paid my $25 for it after a 30-day trial.

Virgin do now provide GPRS at £5 per mb.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Fitaky web site it says its for Windows CE 3.0 or Pc 2002. No mention of CE 4.20 which I appear to have!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitaly works fine under Windows Mobile 2003, I'm using it myself.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've just downloaded it to try. Posted eslwhere here but mt BT connection keeps dropping out after 2-3 minutes. Is there some sort of time out between the iPaq and the clip on that can be adjusted ? Showing 5 green blobs at present in Outgoing connections ...then wham...they disappear...just now..again. It reconnects straight away when I hit "My Shortcuts" and the ClipOn-BT GPS:SPP Slave icon.

Its driving me nuts. Faulty Clip On? Its new today.

Have installed co pilot and that seems to be fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: