Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO Failures - Was (TT Go gone phut)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO Failures - Was (TT Go gone phut)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk this is a different scenario... and less destructive...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Powelly131
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's too, sent it back to TT, called them at 1.30pm, collected by carrier 4pm, with them by 10.30am next day - good service that....
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: tomtom not so GO Reply with quote

Hi guys, well I'm new here and with the same problem... or rather a slight variation...

I live in Switzerland and just received my new Tomtom Go this morning from www.pcp.ch

Hastly unpacked and plugged in the charger for 5 minutes to get it wound up so I could at least switch it on (this was indoors, not in the car) I turn around to see that the charge light has gone off, and I picked up the unit and I could smell that lightly fried electronics smell.... oooh-ohhh I thought.

The strange thing is that the car charger works!!! But it apears that the AC charger blew straight away. The tomtom unit is fine, and like I say works from the car charger, through both the cradle and the AC port on the back of the unit itself.

Thus with me it's the AC charger/power supply that blew up!
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tonyfinn.... I live in Switzerland too and got mine from pcp.ch as well!

Strange that it's the mains charger that has blown it this time then. Must be a bad charging circuit then I guess.

Mine was replaced (took about ten days or so in total) and so far I have not charged it at all - either with the mains or the in-car charger. But, the battery is low so I will have to take my chance and try it tonight..... Confused

Hope you get it sorted with pcp.ch. I agreed with them not to pay the bill until I'd received a replacement.....
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well they were very good with me, infact I am quite touched!! Laughing Out Loud

Because it was a present, and I wouldn't have had the time to send it back (long story) and wait for a replacement, they decided to split open a new box and send me the replacement AC charger.

I received it this afternoon, and plugged it in for charge - 5 minutes later it was still charging. Fortunately there is someone at home to keep an eye on it.

I think it's ok now... fingers crossed.

Apart from that problem it is otherwise an amazing product!

Managed to find and direct me to a place in Geneva that I couldn't find before... I am impressed!
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sadly the charger wants to charge - but the Tomtom go doesn't want to know anything about it... tried it over night and nothing... not even even an extra 5 minutes of charge... tried it through the AC port and the mount socket but to no avail - tried resetting the tomtom, also tried the new software update (even though it is obvious that the problem is hardware related)

So there another blown tomtom...

DHL Express picked it up this afternoon and it'll be at the repair centre by next tuesday I hope.

Fingers crossed...
Synchro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Reading all these posts about frying TTG's makes me shiver...I don't want to lose my Jane...my dear "Slut Nav" ...as my wife calls it Smile

Anyway...I am not into electronics but I have TomTom Go since August and it works fine with both charging units.

Now, an interesting fact that may help...I have an old Renault Laguna and I can tell you if you can find a dodgier looking ciggy lighter in a car let me know, but I use one of these splitters that gives you 3 more sockets, do these things even out the voltage in some way?...no one mentioned these here and in my case it works perfectly? am I talking total rubbish here?Smile

My in car has also a QC Pass No 2 (hand-written)

Also...something new! I had once the TTG to completely freeze on me right in a middle of a journey and the on-off button didn't work, so I had to stop and do a reset… which was a bit of adventure finding a suitable tool that would fit through that tiny hole.
So now after few millions of £ invested into serious engineering I have developed the ultimate tool that I plan to sell in the near future as soon as the patenting rights are sorted!
You can have a sneak preview at: www.synchronik.com/stuff/tomtom
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I must get one of those! Laughing
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an even easier way to reset the GO, and cheaper than Synchro's tool.

You simply eject the SD card, wait for the GO to complain, and then re-insert the card.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Aquanick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have been using my tomtom go powered from the supplied in car charger.
Have used it regular off both 12v input and 24v input....somtimes leaving it on charge for many hours at a time........I have had no problems.

Fingers crossed that this continues!

Nick
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Got my Go yesterday. Downloaded the camera stuff, which is why i bought the GO in the first place (costs as much as the road angel but better by miles :P ).

This thread has me worrying about my car charger Confused

It is my intention that the unit more or less lives in the car, and as such i plan to use the car charger mostly. My car charger has a little red fuse built into it, is this a new feature these units that 'cook' Go's lack?

More important, am i fussing about nothing?

Cheers.

PS, if you answer that last one, i won't come back with a grudge if it fries!!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would not use that charger but buy one of the standard iPAQ chargers instead. Those are safe and will not try to cook the GO.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotus_Esprit_Turbo wrote:
Hi,

This thread has me worrying about my car charger Confused

More important, am i fussing about nothing?

Cheers.

PS, if you answer that last one, i won't come back with a grudge if it fries!!!

Use third party chargers "At your own risk"

I think your worrying for nothing. Think about ALL the other TT Go's sold, not just the few with this problem. if you use a third party charger, and it blows up, where's your warranty gone, up in smoke, for not using the supplied charger. At least if it is a faulty unit, you get a FREE replacement. Not if you use third party chargers. be careful.

If this "charger" was a known problem, TomTom would re-call all affected units. As yet, they say it's only a few isolated units affected. When using car charger, start car engine FIRST before connecting car charger, as the alternator sometimes spikes electric circuits when first started. Mine as been in car happily for months without ill-effect.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Start car engine FIRST before connecting car charger, as the alternator sometimes spikes electric circuits when first started.

This is very sound advice! Do not connect any unit (e.g. TTGO, PDA, car Christmas tree, etc) to your vehicle’s power-outlet / cigar-lighter-socket until after you have started the engine.

I have a four-way socket in my vehicle, which currently has a Radar Detector, a Morpheous Geodesy (GPS Detector), and two PDAs plugged into it. I sometimes disconnect one of the units to provide power to another unit (e.g. Phone charger). So far, I have never had a problem with any electrics.

I keep all of the units plugged into the four-way socket for ease of use, however the four-way socket is never plugged into the cigar-lighter-socket until 5 to 10 seconds after the engine has started.

Regards
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
When using car charger, start car engine FIRST before connecting car charger, as the alternator sometimes spikes electric circuits when first started. Mine as been in car happily for months without ill-effect.

Too Right!

We's talking Lotus here. Probably borrowed the alternator from a tractor or something...
I swear i've seen the streetlights dim when i start up Wink

Thanks for advice, took unit to work today in my day car.
VERY, VERY impressed :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: