Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM INTRODUCES INDIVIDUAL COUNTRY MAPS ON SD CARDS FOR GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM INTRODUCES INDIVIDUAL COUNTRY MAPS ON SD CARDS FOR GO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM INTRODUCES INDIVIDUAL COUNTRY MAPS ON SD CARDS FOR GO Reply with quote

TomTom GO Maps TomTom announce country maps for TomTom GO.

Something a lot of people have been asking for is additional mapping for the TomTom GO. TomTom have reacted to this by releasing a series of "Plug and GO" SD cards pre-installed with maps of a number of different countries.

The following is a full copy of the Press Release:

TomTom wrote:
TOMTOM INTRODUCES INDIVIDUAL COUNTRY MAPS ON SD CARDS FOR TOMTOM GO

Amsterdam, 20th September 2004 – TomTom, Europe’s leading personal and in-car navigation solution provider, today announces its national road maps for drivers travelling across Europe* using TomTom GO, the all-in-one car navigation device. The maps, which are pre-installed on SD memory cards marks the first time that individual country maps have been made available for the car driver in such an easy to use format. Holiday makers and business drivers alike simply need to pop the new card into their TomTom GO when they hit the border – and can then keep on driving.

The maps have been created by TomTom to ensure that drivers using TomTom GO enjoy an easy, stress-free journey while driving across Europe. The memory cards only need to be slotted into the device and then the driver can immediately start navigating in his chosen country, using the detailed maps provided. The SD card includes a detailed map of the chosen country, as well as points of interest, such as restaurants and hotels.

TomTom GO is designed to get you from A to B in the easiest way possible. Just type in the address of where you are and where you want to go and let TomTom GO do the rest.

Detailed country maps on SD cards for TomTom GO will be available from mid-October at major retailers. The recommended retail price is €149, per map, including VAT.

More information is available at the TomTom website at www.tomtom.com.

*Country maps available for Great Britain, Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg), France, Italy, Germany, Alps (Austria, Switzerland and Southern Germany), Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland) and Spain.

endoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? Buy the Europe Maps CD and make your own cards, a couple of maps at least must fit on a 512MB card. Then take laptop with you and adpat card from CD for each country you visit. saves a fortune surely.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Most people dont have a laptop to cart round with them. Nor do they want the full Europe maps.

I think this will only be viable if you visit a country on a regular basis. Otherwise it would be cheaper to get the European Maps and a few SD Cards, especially as 1GB cards are available at less than £100 now.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, what is the score with cards of large capacity?.
A while ago i read in these forums that all sorts of problems were being encountered with 512mb cards, let alone cards of 1gb.
Issues i recall were the unit slowing up and taking a while to plan a route.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only used cards of 256Mb capacity on the GO at the moment. We have some 1GB cards on order so the first thing I will be doing is testing them with GO and other hardware.

In theory there should not be any issues, but it depends on a lot of things and can often be a percieved slowness. When I get time I will do a comparitive review of memory cards, only problem is this is a lengthy and costly process.

I have used some SanDisk cards (which are supposed to be poor performers) in both my iPAQ 2210 and TT GO with no percievable drop in performance. But that is just perception. I want to get a test bed set up so I can perform some scientific measurements.

If there are any Memory manufacturers or retailers who would like to donate cards for us to try email me at mike@pocketgpsworld.com and we will give you a credit on the review.
ChristianJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently purchased a TTG, and the only flaw I can see is the outdated UK mapping - a major 1 year old bypass near my place of work is not included, which significantly hinders effective route planning.

Is it likely that the new mapping product being announced here will be significantly more up to date than that shipped with a TTG 4.21?

Plus, since all I wish to do is replace the UK map on my SD card with an updated version, does anyone know if Tom Tom intends to sell just the UK map data rather than the (expensive!) SD card version.

Finally, could I thank everyone involved in the Pocket GPS forums - I had many questions answered, both directly and indirectly, whilst I was considering my purchase.
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has used a Transcend 1GB card with no problems on his TomTom Go.
scrosland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: USA maps? Reply with quote

One thing that I am still looking forward to is the release of USA maps - I travel to the US on business so it would be really good to be able to load up a USA map of the relevant area before a trip.

Does anyone know if TomTom have plans to release the USA maps on CD or SD card?

Thanks,
Simon
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: USA maps? Reply with quote

scrosland wrote:
Does anyone know if TomTom have plans to release the USA maps on CD or SD card?

They certainly have plans to release on at least CD, but I have no idea of timescales.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few questions though...
Is there a limit to the number of maps that can be installed, and successfully run on one SD card? Can I plan a non-stop route from the UK to somewhere in Europe?

I know that in the past if I installed more than 344MB worth of maps (TTN3), I could almost hear my iPAQ heaving. Just hope the same problem does not exist with the GO.
brendanhoar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docdoc wrote:
My dad has used a Transcend 1GB card with no problems on his TomTom Go.

I'm using a PQI 1GB SD card on my TTG without a problem. Still sort of bummed I can't get the entire US mapset on it though (close though, at ~1.1GB, v4.40 with 5 voices). When 1.5 or 2GB SD cards come down in price, it'll be perfect.

-brendan
alexrobonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Not wanting to rehash an old confo, but thought that this is a good place to post - what size SD card is included with the brand new TOM TOM GO's?
I'm in the UK, and have just ordered one, but am interested to see what the capacity is.

Also, the release that TomTom have recently put on their website - what exactly does that update? Is that updated mapping data, for the UK?
How do I get updated mapping data (like someone said above, about the bypass that is not on their Tom Tom, for instance)...?

I appreciate your time!

Best wishes

Alex Smile
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK GOs come with 128Mb SD card as standard.

For most of us, removing all the voices we won't ever use (leave the 2 english english voices unless you especially like the american twang) frees up plenty of space to support the speed camera POIs etc.

The only time you are likely to need a larger SD card is if you want the european maps loaded as well. Or the US ones. In which case, buy the biggest SD card you can afford.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather from the various discussions, the TomTom Go 4.42 software available from the web site is NOT mapping update, but a software update for the device. If you have v4.21 installed in your device, then it is worth upgrading to 4.42 as you gain the ability to customise the POIs (like adding the safety camera database). TomTom will not publish map updates for download due to both licensing issues and the size of the files, and map upgrades for existing users wil ultimately be sold on CD. When the next update will happen is unclear, but it seems most likely to be yearly. TomTom have said via email that they will not be offering frequent updates, and users of earlier TomTom products have said that annual updates are the norm.
alexrobonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your informative answers! Smile

Just awaiting the delivery of my GPS from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk now! Smile

Best wishes

Alex

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: