Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can this be done
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can this be done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Can this be done Reply with quote

Ok need a bit of advice. i am an emergency Dr and have just moved to wales so dont know the area very well.i sometimes get called out to to attend an accident on say west bound carriageway just past junction 24 of the M4 or 1 mile north of town X on the A470. is there any package that can take me there without an actual address? as reading a map and driving or stopping to ask directions are dangerous and slow me attedning. i know smart nav is not the remit of this forum but that srpings to mind
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the navigation packages do actually know the exit numbers on the major motorways (like "exit 24 on the M4") Another would be to look for an intersection ( A470 and town road) - maybe that would work?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently (since getting my TomTom3 system) started using www.streetmap.co.uk to find the location I want, and then get streetmap to give me the nearest postcode. Then I can use the uk postcode program to instruct TomTom to get me there.

With streetmap you can search for your own postcode (you could make this page a favourites entry for your browser to save time). Zoom out to a bigger picture, click on the general area you want to get to, zoom back in, then at the bottom of the map page click on the link entitled "click here to convert/measure coordinates".

After clicking that link you get another web page which gives you various coordinates, plus the nearest postcode.

Obviously if you are out on the road when this call comes in it's unlikely to be of much use - but if you were at home with an Internet connection then maybe it could be a time/life saver - 2 minutes spent finding the postcode could save 20 minutes trying to navigate by other means.

Alternatively, would it not be possible to have the authorities that send you out on these jobs do the legwork with streetmap and give you that postcode?

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: