Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gutted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gutted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Gutted Reply with quote

It took hours of effort spread across two weeks to get my iPAQ, TomTom3, POI-warner, Multimap, postcodes, mobile phone, etc.etc. all working together. A pretty painful process but I got there in the end. I even did two journeys in the car and used it in one direction. I couldn't do both directions because I only had one Lighter socket to keep the iPAQ charged. The bluetooth GPS runs out after 2 hours.

So while I waited until I was near a shop to buy a Lighter socket splitter I put away the iPAQ. We had lots of visitors and I never touched the iPAQ for two weeks.

So experienced GPS'ers know what I am going to say next! Yes - the iPAQ was completely and utterly flat. Presumably the MS Outlook had come up with a message and now all has been lost.

I did think I had taken a backup after loading TomTom so I tried to load it. Absolutely useless - TomTom even asks me to reregister etc.
I am really annoyed that such a silly thing could completely undo all my configuration. I don't know whether I will ever recover enough enthusiasm to go through all that configuration again.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a painful experience, isn't it? This is normally the moment when you get serious about doing backups.

Recreate your configuration, and when everything works as desired do a backup to the storage card. That way if it runs out of juice again you can quickly restore the previous state.

TomTom may ask you to re-authenticate but it will use the same registration information (it won't eat up the number of attempts you have)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you invest $11.75 on Sprite backup premium edition besides doing regular backups you can configure it to do an automatic BU when ever the battery falls bellow a your pre determined level of discharge. Well worth the dosh!!
dave http://www.spritesoftware.com/upgrades/upgrade_ipaq.html
PaperRustler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Ref Gutted. Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your problem, I am having a back up issue, When I try to back up myipaq to the Sd card it says that there isnt enough room, despite well over 100mb free (It says the file is 20Mb) anyone any clues?

I learnt several years ago that whilst pocket Pcs make life easy they are only as good as the info they store, I made a promise to keep at least 3 seperate back up copies; at worst i will only lose 1 weeks worth of Info.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your SD card may be too fragmented and not have enough contiguous space available for the backup file.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the commiserations and advice!
Although I did do a backup somewhere along the way I did not pay much attention to it. I copied the backup file across to my PC.

I used the iPAQ backup and produced a 6M .pbf file. I now see I also have an Activesync Backup option on the PC but this seems to be looking for a different type of file. There is also an option to do automatic backups. Would this have been able to restore all my configuration details if I had spotted it before? Does it work better than MS add-ons usually do?

Since I’ve just lost all the configuration on ALL my added applications I am not very keen on getting any more – especially ones that have to be paid for.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe backup program that 's built into the iPAQ is not too bad ( astripped down version of the Sprite backup mentioned earlier).

I would be careful with the ActiveSync backup - too many things can go wrong there. Better do the backup directly on the device.

If you want to reliably schedule the backup you will have to use the full version of Sprite. The built-in version kinda supports scheduling but it's not too stable.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have started all again Sad
I reinstall OS memory-map2004 - very easy slick installation. Then I had to relocate the jiggery-pokery to TT3 to allow MM2004 to use the BT GPS port. But now I have another problem - apparently it is not a trick I can do twice suggested here I just cannot get both to work to the GPS - even with a TT3 reinstall.
When I remove the TomTom ~ GPS program and set the port to Com8 MM2004 works fine but TT3 Navigator gives a message - GPS Disabled and 'Unable to launch the GPS control panel' . I've emailed TT support and wait in hope.

...or I suppose it might be quicker to completely start again with a hard reboot and reload absolutely everything Sad Sad ...ohhh no I think I need to go and lay down somewhere
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom support sent me an older GPS driver this morning and so now I have got TT3 and MM2004 both using the GPS - and reinstalled POI-warner.

They did not send any install or configuration details but from my previous experience I guessed I needed to change TT GPS setting from the "old/new" default GPS setting of Com1 to COM8 Bluetooth. (my original TT3 settings were automatic defaults)

Now I will be more careful with backing up - I now use both the iPAQ and Activesync.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: