Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Customized voice on TTG 4.4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Customized voice on TTG 4.4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Customized voice on TTG 4.4 Reply with quote

Hello, did anyone succeeded in adding customized voice files in TTG as claimed by the enhancements of the update? I tried different formats such as WAV but nothing happend. Five days ago I sent an email to TT Technical support but the question is still unanswred.
Regards Avi
parney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

I have the same problem...Tomtom support answered another question of mine straight away (no plans for london congestion charge zone like on nav 3) but are avoiding the question on voice changing....strange..i think they have cocked up somewhere on their press release or maybe there is a safety issue relating to this flexibility..who knows...
Also one of the guys who runs this website (Mike) was e-mailed by me direct but has also shyed away from the question.Frustrating isn't it...

P.S. I have started to manually enter a POI containing warnings at all the roads that enter into the congestion zone in london if you or anyone interested in a copy.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!

Guinness Not allowed to take time off for my sons 21st birthday am I?

You only emailed me Saturday afternoon.

The answer to the basic question is "I dont know" as I have never had the requirement to do it. We reported what TomTom issued in the release announcement. If you go to the TomTom site there are voice files there for TomTom 3, maybe those will work.

Obviously there is some way to create new voice files as this has already been done so someone out there must know how to do it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parney wrote:
Also one of the guys who runs this website (Mike) was e-mailed by me direct but has also shyed away from the question.Frustrating isn't it...

Do you have any idea how many emails we get each day? Thousands. We can't answer all of them personally so we are having to reply with form responses asking that you post your queries in the forums. Don't forget, we don't work for TomTom and all have day jobs, this site is run in the hours when we're not employed! Having said that we will always try to help where we can, but some patience may be needed here ;)
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I received an email apologizing that they did not react to my email, and promised they will come back (soon) with an answer. The interesting thing is that I have another outstanding (technical) email they did not reply to it either, namely with the reduced capability with ASN in 4.4 in comparison to the 2.1. It seems they are very cautious when answering inquiries on any published enhancement that we experience difficulty with it.
Regards, Avi
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, in my previous email I meant Tomtom Technical Support
Avi
parney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appoligies Mike, I do realise that you guys do a super job in your own time. I guess myself and Avi suffer from an impatience syndrome when
faced with tomtom/pocketgps world quiet periods to difficult questions.

One final question Mike. Where are those tomtom voice files on their website again...having trouble finding them.

Cheers

Parney.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice files are at this link http://www.tomtom.com./support/rightnow.php?p_new_search=1&p_search_type=3&p_search_text=voice It is claimed that they are for all versions of Navigator.
parney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link doesn't work mike...tried it several times.
Also, it is tomtomgo im after not navigator. Tomtom go doesnt work
with wav files i dont think.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above link does work albeit slow to open, but the voice files are located here:
http://www.tomtom.com/addons/index.php?Language=1&Product=31&Category=6

They are for navigator so how you would get them onto GO I have no idea.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so called customized voice files at Tomtom. With no explanation about the format. The 4.4 update claims that a user may install own customized. The problem is which format.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, TTG is not capable of reading WAV files. They are either *.vif (voice information file) and/or .chk

Try using the original CD that came with TomTom in your CDROM drive and run it. I believe there is an option to uninstall unused languages on the TomTom installation wizard. You may be able to see the format from there too?

I don't have a GO, I have read this info elsewhere so don't shoot me if it's not helpful.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
brendanhoar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
Nope, TTG is not capable of reading WAV files. They are either *.vif (voice information file) and/or .chk.

Took a look at the dataxx.chk files. They don't seem to have a known header (using the `file` command on a rather ancient linux box). They aren't fully compressed because they *do* contain substrings such as Xiph, Ogg and Vorbis...

So, clearly, they contain Ogg Vorbis* compressed audio files, concatenated together in some sort of archive format which may or may not be proprietary to the TomTom Go.

IF proprietary, possibly not too hard to reverse engineer, assuming they aren't trying to lock out alternate voices.

-brendan

* for those still living in the 90s, that's a format similar to mp3 without the patent restrictions.
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you can read German take a look at this forum
http://www.pocketnavigation.de/board/thread.php?sid=9e813b812a6b7873fd80197a346077e8&postid=316033#post316033

GhostWheel has written a little app to extract all the oogvorbis files from a dataxx.chk file or combine the files into a dataxx.chk file format :-D
look for Vsplit http://ghostwheel.de/viftool.zip

I've had a play and am stuck with ogg vorbis bit/sample rates
I #think# the sample rate is 22050 kHz mono and the bit rate is 40kbs but am unsure
I've been having problems getting GoldWave to load and play files split from and dataxx.chk files - although the previous version of Goldwave did load dataxx.chk files directly and play the frst voice sample correctly,
I presume it ingores the header and other rubbish

Need a bit more time looking at the oggvorbis file format to work out whats going wrong

So close!

Ideas for voices so far...

Stephen Hawkings .... easy one that ;-)

Murray Walker - "In, two, hundred, yards, turn right, no left"

HAL the computer from 2001 - "I'm Sorry Dave, You've reached your destination"

Charley the Cat from the old public information cartoons " MEeeoooww, meeooowww, Mew"

Scooby Doo - "turn White"

Mother Clanger

Neil Armstrong - "In 200 meters, 100 meters , BEEP, turn right, BEEP, copy that Huston"

Marcel Marceu -

and so on.....

Now I need a friend who's good at impressions!

Dave
brendanhoar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave -

That's awesome, thanks! I'll check it out.

-brendan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: