Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map software for VFR Charts. Good news.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map software for VFR Charts. Good news.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flubman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Memory Map software for VFR Charts. Good news. Reply with quote

Being a newbie to GPS I am trying to get my head around it all.
I am currently speccing a system so I can use a ipaq4150 with GPS in car and more importantly in the air.
The memory map and CAA VFR charts look ace, but it is confusing to work out what software is needed to use the charts as a moving map once airbourne. Till now.

I spoke to the guys at memory map and they say things have moved on since the review of their software was written on the avaition section of this fine website. Memory map nolonger use the terms Discoverer or Navigator for their software. The new Memory map software is called Memory Map OS 2004. Apparently you get the full software package which includes full moving map functionality with any of the OS map bundles, even the single area maps priced at about £40. (I beleive that in previous versions, only the more expensive Navigator bundles included moving map functionality.) Then you buy the CAA VFR charts as well which runs with the 2004 software.

This I thought was good news as really I only really want Memory Map for the VFR moving map. So buying my local area OS map and then the VFR charts willlcome to less than £100. Much cheaper than the previous proposal from Memory Map.

Just thought I'd share this for anybody else in a similar confused state over how to get the moving VFR chart on a PDA!!

Happy flying.
jmcazaux
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly worth having a look at PocketFMS before buying anything else...

Maps might not be as detailed as scanned aviation paper maps (although donating improves things a lot it seems) but as an aviation package it has everything you can ask for or almost.

It is "donationware"... see website for details.

The really good thing is that developpers are really opened to suggestions.

I only used it once in flight untill now (newbie in GPS world as well ;) ) but it was really good and easy to manage in flight.

Hope this helps.
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree check out the PocketFMS software, I have been using this for weeks and its really worth the price (free) however you should make a small donation if you can and it can be any amount! I have tried the NavGPS, Teletype GPS and this one so far beats them all. It works great in the air and has given me no trouble at all. Donating will get you detailed maps more so than what you get in the shareware program, however you have to donate a specific amount (not much) to get the access to those maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: