Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V3 & TomTom GO - Upto date map data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V3 & TomTom GO - Upto date map data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom V3 & TomTom GO - Upto date map data Reply with quote

Before I start, let me say I'm trying to make this information available so that as a group we can put presure on TomTom to make this avialble, and not to encourage software theft.....

I can confirm that TomTom do have upto date mapping data that works with TomTom V3 Traffic V3.05T, but for some unkown reason they are unwilling to make this available to customers, either as free or chargeable update. They do not have to recompile or purchase new data....

If you have access to the TomTom GO CDROM, use the add maps option during the installation process and install the maps to a new memory card.

Initially I thought I'd be able to just use the new memory card with the updated maps, but for some unkown reason TomTom refused to start.

However if you carry out a completely new TomTom V3 installation (hard reset maybe required) and activate TomTom V3 with the TomTom GO map data all is OK, works like a dream.

The map data is bang upto date, my road is now showing, all the new roads in and around the M6 toll road are there, including the toll road.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom V3 & TomTom GO - Upto date map data Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
I can confirm that TomTom do have upto date mapping data that works with TomTom V3 Traffic V3.05T, but for some unkown reason they are unwilling to make this available to customers, either as free or chargeable update. They do not have to recompile or purchase new data....

All GPS companies have more up to date data than is currently available in the public realm, otherwise they wouldn't be working on releasing the latest product to market. It's all about logistics and costs, and whether it's worth while to release new fixed/updated data at a huge cost to the company or suffer in the future from it by having people goto another product. Logistics, costs and risk analysis at the end of the day.

I have spoken with TomTom regarding map update data, esp for M6 toll road for TTN3, and had no response back regarding whether TomTom will make an update available in the near future either by CD or digital download.

SpeedCam wrote:
If you have access to the TomTom GO CDROM, use the add maps option during the installation process and install the maps to a new memory card.

You have to be careful here, because technically you are going against the license, you are mixing and matching software and that is not the intent from TomTom or granted in the license, so technically you are doing this illegally. However, I suspect it is a bit of a grey area if you have purchased both TTN3 and GO, you in theory aren't pirating software and costing the loss of a sale, but you pirating the data and using it for not it's intended use.

The easiest way to grab their attention is by way of petition, or mass email from their client base to attract their attention to this issue. We have no objections if a petition thread were to be started here, or similar to the active letter DavidW created earlier.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So if this is correct would it be possible to buy a set of tomtom go maps of Europe (if these exist) and thereby get a (more) upto date map of the uk?

I have the ttn3 euro maps all ready so have no interest in this but I guess others are. Also how does tomtom go activation work - or have they not bothered as go is more of a consumer product?

My bet is that at some point an update to TTN3 will come out which will only work with the original map data - I would think this is a very easy tweak to impliment.

Ian
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
My bet is that at some point an update to TTN3 will come out which will only work with the original map data - I would think this is a very easy tweak to impliment.
TomTom have a track record of only updating their mapping data by releasing new versions of the software, which normally ocurs yearly. This goes back to the "old days" when they only produced software for Psions, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No .............. my point was that they will cripple the current app to work only with the map data supplied with ttn3 and stop it being able to use the maps which come with GO
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
my point was that they will cripple the current app to work only with the map data supplied with ttn3 and stop it being able to use the maps which come with GO
Ah, yes, sorry misread your point. I'm not so sure they will, more likely they will ensure with v4 that you can't do it though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: