Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS, GPS wherefore art thou GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS, GPS wherefore art thou GPS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Devices are giving away a SDIO GPS at the Pub Meet

EasyDevices.co.uk have confirmed that they will be giving away a GlobalSat SD-501 GPS receiver. This is one of the first SDIO based GPS devices, certainly the first one we have received for review.

EasyDevices.co.uk are giving us a couple of PDA car mounts to give away as well. These are the mounts that we reviewed in the Monster Mount Review.

To qualify for the draw you need to be pre-registered for the event and als be there on the day. We are doing this to ensure that these items are being distributed to the PocketGPSWorld readers rather than someone who has just walked in off the street.

If you have not registered yet, please send an email to pubmeet@pocketgpsworld.com. We will acknowledge your registration. If you have not received an acknowledgement within 48 hours please email webmaster@pocketgpsworld.com or post into this thread.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wont know until the last minute weather or not i can go will post friday hopefully ill be able to make it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Stratford Manor Hotel Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Less than a week to go now! :D

Yesterday (Saturday 28th August, 2004), Privateer and I attended the Town and Country Festival which is held every year at Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire. As Stoneleigh is only 10 miles from Stratford Manor Hotel, we decided to have a quick drive over to the hotel and see what it was like.

We didn't intend to go in and have a look around, but from the outside it certainly looks very nice. As you drive in the entrance to the hotel, there are automatic barriers on either side of the driveway - one to let you in (which opens as soon as you drive up to it) and one to let you out.

However, as we tried to drive out and stopped by the barrier on the way out, we saw a sign which said we required a 4-digit passcode to open the barrier! 8O

So we drove back into the hotel carpark and I ran into reception to ask for the code. I mentioned that we would be back next week for a function in the hotel and asked whether the code changes week by week or whether it would still be the same one. The receptionist said that the code is changed at random, so it is recommended that as soon as you arrive at the hotel, you check what the code is for that day so you don't get stuck when you try to leave! Wink

Privateer and I thought it best to bring this to everybody's attention so that other people don't get caught out like we did! It's worth bearing in mind if you are being dropped off and picked up next week, as the person dropping you off will need to be told the code before they can exit the hotel.

It might be a good idea for someone to bring a piece of white paper or card and a black marker pen so that we could stick or prop a sign up in the function room with the code on in case people all drift off at different times during the day. If it was left by the door of the room, people would see it on their way out. That way both reception and Dave/Darren/Mike will be saved from potentially answering the same question several times over! Laughing

BTW, the hotel pool looks very nice - are we all to bring our swimming stuff too? Wink Wink Mr. Green

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stratford Manor Hotel Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Less than a week to go now! :D

... As Stoneleigh is only 10 miles from Stratford Manor Hotel, we decided to have a quick drive over to the hotel and see what it was like. ...

Was the position that you gave in an earlier posting correct? See you there :D

Richard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Laura, I think writing the number down once is a good idea.

Hopefully we'll be looking to have a check-in which will not only allow for you to get your drinks but also for you to know the exit code too, and also allow you to be entered into the prize giveaway which will be later in the day.

If anyone wants the chance of winning the prizes, you'll have to stay until near the end when we're looking to have the draw. Wink
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed TTN3 has Stratford Manor Hotel in its Hotel/Motel POI.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that either (that TTN3 had Stratford Manor as a POI already)! Embarassed

When we arrived there yesterday, Privateer marked the location in the existing PGPSW Meet-Up POI (the one from the last pub meet in Hampshire) and was planning to submit it to the site sometime in the next few days.

The check-in idea sounds good, Dave. Thumbs Up

The prize giveaway sounds even better!! Mr. Green I'll have to make sure I wear my lucky hat! Wink

Bo Peep.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Active Speed Camera Reply with quote

Exclamation Another alert folks: Exclamation

While travelling down the A439 yesterday, we noticed a speed camera in an unclearly marked speed zone. The camera was active and was not in the Pocket GPS World speed camera database.

Unfortunately, we did not have time to make a note of its location, but please be aware of it on the day. It is on the opposite side of the road when you are travelling towards the hotel from the M40/A46, so if you are heading back towards the A46 on the way home, look out for it. Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Active Speed Camera Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
Exclamation Another alert folks: Exclamation

While travelling down the A439 yesterday, we noticed a speed camera in an unclearly marked speed zone. The camera was active and was not in the Pocket GPS World speed camera database.

Unfortunately, we did not have time to make a note of its location, but please be aware of it on the day. It is on the opposite side of the road when you are travelling towards the hotel from the M40/A46, so if you are heading back towards the A46 on the way home, look out for it. Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.

I guess that we will all be marking its position on Saturday Exclamation If I can find it on a police website then I will post its position in this thread.
MrCool
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MikeB"]email webmaster@pocketgpsworld.com or post into this thread.[/quote]
Hi, i`ve not had an acknowledgement for my reg. maybe my virus/spam checker didn`t let it thru.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warwickshire police website states that the camera is at Black Hill on the A439 (No map/coordinates). The data for a TomTom POI is

-1.66424, 52.22725,"A439 Black Hill, 60mph"

ie Longitude, Latitude,"Name"

This is the best that I can do. It is very close to the hotel so you should be slowing down anyway.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if anyone's wondering where the camera is, AutoRoute suggests it's just North of Stratford Manor Hotel, so if you're traveling south bound on the A439 you may pass it.

Laura/Robert, was the camera facing North or South or did it have a bi-directional head on it ?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The camera is a non-reversible one, and it points in the heading of the A46, so it points north.

BTW Dave, I’ve just sent you and Darren a copy of the PocketGPS Meet POI with the Stratford Manor Hotel.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So people should only have the opportunity of being flashed when travelling north from the hotel (on the way home) ?

I guess it's just a standard GATSO and not Truvello ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
So people should only have the opportunity of being flashed when travelling north from the hotel (on the way home) ?

I guess it's just a standard GATSO and not Truvello ?

If it's pointing North then it's targetting drivers travelling South surely?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: