Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie advice please - FAO Editor Dave and others
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie advice please - FAO Editor Dave and others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Newbie advice please - FAO Editor Dave and others Reply with quote

I tried to post this Tuesday (10th) but something went wrong so I'll try again;

I've had a little read thru the site, found some excellent reviews etc, but I just need one more nudge.

I've made a shortlist and now need further temptation from the users here.

Navman iCN 630
Garmin Quest
TomTom GO

It has to portable, sub £800, easy to use, and as a bonus, if it fitted in the glovebox it'd be great (VW Passat glovebox that is).

Any advice, or pointers, or personal reviews would be gratefully received, so thanks in advance guys

Sam

Last edited by mycarsavw on Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just bumping this up to the top in the hope of a response Embarassed
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're new to this then you do really want a semi-dedicated system and not want to mess around with PDA's, so I think you have narrowed your choice down quite well.

The only thing I will say is that both Navman iCN 630 and TomTom GO use TeleAtlas data, which isn't quite as good as NAVTEQ data. The reason for this is historically TeleAtlas have had numerous issues with categorising roads in nearby towns/hamlets incorrectly so sometimes you can find this could be an issue.

Garmin Quest is really too early to tell. It should be based on Garmin MapSource maps that use NAVTEQ data and are much better than TeleAtla in terms of searching for street names, but the maps themselves will look kind of basic compared to the nice 2D and 3D views that Navman and TomTom offer.

If you want something that is truly portable then either the Quest, a Street Pilot III Deluxe (approx £629) or if you don't mind spending a little over £800 the go for a Street Pilot 2610 which comes with a remote control. All these three will come with a bean bag mount so you won't have to suction it to the windscreen like the iCN630 or GO.
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing's ever easy is it.

I like the 2D, 3D maps, but as you say, finding the little streets etc is more likely to be important. We holiday a lot in Wales, full of little roads etc...

What do others think, it's like choosing a wife, do you go for the pretty looking one (millions of colours, 3D maps) or the one with the great mind(NAVTEQ maps etc)

Any help would be appreciated guys.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycarsavw wrote:
What do others think, it's like choosing a wife, do you go for the pretty looking one (millions of colours, 3D maps) or the one with the great mind(NAVTEQ maps etc)

Take a leaf out of Rod Stewarts book: Go for the pretty one and change it every year or so for a newer model. :P
mycarsavw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did take the leaf out of Mr Stewart's book, I went for the TomTom GO.

I sent out an email to each of the "biggest" online GPS stores asking who had it, how long it would take and what, if any, deals they had.

TotalPDA were the first to reply, so they got the order. Bit ropey at the start, but once we got over the initial ID details etc, the unit arrived this morning (Fri 20th). I jumped in the car and punched in various locations, small country roads, unmade roads and the like, and Jane (the voice!) got me to wherever I chose to go. Go off-route and within seconds she's planned you another route.

It is only my first use, and it was only for half an hour, but thus far, I'm impressed.

I'm off to Sunny Laughing North Wales tomorrow so I will report back then.

Thanks to both Dave and Mike for their advice.

Sam :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: