Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 Toll... yet again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 Toll... yet again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that this infringes copyright laws and this activity is not condoned by this site.

However I will check with TomTom and see what thier official response is.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that Mike will be able to make TomTom see sense and provide a legal way of running TomTom with upto date mapping data.

Mike maybe TomTom are going to surprise us all and release a new version of TomTom V3 (V4.00 mmmm) which has the same level of functionallity as the Palm & Go products along with the correct map data ? ? ?

OK.... I'm expecting too much.....
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>So can anyone zip up the contents of a TT Go SD card <

No need, TTGo CD2.iso can be found on the interweb, this has the GB maps (TTGO has N & S GB as well as all GB). Just install into TT3's Great_Britain Navigator Map directory (but save your Great_Britain.mid file or it'll want to re-register) and warm-start the Pocket PC. You should be up and running and have the M6 Toll road - although it's not shown as a motorway (blue) but as a major trunk road (green).

But, a friend who has done this reports that scrolling about the map is noticably slower than before and it can sometimes take an age to pop-up the location description when you tap the screen. I suppose the TT3 engine is a generation behing TTGo, so it's struggling a bit Sad
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<although it's not shown as a motorway>

Which after some testing on planning routes means that TT3 will prefer the M6. If you set the M6 Toll as part of an intinerary, then you still get a problem as TT3 takes you off and on the M6 Toll, for example using the A38 for a bit, as other 'A' roads have the same classification as the M6 Toll on the map.
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:
No need, TTGo CD2.iso can be found on the interweb, this has the GB maps (TTGO has N & S GB as well as all GB)
Had a good search but couldn't find anything - I guess it is not easy to find for a reason? Wink

Mike
MikeC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, any response back from tomtom as to whether they can allow us access to the TTG maps for tt 3 ? I am keen to get the latest maps....

SLAND, I suspect when they say easy to find on the internet they are refering to something like Kazaa or Emule.....

Cheers, MikeC
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's official response (from the directors) are:-

1) TomTom do not have a problem if both products were paid for by yourself.

2) TomTom do have issue if you have TTN3 and your friend has GO and you share maps between you. When you buy GO or TTN3 you are also purchasing a single user license to the supplied map data. This license is non transferable. When we do map updates we pay an update royalty to TeleAtlas.

3) TomTom cannot make the updated maps available for download via the internet because they are generally too big for download and TomTom would incur an upgrade royalty liability on each upgrade that was downloaded.

So, if you have both products legally license, you are okay to swap maps between GO and TTN3. If you don't, you're taking matters into your own hands and it's illegal!
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked Tom Tom why the maps on TT3 are not as up to date as TT Go. Their snotty response was that the maps would be updated as and when their map supplier updates them. They completely failed to acknowledge that maps for TT Go already have the M6 Toll and therefore that the map supplier has already passed this info on.

I have challenged them again as to why this is the case and will let you know what their reply is!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with most companies Technical Support don't always know the full in's and out's of when the map data was released, to which products and time scale limitations.
Otter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I work in a Marina on the West Coast of Scotland that was built 20 years ago. Every morning I drive into our car park which Teleatlas still thinks is water! Lord alone knows where they are getting their topographical data from.

On ballance I have been pleased with TT3, but I have to agree that the M6 debacle is very annoying when you drive through it. A patch to take care of this major glitch can't take up much bandwidth?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, and I can sort of understand what they are saying. However based on their response would I be correct in assuming that if I'm buying a new license today I should receive upto date maps.

I'm going to buy TomTom Maps of Europe, which includes the UK, therefore there's no excuse for the map data not being upto date. I'm paying for a new license for the data, TomTom have the data, can anyone confirm if the European maps include the M6 Toll?

I bet they don't......
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a reply from Tom Tom. They say that TT Go is a "brand new" product and is therefore shipped with the most up to date maps. TT3 is not a new product (released March this year) and is only updated once a year - no updates are planned at the present time!

Personally I think this is disgraceful as even if you buy a new TT3 you still get the old maps.

Perhaps this site could petition Tom Tom to issue an update. Preferably for free if you bought TT3 after the updated maps were available but I get the impression that most people wouldn't mind paying a small upgrade fee!
r6man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tried eMule?

sland wrote:
Had a good search but couldn't find anything - I guess it is not easy to find for a reason? Wink
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD news.... as expected I've just received my new Maps Of Western Europe and it includes the old out of date map data, the TT GO map data is better....

As a thought, this is very similar to food sell by dates ? I've just purchased a new map and the map data is past it's sell by date.....
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>BAD news.... <

Use the EU distance selling law and send the goods back within the 7 day cooling off period, no questions asked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: