Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOPO or Meridian Gold/Color?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOPO or Meridian Gold/Color?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: TOPO or Meridian Gold/Color? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm a complete Newbie and have been trying to decide which unit will suit my needs. I'm an advid Mt.Biker and want to map trail systems.
I've narrowed it down to the Magellian Gold or Color or the SporTrac Topo.

Any suggestions what will work better. How detailed is the Trac Topo? Am I better off just dowloading from the topo program and getting the 64 mg chip?

Other uses will be for fishing and some driving.
How important or useful is the color display?
What Features should I be looking for that a newb wouldn't think of?

Any Comments or suggestions are welcome.
Wook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the sportrak (not colour), but changed it for the Meridian (also not colour) mainly cos of the functionalityof having the expandable memory - SD slot.
Meridian is slightly more bulky but has a bigger screen, I use mine for Mt. biking too, and the bracket for the handle bar is v. good.

So I would definitely recommend the Meridian, but can't comment on the colour versions.
WillyRose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Any chance of an update from either/both of you guys?
In the process of spec'ing hardware and software for off-road mountain biking and want to make sure I buy the right kit.

Current thinking is Meridian Platinum - for its built-in compass and ability to plug-in SD cards.
Is it the SD cards which expand the Magellan's functionality to use other mapping products? Lots of talk about SporTrak only being usable with Magellan's own mapping offerings....

Any advice very gratefully received.
All the best,
Clive
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

WillyRose wrote:
Current thinking is Meridian Platinum - for its built-in compass and ability to plug-in SD cards.
Is it the SD cards which expand the Magellan's functionality to use other mapping products? Lots of talk about SporTrak only being usable with Magellan's own mapping offerings....

Clive if your main objective is to have SD or expandable storage then the Magellan Meridian range (or Platinum) really is the only solution unless you go for a Garmin GPSMap 76CS that has 115mb and an Electronic Compass and Barometric Altimeter.

Buying Magellan will mean you are tied to Magellan's Cartography, and likewise buying Garmin will mean you are tied to Garmin's Cartography. So you may want to step back and see if you can find some reviews of Garmin and Magellan Maps and see what maybe the best for your use.

The GPSMap 76CS (115mb) or GPSMap 60CS (56mb) will give you an Electronic Compass and Barometric Altimeter AND when combined with City Select will give you full Street Routing BUT no voice / audible prompts.
WillyRose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Maps for off-road Reply with quote

Many thanks for your response, Dave.
Yes, I appreciate Magellan and Garmin products tie you in to their maps.
What's more, their respective Customer Service departments appear equally useless - either not responding to- or not properly reading eMails!

Fugawi (?) or Memomry Map look like they might offer better detailed mapping solutions but I'm spec'ing this for someone else and I'm not sure that their budget will stretch to a decent PDA/Jacket AND software.

Magellan seems like good, sturdy (to be used for mountain biking), waterproof (with occasional dips in the canal!), functional solution with reasonable maps available for the budget.

Any additional tips would be very gratefully received, though.

All the best,
Clive

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: