Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP PLEASE! TomTom Navigator3 Wired GPS & iPAQ 4150
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP PLEASE! TomTom Navigator3 Wired GPS & iPAQ 4150
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davedsl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: HELP PLEASE! TomTom Navigator3 Wired GPS & iPAQ 4150 Reply with quote

I purchased an iPAQ 4150 together with TomTom Navigator 3 Wired GPS and the TomTom 4150 Car Cradle Kit.

One month on and I still cannot get them to work together. The Receiver does not seem to communicate with the iPAQ, although the Receiver does appear to be working correctly (green flashes).

I have set the TomTom GPS configuration as "TomTom Navigator GPS" using "Serial on COM1". Does anybody know if this is correct? TomTom Technical support have been totally useless and appear not able to answer this basic question.

Secondly, the GPS Status screen shows a satellite dish with a dotted line to a PDA. Please can somebody tell me if this should show a link straight as soon as the configuration is correct, or does the satellite have to be working?

I have tried a second GPS Receiver, but still cannot get them to work.

If it helps, I am running Pocket PC 4.20 and I also use my iPAQ to synchronise with my Laptop via a synch cradle.

This is driving me mad. If anybody can help I will be very grateful.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE! TomTom Navigator3 Wired GPS & iPAQ 4150 Reply with quote

Davedsl wrote:

I have set the TomTom GPS configuration as "TomTom Navigator GPS" using "Serial on COM1". Does anybody know if this is correct? TomTom Technical support have been totally useless and appear not able to answer this basic question.

That is what my 2210 is set to with a wired TomTom GPS.

Steve
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The dotted line you refer to should repeatedly fill in progressively left to right when you have a sat signal coming in.

How long have you tried it for? Have you put the receiver in a clear view position and gone away and left it for an hour or so to get it's first fix? If not, do so. These things can appear frustratingly slow to first fix if you sit and watch them.

Steve
Nissan Connect
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: I might have a similar problem Reply with quote

I have just bought a 2210 and TomTom Nav 3 with wired GPS (silver diamond shaped GPS). I can get the s/w all loaded up and working, but cannot get anything out of the GPS. I have left it in the garden for what seemed ages, and nothing. Can someone post EXACTLY what I should see. For example, Davedsl referred to 'green flashes'. What green flashes? Is the tranparent 'window' in the nose of the GPS actually meant to do anything?

On the IPAQ itself, I get exactly the same screen from the GPS whether it is connected or not, and no sign of any change. Am I just being impatient?

Help!
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Me again Reply with quote

I have just looked at the Nav 3 box, and the 'tranparent window on the nose of the GPS' shows as a green light. Is the fact I have not seen my GPS have a light there significant? Am I not connected? Bad GPS? Or does that signify signals being recieved or something?
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a stupid question, but I assume you have power to it, as you say you have tried it in the garden...?

Steve
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
May be a stupid question, but I assume you have power to it, as you say you have tried it in the garden...?

Steve

It's a wired GPS - doesn't it run off the IPAQ? There is certainly no place for a power supply on the GPS. But anyway, I have had it in the car with the holder powered off the cigarette lighter (or 'accessory power supply' in my non-smoking car!). There was no difference: I get the GPS screen with no sign of any life. No numbers, flashes, or anything, just empty rectangles, pale dotted lines from sat to PDA, 0degrees lat and Long, etc.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wired TT GPS, but it is the old one before they put on a flashing light. It needs power from the car for it to work.

You need to ensure that you are getting a good signal, ie not behind the front windscreen if you have a coated glass sort, and it will take a time from first use to find your location. Some cars need the ignition on before power is provided to the Ciggy lighter/ accessory conection. Both my MG and Vauxhall need the ignition switched on.

Hope this helps,

Steve
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far, but still no joy.

To recap: I have now tried it in the car, with power (light shows on IPAQ, 'no power icon from TTN not present). I left it there for 1 hour, some of which the GPS was actually on the car roof (car is in drive, but had to put it back inside cos of rain). No joy.

Am I meant to see something on the IPAQ to tell me that the PDA can 'see' the GPS, but the GPS hasn't got a fix yet, or does it all leap in to life once the fix is recieved? At present, when I have the GPS screen up, there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE between having the GPS physically not connected, and plugging it in.
ceand
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesM
This is exactly the problem I have with a Toshiba E400. If i sort mine out first (see ceand thread), I'll let you know how I (eventually) did it!
Davedsl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Tried it for over three hours as Steve suggested - No luck Reply with quote

Thank you for the information Steve.

I can see that many other people are having the same problem as myself. I think this is partly due to the really bad information that comes with the equipment. When you consider that the software, GPS receiver and the car cardle kit are all TomTom, I find that the total lack of problem solving information really lets them down.

I changed my GPS Receiver in case it was faulty. I put the new GPS receiver on my bonnet for over three hours. Still nothing seen on my iPAQ 4150. I have power (the cradle powers the iPAQ and the GPS Receiver. The GPS Receiver LED flashes green about 20 seconds after pwoer on. Just NOTHING on the GPS status screen to indicate it has a link to the GPS receiver. N & E both read all zeros.

I am going to reinstall the TomTom software in case there was a fault (I don't think this will help, as the software does allow me to get to the maps, etc), anthing is worth a go.

Incidentally, my Audi powers the kit with the ignition off.

I will let you all know.
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from DavidSL (yes, I know you can do this automatically, but this is quicker for complex quoting!)
"I can see that many other people are having the same problem as myself. I think this is partly due to the really bad information that comes with the equipment. When you consider that the software, GPS receiver and the car cardle kit are all TomTom, I find that the total lack of problem solving information really lets them down. "

Has anyone tried TOM TOM yet? Do they give any useful advice on this issue? Is the phone number useful and cheap? Or should I register and email?

"I changed my GPS Receiver in case it was faulty."

How - did you buy it retail, or on line? - I did the latter, and I am now wondering which bits to swap (if any, or all). In light of you having already done it, it seems unlikely to be hardware - unless they are so unreliable that you got a second dud!

"The GPS Receiver LED flashes green about 20 seconds after pwoer on."

Well, you are one ahead of me, I have never seen the GPS light come on, only the holder.

"I am going to reinstall the TomTom software in case there was a fault (I don't think this will help, as the software does allow me to get to the maps, etc), anthing is worth a go. "

Worth a try, although I have already done this! (No change)

"Incidentally, my Audi powers the kit with the ignition off. "

Ditto my Ford Mondeo. Whilst I am on the subject, anyone got experience of GPS with the Ford windscreen (the micro filaments - probably not an issue I would have thought, but might hinder signal?). This isn't my problem, because I've tried it on the roof, as I said earlier, but I need to plan where the GPS is going when I get it working!

ceand - thanks. I have read your thread. I am going to play with ports next (although given the TTN set itself up on serial cable on COM1 on set up, I don't expect much joy)
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Mondy with a quick clear windscreen and have used wired, BT and CF through it with equal success.

As far as I can detect, the wired screen makes no difference to signals.

Steve
Nissan Connect
ceand
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
I changed my GPS Receiver in case it was faulty."

How - did you buy it retail, or on line? - I did the latter, and I am now wondering which bits to swap (if any, or all). In light of you having already done it, it seems unlikely to be hardware - unless they are so unreliable that you got a second dud!

I have changed both the cable and the receiver without success.

Both items were bought online from different vendors and both replaced the 'faulty' item without quibble.

I too think it would be unlikely to find the same fault with two brand new receivers or cables.

Has anyone tried WinFast Navigator (downloaded from this site)? I tried it in NMEA mode at 4800 but even this did not produce a response from the receiver.
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve999 wrote:
Hi,

I have a Mondy with a quick clear windscreen and have used wired, BT and CF through it with equal success.

As far as I can detect, the wired screen makes no difference to signals.

Steve

Thanks for this - I suspected this would be the case (the filaments are way too far apart to be an effective block), however I am checking all options.

I have sent a question on my problems to TT - wonder how long it takes to get an answer?

BTW I decided to eliminate buildings or a dead spot from the equation - took the car and unit to the Downs in Bristol - top of a hill, nothing within 100 yards, almost 180 deg sky coverage, and not a squeek, even with the GPS on the roof. It must be a defective component, or some sort of compatibilty issue, which is annoying, because I didn't get bluetooth GPS because of the problems reported alse where. ironic or what!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: