Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - anyone used navigon and TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone used navigon and TT3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: anyone used navigon and TT3 Reply with quote

anyone used navigon and TT3

which did you prefer? what were the pros/cons of each?
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky enough to have had many SatNav programs bought by my employer for trial and appraisal over the last 6-9 months.

So far the following have passed over my desk (and my iPaq) all of the opinions here are mine, and may not coincide with what others think (after all opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one Laughing)

Alturion 5: Mapping data was ok, UI was a bit poor compared to the others, routing was ok, the voice used for navigation was American and reminded me of the 1983 Austin Maestro and seemed obsessed that I was exceeding the speed limit (at 60mph on an unrestricted dual carriageway - I don't think so)

TomTom 3: Mapping data variable - I had to drive past an error every morning - a bypass that opened about 4 years ago, and it insisted on turning off the bypass and through the village that was bypassed (even though the bypass was on the map). UI is good, voice is ok (there's a choice of 2 out of the box, and at least 2 more available for download from TomTom's website). Never tried the traffic - because I know the people I'm recommending for (sales reps) are not the most technically astute people I know so supporting GPRS internet and bluetooth seemed like a rod for the IT support guys' backs. Estimated journey times out by 25% or more.

Navigon Mobile Navigator 4: Mapping data is again variable - I again drive past a mapping error every morning on the way to work, UI a little more cumbersome than TT3, voice is ok (there only seems to be one available), route planning is easy to do. Didn't get around to trying TMC yet as I'm still awaiting the modular GPS arriving from Germany. Estimated journey times have been correct so far within 1-2 minutes per hour.

So which one am I using ? I'm using Navigon at the moment - although I have both Navigon & TT3 installed - the fact that Navigon comes with an apparently full set of European maps is a big plus to me - however what they call coverage of Ireland is laughable (between Dublin & Limerick on the N7/M7 there is nothing at all on either side of the road - apart from a few petrol stations - which is far from the truth). Having tried both Navigon & TomTom3 in UK & Belgium, they're pretty samey with the mapping data for both - so it's down to UI, and what you prefer.
digeeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a BIG plus for the Navigon is the map generation for those of us with limited storage card capacity and like to route across countries. OK I know TT3 has maps of Europe, but you still got to switch maps when you get anywhere.

And Ireland may be sparse, but not as sparse as TT3!!

Al

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: