Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 168 or Ipaq + Bluetooth GPS -please help decide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 168 or Ipaq + Bluetooth GPS -please help decide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Mitac Mio 168 or Ipaq + Bluetooth GPS -please help decide Reply with quote

Hi peeps - hope you can help me decide in my choice of new GPS PDA,

I already own a licenced copy of TomTom3 software which has been activated on my previous PDA once.
I understand that since it has been more than 7 days I should be able to activate on any new device I buy - is this a correct assumption before I proceed?

Right...A bit long winded - hope you will bear with me...

I have from £350 to £400 to spend.
I have narrowed my choice down to following 2 options:

1. Mitac Mio 168 with built in GPS from global or superetrader for around £250. I would also plan to buy some more SD memory and perhaps the Sandisk Wifi Card. I intend to use this setup with my existing TomTom3 software.

OR

2. Ipaq 2210 or 4150 coupled to a TomTom bluetooth GPS unit (people are selling them seperately on Ebay for around £80-£90 - does anyone else know a other suppliers doing them for the same price). Use with my existing TomTom3 software. Not sure how much car mounts and charge leads etc will cost for the iPaq and the GPS unit.

My main priority is a slim device which is easy to carry and can be used in the car without too many wires and minimal hookup time. I do NOT plan to use it on a daily basis - just occasionally when driving through unfamiliar places and in and around London where I still dont know my way too well.
I wouldnt mind being able to use it occasionally when on foot. I also fancy the idea of being able to connect using WiFi at home and work. Does the Sandisk WiFi card work well ?- I have read mixed reviews of it on the web.

I would like to buy a iPAQ - they both look like quality items. However, my mate used to constantly moan about his iPAQ and emtac BT GPS unit constantly locking up when used with TomTom 2. I even installed the updates for his TomTom2 software but it didnt seem to make much difference - he still complained. Is Bluetooth still tricky to use? The TomTom BT unit in particular.
Also a mate at work reckons the bluetooth on his older iPAQ eats battery time like crazy. Has this improved with the newer models?

My wife is a technophobe and will just love to wind me up if I go the iPAQ + Bluetooth option and the thing keeps locking up. This makes me wonder if the Mitac Mio might be the safer bet!!

Any advice and comments appreciated and apologies for the long post!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple points

- the Mitac Mio will give you a conflict between your desire to see the screen properly and the receivers desire to have a good sky view. You do not have these issues with a BT receiver (that can be placed freely in the car)

- you don't need to get the TomTom BT receiver - there are others around that are more reliable and last longer... (including the Emtac). You have a big choice here, also from a design point of view. (Let your wife choose the BT receiver 8) )

- on the iPAQ you can set the BT circuit to "low power-low range" this will reduce the range but still be sufficient for the car (unless you have a 18-wheeler and put the receiver in the back), and will reduce the power drain on the Pocket PC. On the other hand, the Pocket PC will be in a powered cradle anyhow, right ? ;-)

- Sandisk have just released a combo card - WiFi + 256 MB memory. Hmm...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lutz has said, a PDA with built-in GPS needs to be located where it has a good sky view. Additionally, whilst the Mio 168 has a good receiver it's not as sensitive as a good BT receiver and will suffer more problems in urban canyon environments such as a London Street.

There are better BT receivers than the TomTom so don't restrict yourself to just this model although if you can get a secondhand one complete with the cradle for a good price then you should be fine.

Unless the WLAN functionality is a must I'd go with the 2210, the benefits are the choice of SD or CF storage and you can get cheap CF WLAN cards for the occasional wifi use.
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed replies..

Ok - I see what your saying about positioning the Mitac - but I thought it came with an external antenna that you can attach to the built in GPS bit?

You didnt address the issue of Bluetooth connectivity problems my mate used to have with his iPAQ. Does this mean that his situation was atypical and that current BT GPS units work OK nowadays? If you can put my mind at rest regards this issue I may well go for the iPAQ 2210 and buy a CF WiFi card - I did notice how cheap some of them were at Ebuyer. I just dont want to end up with Bluetooth connection problems - am I worrying too much??

Also, can you confirm that I should be able to activate my existing TomTom 3 software on the new PDA - it has only been activated on one previous and it has been more than 7 days since. A FAQ on the TomTom site suggests that this would be OK - but I have read some posts on this forum where people have complained of activation woes!

Thanks in advance
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Mio 168 bundles come with the external antenna optio,, for others it's an extra cost option. Whilst this would resolve the issues described it's more wires and a rather untidy solution.

Bluetooth connectivity is rarely a problem given a good GPS and PDA combo. I would strongly recommend you use CF memory for maps data if you opt for the 2210, I use this combo and it works faultlessly but the 2210 is problematic when using SD for map storage and it is this that causes the majority of reported issues.

BT receivers provide so much versatility that they really ared the optimum solution.

Finally, assuming you have only activated once previously you will have no problem installing and activating on a second PPC once the initial 7 day period has passed Thumbs Up
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the ipaq 4150? Thats the one I went for, mostly because its slightly smaller than the 2210, and has built in wifi and bluetooth.

Sure it only has the one socket for memory, but you'd probably use the other for wifi anyway, which this has built in.

Also, it has the speaker at the top, which might help with audibility in the car, which could save you some money on an amplified mount (mine is fine without so far)
neiko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: 4350? Reply with quote

You might want to also consider the HP Ipaq 4350. It’s more or less the same as the 4150 with the addition of a keyboard and a higher capacity battery (1560mAh). Also, the speaker is somewhat louder than the 4150, as it’s larger and mounted under the keyboard I think.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin said " on the iPAQ you can set the BT circuit to "low power-low range" this will reduce the range but still be sufficient for the car (unless you have a 18-wheeler and put the receiver in the back), and will reduce the power drain on the Pocket PC. On the other hand, the Pocket PC will be in a powered cradle anyhow, right "? Can this be done on a 2210 and if so how Question

thanks
Dave
stuw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mitac installed in my RX8 in a low position using the Brodit car mount bracket. The GPS is in the Horizontal postion and I see the screen when I require to fine. The volume is good can be heard above the radio at normal volume for me.
With the GPS at this low position I have not had less than 8 sat's, I must admit I have not driven in amongst lots of tall buldings. But normal towns 3/4 storey buildings not a problem.
All the usual free sotware from Pocket GPS (all good).
I have just had two weeks holiday lots of driving no issue to date with the Mitac.
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RX8 - wow top car man.Mr. Green
I used to own a 2nd hand Mazda Xedos 6 and was tempted to get a Xedos 9 for the Rotary engine.

Thanks for the reply - but now you have gone and confused me again.Confused I was all set to get an iPAQ and Bluetooth GPS - but you have made me question myself...hmm...

One the Bluetooth GPS front - I have read the reviews for the Holux GR-230, Fortuna Clip-on and Navman 4100 and cant seem to decide which to get - they are roughly the same price. Which would the Pocket GPS team recommend? Any one stand out particularly?
ftlum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: New Mios are Xrac V2 Reply with quote

Just an FYI-- the Mitac Mio 168s being sold are now using Xtrac V2, which means they don't have to be that close to your windshield anymore. In fact, mine picks up signals inside my house just fine.

-- Frank

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: