Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any recommendations for street software for non-driver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recommendations for street software for non-driver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Any recommendations for street software for non-driver? Reply with quote

Hi There,

I'm thinking of getting a GPS receiver and upgrading to something better than TomTom CityMaps (European Cities) which I have at the moment. I'm fairly happy with the software but find that it doesn't include small towns and villeges which I'll be going to on holidays. I'm looking at Navigator 3 which I hope will have small towns like Zarautz in Spain but I don't really need inter-city route planning since I'll be travelling by train. Navigator is a little expensive at £200 for most of Europe. Has anybody an alternatives to Navigator? Reading PocketGPS Navigator seems to be fairly popular even though there are better maps from NavTeq.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapopolis looks like the ideal solution for you. You can download maps from the internet on a as needed basis. And it's cheaper, too

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded a demo. There are things I like about it over CityMaps - merges multiple maps, has street numbers, more POIs like beaches though missing metro stations. But still doesn't show enough detail (though more than CityMaps) in small towns. The interface is a little cumbersome and the map is harder to read than TomTom's, not showing the difference between sea and land make's it a lot more difficult to locate places. Also as far as I can tell it only works out car based journey times - I suppose that comes from it's US origin. So I'm still on the search but I'm disappointed that a lot of the software don't have trial versions which I find a little strange.

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapopolis does have metro stations. I agree, the POI interface is not really obvious... but the water features are present in my maps. What area are you looking at?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Mapopolis does have metro stations.

Doesn't seem to have any metro stations in Bilbao and only some EuskoTren stations.

Generally mapping software seems to be poor on the train network. I suppose they expect most people to use them in cars.

> but the water features are present in my maps.

It does have rivers just not the sea.

> What area are you looking at?

Northern Spain
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain is still not fully covered, neither by NAVTEQ nor by TeleAtlas. Check Barcelona - that's pretty complete. The rest is still in development.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: