Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to upgrade ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to upgrade ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: How to upgrade ? Reply with quote

Haven’t bought it yet, waiting for v3, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how you get new regions/levels for SmartST.

I’m wondering if all regions/levels comes on the original CD and you need to purchase unlocking keys (or something), or do you buy a new CD for each additional region/level.

Also wondering if there is a SmartST-‘Pro’ version. Some advertisers use the word Pro, some don’t. Or is this just another description of the normal/standard version.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for V3 for the PPC, it will be out in January, according to the Navman Store website. It will come as a Single Region for £79 or All Regions for £149. Even if you only buy the single region (you get to choose the region when you register) then you should still get the maps for the other regions. It's then just a matter of buying a further Unlock code. Considering the two prices, I wouldn't bother with the Single Region offering, myself.

When V1 of SmartST came out, it was called SmartSTPRO. V2 dropped the PRO tag and V3 isn't officially called PRO either. There is only one type of V3, albeit it different guises for the different devices.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

Tim Buxton wrote:
If you're looking for V3 for the PPC, it will be out in January...

Yep, I thought that too. Noticed though that one of the UK advertisers seem to be offering it as 'in-stock' now. Not that January is far off anyway.

Tim Buxton wrote:
Even if you only buy the single region (you get to choose the region when you register) then you should still get the maps for the other regions. It's then just a matter of buying a further Unlock code.

You read my mind and answered an additional question that I was thinking of but was too embarrased to 'load' my post Wink

Tim Buxton wrote:
Considering the two prices, I wouldn't bother with the Single Region offering, myself.

I agree, but see below.

Tim Buxton wrote:
There is only one type of V3, albeit it different guises for the different devices.

The retailer that I mentioned above and who I would like to do business with is advertising a 4100 with V3 and a 128Mb MultiMedia card. The package specs call it a 'Special Edition' and the 'in-box' says it contains the V3 CD. I don't need a MultiMedia card as I use SD cards, but if the CD is a straightforward/complete version I am thinking that I can ditch the MM card, initially install from CD and then buy an unlock for all the other regions... ie the 149pound option. Am I barking up the wrong tree here.. or just plain 'barking'!.

Ken.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link to the item? I don't see why your suggestion would lead to any problems.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Can you post a link to the item? I don't see why your suggestion would lead to any problems.

Should find it here Tim.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 4410 /2210 V2 combination from them (no problems). The price does seem to be too good to be true though. On the subject of upgrades i would Personally be happy to return my original V2 disks to Navman for a discount on the new version, say £40 on the EU version ( a bit like ALK's competitive upgrade (USA) ).
That way i get a good discount for being a loyal customer (1st registered user) and they can take the old serial numbers out of circulation and prevent them from being used by other people.
Anybody any thoughts on that idea ?
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that the "Bundle" Price is the same as the 4410 receiver on it's own.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sfi1,

sfi1 wrote:
Anybody any thoughts on that idea ?

I don’t even have my first system yet, so I can’t comment on upgrade policies nor knowledgably about anything gps. However I have noticed comments on these forums that suggest manufacturers are a little harsh when it comes to version changes (and new maps), but on the other hand, I am still a little in awe of the technology (I know I’m a late developer), so prices appear to be quiet good ‘for what you get’.

I might change my mind once I have bought V3 and V4 quickly follows
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfi1 wrote:
Just noticed that the "Bundle" Price is the same as the 4410 receiver on it's own.

Yep, same for the Palm version. Question

As if all this is not confusing enough for us newbies Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfi1 wrote:

If I were you Ken, I'd ring them up and ask why the two are the same price. £150 appears to be the going rate for the Navman BT rreceiver on its own and the V3 standalone software hasn't officially been released yet. I'd be surprised if you werer really going to get a £150 receiver and £80 worth of maps and software for £150, but it has to be worth a try. By the way, I can't recall whether or not you have a PDA yet.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
If I were you Ken, I'd ring them up and ask ...

I think I will Tim, nothing to loose. My obstacle is my location.. Spain. Normally the company does not deliver outside the UK, but I e-mailed the MD and he has said he would (with certain conditions). So he/the company are being really helpfull. However, I haven't got as far as getting a reply to e-mail questions I asked cust. services. The phone call might be the way to go. If it wasn't for the delivery 'conditions' I mentioned, I would just place an order, but it won't work for me like that Sad

Tim Buxton wrote:
By the way, I can't recall whether or not you have a PDA yet.

I have an Axim x3i which I hope will hook up with all this.

Can I ask.. do you ride a bike to go with your forum avatar?. Mine is a H-D and I am also going to try gps for biking. The only problems I can see is the gps reciever might not get a fix whilst being shaken senseless on one of Americas finest tractors 8)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-ES wrote:
I have an Axim x3i which I hope will hook up with all this.

Can I ask.. do you ride a bike to go with your forum avatar?. Mine is a H-D and I am also going to try gps for biking. The only problems I can see is the gps reciever might not get a fix whilst being shaken senseless on one of Americas finest tractors

Is the X3i a Bluetooth device? Dell's website doesn't mention Bluetooth as one of its connectivity options.

Yes, I ride a Triumph Sprint ST, and it's taken me to France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

For all of those trips I used my Garmin GPS V, but I did take the iPAQ and Navman sleeve to Spain and Portugal, where it was valuable in finding accommodation on a couple of occasions. I now use the iPAQ/Navman combination more and more on my Triumph, in a map pocket to keep it dry, and while I don't think my Trumpet is such a boneshaker as your tractor Twisted Evil then it does get a bit vibey at times...
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Is the X3i a Bluetooth device? Dell's website doesn't mention Bluetooth as one of its connectivity options.

Yes, it is BT and WiFi. I think Dell did a bit of fiddling with the specs on the X3i, perhaps depending on market region, some of them have it, some don’t !?!

Tim Buxton wrote:
Yes, I ride a Triumph Sprint ST, …

Never thought of getting a ‘proper’ bike then Tim Twisted Evil <only joking>

Tim Buxton wrote:
… and it's taken me to France, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

I’ve ‘Harley’ed’ through all of them except Czech Rep. and Liechtenstein… yes, I know… amazing what you can see from a breakdown truck window (before you say it Wink ). Norton’ed coast to coast (US) in my youth. The last ‘Trumper’ I had was an old bathtub ‘Twenty One’ (3TA), that served me very well as my first bike (tin removed).

Tim Buxton wrote:
… and Navman sleeve …

As a newbie, I’ve seen the term ‘sleeve’ a few times, what does that mean?

Tim Buxton wrote:
…and while I don't think my Trumpet is such a boneshaker as your tractor Twisted Evil then it does get a bit vibey at times...

I thought Triumphs were pretty smooth now days, considering they’re made from Japanese parts Rolling Eyes . Now that comment has sealed my fate, no more help from you Sad . But seriously, thanks for all the help and perseverance Tim... much appreciated.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-ES wrote:
Yes, it is BT and WiFi. I think Dell did a bit of fiddling with the specs on the X3i, perhaps depending on market region, some of them have it, some don’t !?!

OK, that's alright, then. Didn't want you buying a BT receiver then not being able to use it.

Ken-ES wrote:
Never thought of getting a ‘proper’ bike then Tim Twisted Evil <only joking>

Yes, I've been given the nod from 'er indoors to get the 2005 Sprint which comes out in March. Taunt

Ken-ES wrote:
I’ve ‘Harley’ed’ through all of them except Czech Rep. and Liechtenstein… yes, I know… amazing what you can see from a breakdown truck window (before you say it Wink ). Norton’ed coast to coast (US) in my youth. The last ‘Trumper’ I had was an old bathtub ‘Twenty One’ (3TA), that served me very well as my first bike (tin removed).

Actually, I made a mistake. Czech and Liechtenstein were done on my previous bike, a Yamaha Fazer 600.

Ken-ES wrote:
As a newbie, I’ve seen the term ‘sleeve’ a few times, what does that mean?

There were a couple of GPS manufacturers who made a receiver in sleeve form. I have a Navman SE sleeve. Both my iPAQs fit into it and it connects via a multi-pin connector. Look here for an example. Now that HP have changed the shape of the iPAQ, the sleeves don't fit the newer models.

Ken-ES wrote:
I thought Triumphs were pretty smooth now days, considering they’re made from Japanese parts Rolling Eyes . Now that comment has sealed my fate, no more help from you Sad .

I like low revs, because it pulls like a train from 3000. It gets a bit iffy between 5 and 51/2k (I suppose you've never seen that many revs on an HD Laughing ) which equates to 80-90 mph. Perhaps the new one will be geared differently.
Gun Shoot Out

Ken-ES wrote:
But seriously, thanks for all the help and perseverance Tim... much appreciated.

Glad to be of some help.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Yes, I've been given the nod from 'er indoors to get the 2005 Sprint which comes out in March. Taunt

You'll have to tell me your secret Tim. In order for my trouble to give me permission for a new bike, I'd have to give her my present one. Evil or Very Mad

Tim Buxton wrote:
I like low revs, because it pulls like a train from 3000. It gets a bit iffy between 5 and 51/2k (I suppose you've never seen that many revs on an HD Laughing )

You'd be surprised 8) ... Delkron engine cases, Mikuni 42mm carb, Sifton cam, Crane ingnition etc. I can wipe the smile off a few of the sports riders at times. Usually I enjoy just 'cruising' at sensible speeds.

Well, got in touch with the gps store today, they have that model in stock with SmartST V3 and they say the hardware is the same as the normal 4100 at the same price!.

I'm just waiting for them to tell me how to place a non UK order and I'll be set. I think that while I'm at it, I'll order a Seidio <sp> pda mount for the car. I can't see the built in pda speaker being much good in my rag-top.

Good luck with the new 'Sprint' :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: