Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 and Sharp bends
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 and Sharp bends

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarrenKarp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: TT3 and Sharp bends Reply with quote

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced TT3 saying 'turn left' or 'turn right' when there is nothing but a bend in a road? How tight does then bend need to be for TT3 to think it's a left / right turn?

Darren
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've noticed this. I've also noticed that it treats some T junctions as side roads from the right and doesn't tell you to turn left.
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced the same when turning right. Unfortunately this means that I cannot rely solely on voice guidance and have to keep glancing at the map screen.

I think this tends to happen when the road you are turning into has the same name as the one you are on. On the other hand, if the road name changes at a bend, then you are sometimes instructed to turn. Rolling Eyes
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed this issue.

This also happens sometimes at junctions where you have the correct priority. The paintwork/tarmack on the roads looks like they are well over a year old.
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have come across this as well , it always tells me to make a u turn on very sharp t junctions where the 2 roads run almost parallel
mgibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a little disconcerting when it says keep left when approaching a turn off onto a slip road rather than saying turn left .

I tend to use the voice guidance rather than the screen so it doesn't make it 100% clear whether i should actually turn off.

Mark
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many here I have noticed this on several roads the bend to the left or right - I get an inappropriate instruction to turn left or right.

The answer for me is that TeleAtlas or whoever digitises the maps does not know the priority of the (it's usually at some find of junction) road at the point you are approaching.

I've seen other threads saying the TeleAtlas are slow to produce maps (M6 Toll road), because they like to drive the road before it is published to the likes of Tom Tom. Well if they drove the road they would know what junction/bend priority.

I don't believe for one moment that they drive the roads. I would expect them to use aerial photograph and stereo photogrametry standard way of making maps used by the OS and others). This process would give you an easy way to digitise the roads, but in some circumstances TeleAtlas may not be able to see the junction priority, particularly where the priority of the junction had changed in the last 10 years and where no significant junction remodelling had taken place.
Memory Map
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also experienced what everybody has, instruction to turn on what is a bend. The answer I suspect is to do with the curve and angle of the road.
I have the feeling that when they look at these roads if the curve reaches a certain degree then the programme recognises that curve as a turn, hence the instruction. I could be completely wrong of course but it would seem to make some sort of sense.

Howard
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, GPS is a Navigational "Aid",plus a glance at the screen to clarify the manouvere.

As for the "M6 Toll Road" it IS on the TomTom Go, i drove to Eastbourne last week, and let TT Go do the navigating, "It's better than the wife" and it took me on the M6 Toll Road.

I had to divert at juntion 4 of the M40 due to an accident, so put TT Go to the test, as i had no idea of the area. Got re-routed via A404 to A40, back onto M40 at junction 3.

TT Go as the odd, turn left and turn right command when on bends, but on the occasions when it says them, there has been an unmarked road or dirt track near-by. So it's probably clarifying it's instructions.
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To agree with delboy0754, TT3 is an aid to driving!

It sounds like people are relying on the navigation software just a little too much, at the end of the day it is a dangerous situation to get into to rely on it too much instead of driver skill and judgement which good drivers should do anyway.
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC,

I do not think TeleAtlas survey the country themselves. Notice that there is Copyright Ordnance Survey on the maps. I think they take the OS data and then drive the routes to get the junctions and driving details correct.

Where I live ( a very small back road in Belgium), I am quite sure nobody has driven it because they often suggest a route from home that takes me to a track that not even a land Rover could drive. I must send an update to them.

Andrew
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across this a few times...

1) Scarborough Road in Driffield is the B1249. Just past the end of my road it hits a T junction where the B1249 continues right (still called Scarborough Road) and its a local road to the left called York Road. It DOES NOT tell me to turn right at the T junction.

2) Stamford Bridge in N.Yorks. It tells me to turn left over the bridge which is actually a sharp left with a side road going off to the right with the A166 continuing left. The street name AFAIK though goes down the A166 then up this side road with a different street name oveer the bridge.

From what I gather it is the way the software interprets the map data, using the streetname assigned to a road to decide what the junction is at a particular point.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive noticed this to and would agree with conor and richxda2
it seams to be the way a road priorotised at a juction ie if thats a sharp right hand turn in the road and a track running what would seam to be straight on if you were coming from the opposite direction then somtimes tt will say turn right as it think the track is a continuation of the road if were coming the oppostie way

and yes satnav is an AID TO DRIVING only Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very very suprised if TT calculated what was a left or right turn against when you have the right of way. I would be fairly sure this sort of information is pre-programmed into the map.

Personnally I usually have the sound instructions turned off anyway, so wouldn't know if this is a big problem :P

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: