Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN Traffic ,bluetooth and GPRS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN Traffic ,bluetooth and GPRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: TTN Traffic ,bluetooth and GPRS Reply with quote

I have a company phone and a private phone.One is a Nokia 6600 (Company) the other is a Motorola V500 (Private)both on Orange contracts. bluetooth is enabled on both but on searching both devices from my Ipaq 3970 with PPC 2003 i see only the Nokia 6600 has a bluetooth serial port.The GPRS is disabled on my 6600 (work have had it blocked) but on my phone it is enabled.For use with TTN traffic using GPRS will i need to connect the Ipaq using a bluetooth serial port ? If so the easy way would be swop Sim cards.Just after more info on connecting Ipaq to phone to use the GPRS with TTN3 traffic.Anyone give me some advice please ?
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution for you would be to purchase a dual sim adapter for your phone. This would go into the standard sim holder in your existing phone. you can then switch between the two cards by rebooting the phone or by a short keycode.

If both cards are on the same network you should not have to change your gprs settings.

Take a look at ebay for more info on dual sim cards.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TTN Traffic ,bluetooth and GPRS Reply with quote

Pat Boy Slim UK wrote:
For use with TTN traffic using GPRS will i need to connect the Ipaq using a bluetooth serial port ?
GPRS connections normally use the Bluetooth Dialup profile, not the serial port profile, so you may well find your other phone works fine.
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i take it i need to get the setting to create a dial up connection,and i guess i need to get these of orange ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Boy Slim UK wrote:
so i take it i need to get the setting to create a dial up connection,and i guess i need to get these of orange ?
I downloaded the Orange World PocketPC setup program which pre configured the ipaq to be able to connect via Bluetooth to Orange World, which meant IE could browse the internet - which is what's required for TT Traffic to work.

I've no idea of the exact settings, but it seemed the easiest way of working - it will also configure email for many of the popular ISPs too.

I installed it to save having to work out all the settings. Obviously you'll need to get GPRS enabled on the phone first, and have the phone paired to the ipaq. When I first set it up I simply went onto the PAYG GPRS plan (ie no monthly sub, simply paying as and when I use GPRS).
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could post the link to the orange world pocket PC setup program i would be gratefull.
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found the link,which supports a Nokia 6600 but not the Motorola V500.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went via http://setup.orange.co.uk - if you select the PDA first option and specify your PDA and ISP (I just selected a random one as mine is not listed - it's only to configure email) and then at the bottom is a link to download the software, which points to http://setup.orange.co.uk/mobileEmail/install/orange_mobile_email_for_ppc_2002_setup.exe which is a generic PPC 2002 install file. I just used this (although I did let it get updates to the software before use) and found it configured the PDA fine for the already paired bluetooth phone (mine isn't listed as supported either). However, a lack of support of the phone may cause you problems with it working, but it's worth a try.

The options to select a PDA and a phone are to provide manual instructions on how to setup (as far as I can see).
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you select Ipaq 3970 it only gives a choice of PPC 2002.If fact i couldnt find any software for PPC2003 which my ipaq runs !
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Boy Slim UK wrote:
When you select Ipaq 3970 it only gives a choice of PPC 2002.If fact i couldnt find any software for PPC2003 which my ipaq runs !
Ah - my 3870 is still on PPC2002, so I did not look further for a PPC2003 version.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: