Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - full postal code check
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

full postal code check
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adthelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: full postal code check Reply with quote

I bought a sat nav so i can find addresses like The Oaks etc(locate house names by full postal code). I have just acquired a TomTom Go and was informed it could do this

ie HP6 6RY

instead of

HP6 6 ......then house number

does any1 know how to do this as i am extremely upset as I have just shelled out £500 for a useless bit of kit which does not do the job I wanted it too.

Is there any software that can help me do this?
coffeebreak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: postcode database Reply with quote

Indeed there is a piece of software which does what you want! Try here..

http://www.digitools.co.uk/home.php

I only downloaded it yesterday so I haven't really tried it much but a friend recommended it to me and uses it all the time. Apparently it's spot on! Lets hope so anyway because trying to find an address on TomTom is terrible.

Good Luck
Simon
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that postcode tool does not work on TT Go, only TomTom for PocketPC.
coffeebreak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, didn't spot the "Go" bit. Sorry!

Simon Embarassed
adthelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am returning the TomTom Go to totalpda.co.uk. Wrong info when i bought it. They are fining me 20% of product value to return it. But am forced to do so as TomTom Go is
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you won't find any sat-nav system so far that will do a full 7 digit lookup because of the expensive licensing costs that Royal Mail charge for a full postcode database lookup. The most you will find is 5 plus the street name and house number!

Neils does have a 7 digit lookup for TomTom Navigator 3 as an add-on, I don't know where his data is coming from, seeing that the largest of GPS companies can't afford to have a 7 digit lookup in their program, I can only assume that the data has been sourced elsewhere or isn't 100% licensed.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

adthelad wrote:
They are fining me 20% of product value to return it.

I think that with distance selling you have a period of time to trial the product to see if it does what you wanted - Please check with your local CAB office.

Failing that - there's somebody interested in buying a TT GO. You may want to contact them. Here's the thread. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised you find Tomtom Go to be ''. Asking any GPS to find a house called 'The Oaks' is asking for a bit much tbh. Remember SatNav means Satellite Navigation. It is a navigation tool, not a address lookup system.

Personnaly I would use the post offices website to look up a post code and get an address, then just punch that in.

Also, as has been mentioned, rather than return it and lose £100, I think you could easily sell it for £450 on eBay, only losing £50.... but I'm guessing you've already sent it back Sad

I understand your a bit miffed though, if you were told it could do this and it couldn't. Was it the person that sold it to you that told you it would do post code look up or someone else? If it was the person that sold it you, do you have their name?

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi,

adthelad wrote:

I think that with distance selling you have a period of time to trial the product to see if it does what you wanted - Please check with your local CAB office.

Failing that - there's somebody interested in buying a TT GO. You may want to contact them. Here's the thread. Thumbs Up

Regards,

I totally agree, they cannot legally do this
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth trying to contact your credit card company (assuming you paid by card) as they offer some protection.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

You do have 7 days in which to return the product if you don't like it, exception to this is software. I believe companies can charge a restock fee on products after 7 days, and I believe companies can say that software is not returnable if the software has been open due to piracy. I'm not sure if this is covered in the distance selling laws, it may be FAST that define this.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming Tomtom Go needs some kind of registration too? Surely this comes into play too?

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
WebAgents
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyblissett wrote:
Privateer wrote:
Hi,

adthelad wrote:

Regards,

Actually, if you return unwanted but working goods under the distance selling reg's they CAN charge a 'reasonable' re-stocking fee. I think that 20% would be classed as reasonable by the courts.

However, if you expressed that you needed full postcode lookup and were told that it did then you can return the item under the sales of goods act as 'not as described'. As you almost certainly don't have that confirmed in writing then they might well say that they never said that it did and as you can't then prove it you are stuck again.

Why not try negotiating with them? They might allow you a full credit against further orders?

Regards

BH

I totally agree, they cannot legally do this
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speak to your credit card company. They are the actual owners of the product and if it is not hat you wnated/asked for then they will be able to help you getting a refund. If however, it was not mis-sold to you, then you will probably have to pay 20% if this is clearly stated in their terms & conditions.
Your alternative is to find a buyer or sell on ebay. You should be able to sell it for less than 10-15% loss I'd hope.
adthelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks every one for their replies. I answer too the guy who said i was asking too much locating 'The Oaks' didnt understand me. I need a function to enter a full postcode which would help me pin point an address such as 'The Oaks', which a partial postcode with house number can not do because it is a named house as opposed to a number. A full postcode search would allow this.

cheers again

Adam

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: