Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2nd PDA for navigation (cable and TomTom licence question)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd PDA for navigation (cable and TomTom licence question)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: 2nd PDA for navigation (cable and TomTom licence question) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a TomTom wired gps with TomTom v3 which I have been using on my Ipaq 5450 for a few months but i've been having a problem where the power to the ipaq is flicking on and off all the time - I thought it was the cable but i'm now seeing the same problem with the mains charger. Turns out the connector on the bottom of the ipaq 54xx is a really bad design.

I think i'm going to get a cheap 3850 or something similar just to use for navigation and keep my 5450 for pda duties.

So, my questions are as follows:

1) My 54xx cable should work fine with a 3850 shouldn't it?

2) Will TomTom be much slower in general use and route calculations? - My 5450 has a 400Mhz (X-scale?) but the 3850 apparently has a 206Mhz StrongArm.

3) What about TomTom licencing - am I allowed to install TomTom on both my pda's at the same time - I can only use it on one of them at a time anyway because I only have 1 GPS.

4) Anyone had any similar problems with the cable on the 3850 or indeed 5450?

Thanks!

--ian
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem on a 5550 and it needed replacing after two months. It is the mains cable that seems to do the damage with the leverage it exerts on the mini PCB that is inside the connector. Now I only use it in a cradle to avoid this problem.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps as I do not know if the 5450/5550 are standard, but I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago. The 3850 has the standard Ipaq connction, the same as the 41XX and 2210 types. The ones that are not compatable is the 36XX and 37XX.

Regarding Registration, it will work on two PPCs, and when you load it on the second PPC it will not let you load it on another for I think 6 months, so ensure you have a good back-up on he first so you don't need to re-load from disk.

I was using a 3850, and the calculation time was good, not a lot slower than the 2210 which has a 400MHz X-scale also.

My 3850 was unreliable, and of course not BT. But the reliability thing is down to particular machines.

Steve
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

So you are saying once you've activated it on the 2nd PDA, you can't even re-install it on the 1st one for 6 months, even if it already has had an activated TomTom on?

Why was the 3850 unreliable?

Thanks

--ian
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use TTN3 with a 3870 and an Emtac BT GPS with no problems at all. Indeed, the speaker volume was better than that of my 2210.

Your license only allows you to install TTN on one machine at a time.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I already mailed TomTom Support and they said "Yes that's well within the lincence conditions.".

--ian
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I already mailed TomTom Support and they said "Yes that's well within the lincence conditions.".

--ian

I'm curious, what specific question did you ask?

I've got the same problem at the moment. I just got the Seido cradle but my 5450 won't plug in easily as the socket on the 5450 is bent. Evil or Very Mad I've got a spare 5450 (back-up in case one goes like the first did a while ago).

I've backed everything up to my SD card and so can easliy restore to th backup 5450 but what will happen to the registration of TomTom? When I installed I never entered any details on the website, just installed and went.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just explained my 5450 power went doddgy and I wanted a 2nd PDA. They said as long as it was more than 7 days since the 1st activation, it would work on a 2nd machine.

--ian
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
Hi,

I just explained my 5450 power went doddgy and I wanted a 2nd PDA. They said as long as it was more than 7 days since the 1st activation, it would work on a 2nd machine.

--ian

Yes, I agree, seven days for the first replacement, but once you have loaded it onto a second machine, you cannot load it onto a third for six months. Now I do not know if you tried to load it back on the original machine whether it would let you. I wouldn't take the risk - all you have to do is back the first machine up when it is working OK and if it needs restoring use the backup and not the disk.

As far as reliability of the 3850 is concerned, I kept getting a "just in time debugging" screen appearing, and the only way past was a hard reset. I am convinced that it was just a bad machine. The 2210 I have now has not crashed once since I bought it, apart from the O2 support messing the settings up when I was trying to get GPRS working. so I hard reset and found the back-up didn't work - see seperate thread, this is an issue with TT3.

The volume was indeed higher on the 3850 than the 2210, but the sound quality was not so good.

Steve.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Got your post the other day but didn't get chance to reply. I've now got the 3850 and my replacement cable arrived back from TomTom so I installed TomTom 3 + 3.03 onto my 1st PDA (the 5450) and it didn't seem to need activating again - must have got it from the maps on the SD card. I then installed the same onto the new 3850 (with the same SD card in though) and this one said it needed activating and off it went and did it fine so everything seems to be well.

The 3850 seems stable enough the few test's i've done so as you say maybe there was something wrong with yours. The volume on the 3850 is loads louder than the 5450 but as you say, a bit too harsh and squeeky - too much top end.

Thanks

--ian
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--ian[/quote]

Yes, I agree, seven days for the first replacement, but once you have loaded it onto a second machine, you cannot load it onto a third for six months. Now I do not know if you tried to load it back on the original machine whether it would let you. I wouldn't take the risk -
Steve.[/quote]

Originally had an XDA, upgraded to an XDA II a couple of weeks ago and sent the XDA back for repair under warrenty, kept dropping the phone connection. Installed TT 3T on the XDA II when I got it. This morning the original XDA arrived back, re-installed TT 3T back on it, no problems, now have both XDA's working.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: