Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry guys!!! Im a bit of a thickie.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry guys!!! Im a bit of a thickie.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGTONE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Sorry guys!!! Im a bit of a thickie..... Reply with quote

How do I get the Speed Camera database into my storage card on my pocket pc? I have tried to read and absorb the FAQ's and I have tried everything without success. Do I need to get the Camera database into the POI Edit and if so how? I have put some of the other POI's from the POI editor without any probs at all. The only thing Im not sure on is do I have to put all the relevant programs into my storage card in order to load the camera database in or do I put some of them into my pocket pc memory in order to run them? This camera database is well confusing me and doin my head in.(which isnt hard) I would really appreciate any input tha gets me running on the cameras. I have the icon on the bottom right of my pocket pc(checkpoint 2.0) and from there im lost.
Many thanks guys.
Tone
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you loaded POIEdit and you have selected some POI's to be transferred, and these have appeared on your PPC and you have enabled them within TomTom POI Options screen by ticking the relevant POI, then all you need to do is the same for the Speed Camera Database, selecting the Pocket GPS UK SC file in POIEdit and have this synced to your PPC.
BIGTONE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your feedback Dave. I managed to get it to Sync to the Pocket PC. Not quite sure how I did it though :D
All that is left is for me to give it a whirl now. Fingers crossed it should be A.O.K. Are there any plans to update the database on a regular basis and can us pocket PCers email site co-ordinates to you for future updates?
Regards
Tone
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGTONE wrote:
Are there any plans to update the database on a regular basis and can us pocket PCers email site co-ordinates to you for future updates?

I think someone else mentioned it was updated every month?

Can I check a few things, being a POIEdit n00b Embarassed

1) The speed camera POI are the ones you need to pay a yearly subscription for, right?

2) What is the easiest way to update the databases if you know of POI that aren't listed (my local McDonalds and Tesco's in Finchley for example). Is there an automated processes?

Thanks.

(Hope you don't mind me asking some questions too BIGTONE, its just I'm a 'bit of a thickie' too when it comes to POI stuff Smile )

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the speed camera databases are free, including the updates. Real community spirit here!!

You can add POI's to our list by memorising their position as you pass them , then copy these to a POI, say one you created called 'my macdonalds'.

You can do it from a map too, if you know where they are.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyblissett wrote:
No the speed camera databases are free, including the updates. Real community spirit here!!

Really? Cool Smile

andyblissett wrote:
You can add POI's to our list by memorising their position as you pass them , then copy these to a POI, say one you created called 'my macdonalds'.

Okay, I managed to figure that bit ;) How do I then get them added to the database for everyone else though?

andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got my machine a week ago, and tomtom friday, so im working it out as I go along. It appears however, that two files exist on your PDAs storage card (assuming this is where your maps are stored) that end in OV2 and BMP. I think (???) that the OV2 file contains the locations and descriptions of the POI's and the BMP the picture that you see. I know you can copy these using file explorer, but im not sure how you get these to PocketGPS guys, perhaps email.
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'm getting there Smile

After realising I shouldn't look for 'Speed Cameras' but Pocket_GPS_SC I'm ready to roll Thumbs Up

A quick question though.... I thought these were regularly updated? The little blurb at the bottom when I click Pocket_GPS_SC says last updates Aug '03?

Umm, sorry, another thing... How do you go about getting SC removed? I can see some that have been moved near me, but both are showing I think (would have to go driving to be sure).

One final thing. Some other sites have the cameras in groups of 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 for the speed limit they are in. This means you can get CheckPOInt or whatever to check you have slowed down enough as you approach. Is this something that has been considered at all?

Okay...I think I'm done Rolling Eyes

Happy

andyblissett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought that too, but my version is may04.
Quote:
Umm, sorry, another thing... How do you go about getting SC removed? I can see some that have been moved near me, but both are showing I think (would have to go driving to be sure).
Sorry not sure what you mean by this -eloborate a bit

With repect to the 30,40 50 thing ets, no this is not included in the database, but I understand that this is being worked on at the mo. I do know that other databases do exist that havr this data, but to e honest i dont know how thorough they are. I find that a simple warning is enough for me, I can then check the speed the old fashioned way

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: