Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot PPC4 on Mitac Mio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot PPC4 on Mitac Mio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: CoPilot PPC4 on Mitac Mio Reply with quote

Hi All

Been using my new PDA/CoPilot setup and find, apart from the small mapping annoyances (it can't find places that my StreetPilot III finds immediately!) it works quite well.

However, there is a MAJOR problem with the screen on the Mio. The tiniest hint of sunlight (yeah - I know that's rich in the UK!) and the screen is totally invisible and useless.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem? Without resolution of the awful relections on the glass and no anti-reflective coating, the kit is completely useless to me - I drive a convertible!

Look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas on how to solve the problem.

Regards
Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are driving a convertible, then nearly all Pocket PC's and Palm's will be useless to you, because the screen isn't enclosed with a roof above it. You really need to look at something like a Garmin Street Pilot III, 2620, 2620, 2650, Navman iCN630 as these have anti-reflective coatings and much brighter (non-pda) style screens.

TomTom GO unfortunately will be the same as a PDA as it uses Pocket PC Screen Technology.
Casper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave

I thought that would be the case. A pity - because I rather like the CoPilot software. I do already have a Garmin StreetPilot III which I really like - the only issue I have with it in the convertible is its size, otherwise it's the business.

One other thing about the Garmin vs the CoPilot is the length of time the Garmin takes to realise you're off route. The recalculation time, too, is slow compared to the CoPilot.

Thanks again for your reply.
Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, Garmin have updated the re-calc speed dramatically in the newer 2600 series StreetPilot's which make them much better, and they are a little smaller, but still pack a high price compared to PDA offerings.

There is another solution, I saw a couple of years ago several companies coming out with Digital Camera LCD viewer attachments which basically gave you like a cube that velcro'd to the back of the LCD screens that enabled you to look at the LCD's in bright sunlight. I haven't seen any for Pocket PC's, but you might be able to make one together with a few bits of velcro. It wouldn't look as nice, but may help a little.
Casper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Thanks! Funny.... just been doing a little browsing for pricing. Looks as though the better bet is the 2610 even though it's older, because of the Microdrive vs proper install disks etc. I know one can now get CF cards of 1Gb so shouldn't be a problem unless the newer models are better than the 2610. Can you advise on that?

The only other issue I can see with the 26xx models is the fact that they seem to have done away with the earphone plug on the rear in favour of a combination power/sound/dead reckoning plug. I am just about to try and plumb the sound via a little "home made" box so that I can play it through the car speakers (convertible = VERY noisy!) and now I'm not sure whether that'd be possible with the 26xx range. There's always something, isn't there!? <g>

Regards
Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper wrote:
Thanks! Funny.... just been doing a little browsing for pricing. Looks as though the better bet is the 2610 even though it's older, because of the Microdrive vs proper install disks etc. I know one can now get CF cards of 1Gb so shouldn't be a problem unless the newer models are better than the 2610. Can you advise on that?

It really depends on whether you want the complete European maps loaded. If you do, you will need around 1.5-1.7gb from what I recall which is what the 2620 uses. You can certainly use CF cards, and they will be more robust and quicker at accessing the data then the supplied MicroDrive on the 2620. If you're really after just a single country map loaded at anyone time, then the 2610 will certainly be capable of that.

Casper wrote:
The only other issue I can see with the 26xx models is the fact that they seem to have done away with the earphone plug on the rear in favour of a combination power/sound/dead reckoning plug. I am just about to try and plumb the sound via a little "home made" box so that I can play it through the car speakers (convertible = VERY noisy!) and now I'm not sure whether that'd be possible with the 26xx range. There's always something, isn't there!? <g>

Isn't the sound loud enough when it comes through the speaker on the III Deluxe ? Usually the StreetPilot speakers are pretty loud, but I guess anything could be drowned out in a convertible!
Casper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

The speaker is great in a "normal" car but in the convertible it's completely lost. I am after plugging it into the radio system so that when it launches the voice the phone mute for the radio cuts in and the sound from the StreetPilot will come through the speakers.

Regards
Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm seeing a lot of is these mobile phone hands free kits now, where you clip a microphone over say the speaker of your mobile phone and it then amplifies it to a speaker. Some do it where you can put it into a cassette deck. Not sure how well this would work on the SPIII, but it may be worth a try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: